Installing VBScript on Windows 2000 Pro
Author Message
 Installing VBScript on Windows 2000 Pro

Hi,

Somehow, Windows Scripting Host was removed from my machine and I have
tried to reinstall it. None of my .vbs files can be invoked from the
desktop anymore. All .vbs files have lost their association. My .wsf
and .js files still work but not .vbs ones.

How do I reinstall Windows Scripting Host with the VBScript engine?

Thanks,
Mark.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Installing VBScript on Windows 2000 Pro

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/vbscript/scripting.asp

--

Mark L. Ferguson    Reply Only in Newsgroup
marfer's notes for OE 5.0 > http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/6386/IE_ng_notes.htm

Quote:

> Hi,

> Somehow, Windows Scripting Host was removed from my machine and I have
> tried to reinstall it. None of my .vbs files can be invoked from the
> desktop anymore. All .vbs files have lost their association. My .wsf
> and .js files still work but not .vbs ones.

> How do I reinstall Windows Scripting Host with the VBScript engine?

> Thanks,
> Mark.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Installing VBScript on Windows 2000 Pro
Sounds like you still have it installed, just the association got
broked (yes, it's bad grammar, but it sounds funny =)

Go to a cmd prompt and type:

ftype vbsfile

You should get something like this:
vbsfile=C:\WINNT\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*

If not, type:

ftype vbsfile=%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*

Next, put the association in. Type:

assoc .vbs=vbsfile

Now everything should work.

-Chad

Quote:
> Hi,

> Somehow, Windows Scripting Host was removed from my machine and I have
> tried to reinstall it. None of my .vbs files can be invoked from the
> desktop anymore. All .vbs files have lost their association. My .wsf
> and .js files still work but not .vbs ones.

> How do I reinstall Windows Scripting Host with the VBScript engine?

> Thanks,
> Mark.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Installing VBScript on Windows 2000 Pro
Thanks I did all that, and when I double clicked my vbscript, I got this message:
'There is no script engine for file extension ".vbs".'

What now?

* Sent from Devdex.com http://www.devdex.com The Web Developers Index *
The world's largest index site for web developers.

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Installing VBScript on Windows 2000 Pro

Have you tried Mark's suggestion?

Download/install the Windows Script 5.5 package from
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/vbscript/scripting.asp

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Thanks I did all that, and when I double clicked my vbscript, I got this
message:
> 'There is no script engine for file extension ".vbs".'

> What now?

> * Sent from Devdex.com http://www.devdex.com The Web Developers Index *
> The world's largest index site for web developers.

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Installing VBScript on Windows 2000 Pro

Yes, I tried that and I still get the same error. HELP!

* Sent from Devdex.com http://www.devdex.com The Web Developers Index *
The world's largest index site for web developers.

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Installing VBScript on Windows 2000 Pro

You can try this:

Find a working Win2K box and export the

HKCR\.vbs
HKCR\.vbe
HKCR\vbsfile
HKCR\vbefile

branches from the registry and merge them on the "broken" box.

I don't understand how WSH could have been removed from a Win2K Pro box -
they're system protected files that should self-repair.  Sounds more like
you just managed to get the registry keys hosed somehow...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Yes, I tried that and I still get the same error. HELP!

> * Sent from Devdex.com http://www.devdex.com The Web Developers Index *
> The world's largest index site for web developers.

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Windows 2000 Pro - Shutdown/Restart PC

2. Installing PPD for Windows 98, NT, 2000

3. Installing PostScript printer PPD on Windows 2000?

4. Install Printer with script on Windows 2000 Print Server

5. writing vbscript to know the OS of a remote PC ( is WIndows NT or WIndows 2000)

6. VBscript, ADO on windows 2000 is faster than C++ ATL, ADO

7. End Process in Win 2000 Pro

8. Deleteing User Profiles with vbscript on Windows 2000 Group Policy

9. VBScript & Windows 2000 - Problem with Conversion Functions

10. restart windows 2000 using vbscript

11. Win 2000 Pro Restart - Again??

12. Windows Script 5.5 Beta 1 setup for Windows 2000 available