Drag & drop into hta window
Author Message
 Drag & drop into hta window

Is it possible to capture the drag & drop event into an hta
window and provide an event handler other than the default??
Similarly, does IE5+ support intercepting this drag & drop
event handling?
I want to capture drag & drop of a folder and provide alternate
dehaviour to the default "display contents using Explorer".

Thanks,
 - Mitch

Sun, 09 May 2004 00:32:24 GMT
 Drag & drop into hta window
Hi,

 I took one of the samples, which work in IE, but was not able to let a HTA
fetch a file (dragged over from the Windows Explorer)!
Any informations and/or notes and hintes I am interested too!

BTW. it would be the absolute greatest, that you can create a dotnet class,
like one can do with a java-class, like

Set oClass = CreateObject("dotnet:MyClass")

;-)

BTW, thanks for your good java helpers for scripters!!!!!

Best regards,
Manfred Braun

(Private)
Lange Roetterstrasse 7
D68167 Mannheim
Germany

(Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

Quote:
> Is it possible to capture the drag & drop event into an hta
> window and provide an event handler other than the default??
> Similarly, does IE5+ support intercepting this drag & drop
> event handling?
> I want to capture drag & drop of a folder and provide alternate
> dehaviour to the default "display contents using Explorer".

> Thanks,
>  - Mitch

Sun, 09 May 2004 03:14:20 GMT
 Drag & drop into hta window
I've done a similar thing to handle drag and drop within an hta application
from external dropped file.
http://www.serialscripter.com/scripts/htanotepad.html

I've inserted an IFrame in the main page, and when you drop something on it
it will replace it. Just handle the onload event to do the job.

Hope this helps.

Jean-Luc Antoine.

Quote:
> Hi,

>  I took one of the samples, which work in IE, but was not able to let a
HTA
> fetch a file (dragged over from the Windows Explorer)!
> Any informations and/or notes and hintes I am interested too!

> BTW. it would be the absolute greatest, that you can create a dotnet
class,
> like one can do with a java-class, like

> Set oClass = CreateObject("dotnet:MyClass")

> ;-)

> BTW, thanks for your good java helpers for scripters!!!!!

> Best regards,
> Manfred Braun

> (Private)
> Lange Roetterstrasse 7
> D68167 Mannheim
> Germany

> (Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

> > Is it possible to capture the drag & drop event into an hta
> > window and provide an event handler other than the default??
> > Similarly, does IE5+ support intercepting this drag & drop
> > event handling?
> > I want to capture drag & drop of a folder and provide alternate
> > dehaviour to the default "display contents using Explorer".

> > Thanks,
> >  - Mitch

Sun, 09 May 2004 05:08:26 GMT
 Drag & drop into hta window
On Win2000, the external drag-drop does not work (although
the File menu selection does) .. problem with file-path resolution.
Thanks for the pointer though.
- Mitch
Quote:

> I've done a similar thing to handle drag and drop within an hta application
> from external dropped file.
> http://www.serialscripter.com/scripts/htanotepad.html

> I've inserted an IFrame in the main page, and when you drop something on it
> it will replace it. Just handle the onload event to do the job.

> Hope this helps.

> Jean-Luc Antoine.

> > Hi,

> >  I took one of the samples, which work in IE, but was not able to let a
> HTA
> > fetch a file (dragged over from the Windows Explorer)!
> > Any informations and/or notes and hintes I am interested too!

> > BTW. it would be the absolute greatest, that you can create a dotnet
> class,
> > like one can do with a java-class, like

> > Set oClass = CreateObject("dotnet:MyClass")

> > ;-)

> > BTW, thanks for your good java helpers for scripters!!!!!

> > Best regards,
> > Manfred Braun

> > (Private)
> > Lange Roetterstrasse 7
> > D68167 Mannheim
> > Germany

> > (Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

> > > Is it possible to capture the drag & drop event into an hta
> > > window and provide an event handler other than the default??
> > > Similarly, does IE5+ support intercepting this drag & drop
> > > event handling?
> > > I want to capture drag & drop of a folder and provide alternate
> > > dehaviour to the default "display contents using Explorer".

> > > Thanks,
> > >  - Mitch

Sun, 09 May 2004 06:38:40 GMT
 Drag & drop into hta window
This takes effect immediately after writing to the registry
on Win2000 Pro SP2 (no reboot needed).

Is there any reason not to include this setting as a global setting
for ShellEx via:
   HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\DropHandler|
or are there file extensions where that would cause a problem?
Thanks,
 - Mitch

Quote:

> An open HTA window can't handle the drag/drop of folder/files (WM_DROPFILES) in the way you describe.  It would be up to mshta.exe to pass that info into the HTAs script code in some manner.

> But you *can* make any .hta file a drag/drop target that works exactly like the WSH hosted script files.

> Run this script to add a DropHandler for HTA files (it's the same one as used for WSH hosted files - look it up under HKCR\VBSFile\... ).

> set shell = createobject("wscript.shell")
> sKey = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTAFile\ShellEx\DropHandler\"
> sValue = "{60254CA5-953B-11CF-8C96-00AA00B8708C}"
> shell.regwrite sKey, sValue, "REG_SZ"

> As I recall, you'll need to restart Windows for this to take effect...

> Here's a simple test HTA.  Drag/drop files/folders onto the HTA file (or a shortcut to it).  You can also put a shortcut to it in your SendTo folder and send files/folders to it via the Send To context menu...  You just have to work out the commandLine parsing yourself.

> <head>
> <hta:application id=myHTA />
> <script language="VBScript">
> sub window_onload()
>   document.body.insertAdjacentHTML "beforeEnd", _
>     "myHTA.commandLine = " & myHTA.commandLine & "<br>"
>   args = split(myHTA.commandLine,""" ",2)
>   args(0) = args(0) & chr(34)
>   if ubound(args) > 0 then
>     document.body.insertAdjacentHTML "beforeEnd", _
>       "args(0) = " & args(0) & "<br>" _
>     & "args(1) = " & args(1) & "<br>"
>   end if
> end sub
> </script>
> </head>

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> > What I am actually looking for is the ability to drag and drop
> > an external folder into an open hta window and have the .hta
> > enumerate the files in the dropped folder.
> > With a .vbs or .js this is simple with the collection
> >    Set fileargs = WScript.Arguments
> > which can determine if a folder has been dropped, and then enumerate
> > through the contents with FileObject.

> > How would you do something like this for open .hta window? (I know
> > you could just use a .vbs to start the .hta, but I wish to start with the .hta).

> > Thanks,
> >  - Mitch

> > Also,

> > > I've done a similar thing to handle drag and drop within an hta application
> > > from external dropped file.
> > > http://www.serialscripter.com/scripts/htanotepad.html

> > > I've inserted an IFrame in the main page, and when you drop something on it
> > > it will replace it. Just handle the onload event to do the job.

> > > Hope this helps.

> > > Jean-Luc Antoine.

> > > HTA

> > > class,

Mon, 10 May 2004 23:32:58 GMT
 Drag & drop into hta window
It doesn't make sense to have it on all files.  For example, what purpose would it server on a txt file?

It's already on vbs/vbe/js/jse/wsf/wsh file (WSH hosted script extensions) and (AFAIK) is already the default behavior for standard executable files (bat/cmd/exe/com).  hta is the only other extension that I know of that is "executable" and takes commandline arguments.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Quote:

> This takes effect immediately after writing to the registry
> on Win2000 Pro SP2 (no reboot needed).

> Is there any reason not to include this setting as a global setting
> for ShellEx via:
>    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\DropHandler|
> or are there file extensions where that would cause a problem?
> Thanks,
>  - Mitch

> > An open HTA window can't handle the drag/drop of folder/files (WM_DROPFILES) in the way you describe.  It would be up to mshta.exe to pass that info into the HTAs script code in some manner.

> > But you *can* make any .hta file a drag/drop target that works exactly like the WSH hosted script files.

> > Run this script to add a DropHandler for HTA files (it's the same one as used for WSH hosted files - look it up under HKCR\VBSFile\... ).

> > set shell = createobject("wscript.shell")
> > sKey = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTAFile\ShellEx\DropHandler\"
> > sValue = "{60254CA5-953B-11CF-8C96-00AA00B8708C}"
> > shell.regwrite sKey, sValue, "REG_SZ"

> > As I recall, you'll need to restart Windows for this to take effect...

> > Here's a simple test HTA.  Drag/drop files/folders onto the HTA file (or a shortcut to it).  You can also put a shortcut to it in your SendTo folder and send files/folders to it via the Send To context menu...  You just have to work out the commandLine parsing yourself.

> > <head>
> > <hta:application id=myHTA />
> > <script language="VBScript">
> > sub window_onload()
> >   document.body.insertAdjacentHTML "beforeEnd", _
> >     "myHTA.commandLine = " & myHTA.commandLine & "<br>"
> >   args = split(myHTA.commandLine,""" ",2)
> >   args(0) = args(0) & chr(34)
> >   if ubound(args) > 0 then
> >     document.body.insertAdjacentHTML "beforeEnd", _
> >       "args(0) = " & args(0) & "<br>" _
> >     & "args(1) = " & args(1) & "<br>"
> >   end if
> > end sub
> > </script>
> > </head>

> > --
> > Michael Harris
> > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> > > What I am actually looking for is the ability to drag and drop
> > > an external folder into an open hta window and have the .hta
> > > enumerate the files in the dropped folder.
> > > With a .vbs or .js this is simple with the collection
> > >    Set fileargs = WScript.Arguments
> > > which can determine if a folder has been dropped, and then enumerate
> > > through the contents with FileObject.

> > > How would you do something like this for open .hta window? (I know
> > > you could just use a .vbs to start the .hta, but I wish to start with the .hta).

> > > Thanks,
> > >  - Mitch

> > > Also,

Tue, 11 May 2004 04:04:40 GMT
 Drag & drop into hta window
Almost stumped me for a few microseconds, but to make it more like
WScript.Arguments array, it is probably better to parse out the quote characters
from the array (otherwise,
      fso.FileExists(args(1))
fails, since the quotes are part of the filename as originally parsed below.
Here is a modified version that removes the first quote (instead of adding a trailing quote :-)
Also, need the -1 argument to get all arguments passed, of course.

Another question ... why does SINGLEINSTANCE not work as expected here? I can
launch more than one instance of this hta for some reason??

 - Mitch

------------   Modified hta below .... requires registry DropHandler patch specified below -------
<head>
<hta:application id=myHTA
   SINGLEINSTANCE="yes"

<script language="VBScript">
sub window_onload()
   'alert myHTA.commandLine
  args = split(myHTA.commandLine,""" ",-1)

  if ubound(args) > 1 then
  arin = 0
  While arin < ubound(args)
    args(arin) = Mid(Trim(args(arin)), 2)  ' remove leading quote
   dragtype = ""
    If  fso.FileExists(args(arin)) Then
        dragtype = " (file)"
     ElseIf  fso.FolderExists(args(arin)) Then
        dragtype = " (folder)"
     Else
        dragtype = " (neither file nor folder) "
     End If
   document.body.insertAdjacentHTML "beforeEnd", _
      "args(" & arin & ") = " & args(arin) & dragtype & "<br>"
   arin = arin+1
  Wend
  end if
end sub
</script>
</head>

Quote:

> An open HTA window can't handle the drag/drop of folder/files (WM_DROPFILES) in the way you describe.  It would be up to mshta.exe to pass that info into the HTAs script code in some manner.

> But you *can* make any .hta file a drag/drop target that works exactly like the WSH hosted script files.

> Run this script to add a DropHandler for HTA files (it's the same one as used for WSH hosted files - look it up under HKCR\VBSFile\... ).

> set shell = createobject("wscript.shell")
> sKey = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTAFile\ShellEx\DropHandler\"
> sValue = "{60254CA5-953B-11CF-8C96-00AA00B8708C}"
> shell.regwrite sKey, sValue, "REG_SZ"

> As I recall, you'll need to restart Windows for this to take effect...

> Here's a simple test HTA.  Drag/drop files/folders onto the HTA file (or a shortcut to it).  You can also put a shortcut to it in your SendTo folder and send files/folders to it via the Send To context menu...  You just have to work out the commandLine parsing yourself.

> <head>
> <hta:application id=myHTA />
> <script language="VBScript">
> sub window_onload()
>   document.body.insertAdjacentHTML "beforeEnd", _
>     "myHTA.commandLine = " & myHTA.commandLine & "<br>"
>   args = split(myHTA.commandLine,""" ",2)
>   args(0) = args(0) & chr(34)
>   if ubound(args) > 0 then
>     document.body.insertAdjacentHTML "beforeEnd", _
>       "args(0) = " & args(0) & "<br>" _
>     & "args(1) = " & args(1) & "<br>"
>   end if
> end sub
> </script>
> </head>

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> > What I am actually looking for is the ability to drag and drop
> > an external folder into an open hta window and have the .hta
> > enumerate the files in the dropped folder.
> > With a .vbs or .js this is simple with the collection
> >    Set fileargs = WScript.Arguments
> > which can determine if a folder has been dropped, and then enumerate
> > through the contents with FileObject.

> > How would you do something like this for open .hta window? (I know
> > you could just use a .vbs to start the .hta, but I wish to start with the .hta).

> > Thanks,
> >  - Mitch

> > Also,

> > > I've done a similar thing to handle drag and drop within an hta application
> > > from external dropped file.
> > > http://www.serialscripter.com/scripts/htanotepad.html

> > > I've inserted an IFrame in the main page, and when you drop something on it
> > > it will replace it. Just handle the onload event to do the job.

> > > Hope this helps.

> > > Jean-Luc Antoine.

> > > HTA

> > > class,

Tue, 11 May 2004 07:10:57 GMT
 Drag & drop into hta window
Hello Michael,

 thanks very much!! This was a good tip. In the ongoing dotnet world, I ask
me, if I should continue to use HTAs. Currently, I think, I'll better write
dotnet windows programs.....

BTW, HTAs are not registered as PATHEXT's. Do you know, WHO is registering
PATHEXT(ensions) and if and when what, an application has to provide?? I
think, if I register even .HTA, I execute them without specifying the
extension. They are normally only in the Environment part of the Session
Manager. But I don't know, if this is all, what is neccesary.

Thanks so far and
> [...]

> >     document.body.insertAdjacentHTML "beforeEnd", _
> >       "args(0) = " & args(0) & "<br>" _
> >     & "args(1) = " & args(1) & "<br>"
> >   end if
> > end sub
> > </script>
> > </head>

> > --
> > Michael Harris
> > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> > > What I am actually looking for is the ability to drag and drop
> > > an external folder into an open hta window and have the .hta
> > > enumerate the files in the dropped folder.
> > > With a .vbs or .js this is simple with the collection
> > >    Set fileargs = WScript.Arguments
> > > which can determine if a folder has been dropped, and then enumerate
> > > through the contents with FileObject.

> > > How would you do something like this for open .hta window? (I know
> > > you could just use a .vbs to start the .hta, but I wish to start with

message

Tue, 11 May 2004 07:27:54 GMT
 Drag & drop into hta window

Quote:
> Another question ... why does SINGLEINSTANCE not work as expected here? I can
> launch more than one instance of this hta for some reason??

a unique applicationName is required for singleInstance to work (as documented ;-)...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Tue, 11 May 2004 07:24:44 GMT
 Drag & drop into hta window
Right .. believe it or not, my original script DID have the applicationName
there, but then I started using your script snipped and didn't notice that .....
 - Mitch
Quote:

> > Another question ... why does SINGLEINSTANCE not work as expected here? I can
> > launch more than one instance of this hta for some reason??

> a unique applicationName is required for singleInstance to work (as documented ;-)...

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Tue, 11 May 2004 07:39:23 GMT

1. Drag&drop receiver procedure for hta

2. Drag and drop, imager.hta revisited

3. Drag & Drop in VB/A

4. Drag & drop file from desktop to textbox

5. TreeViewControl in VBScript Drag&Drop?

6. spread 6... drag&drop

7. DataTransfer - Drag&Drop

8. Drag&Drop prob.

9. No Drag & Drop after updating WSHto ste51de

10. WSH Drag & Drop Handler

11. Drag & drop ordering of arguments

12. Drag & Drop