BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH
Author Message
 BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH

This is a WinNT and Win2000 issue. Computers running W9x and Me is not affected.

If a pre-5.6 version of Wscript.exe is running while the WSH 5.6 install is
running (Scr56en.exe and scripten.exe), a *error* message will be presented to
the user. This will also happen even if /Q or /Q:A (for silent install) is added
to the command line.

The error dialogue box is the one with a red circle with a white cross in it
(and a OK button) and this message is presented:

<dialogue box>

Title:
Windows Script Host

Text:
Unknown option "-" specified.

</dialogue box>

Two consequences as far as I see:

1) A lot of "noise" in a automated roll-out to many users.

2) WSH Remote will not work.

My recommendation for a "automated" install: Do not use a wscript based script
or log-on script to install WSH 5.6. Cscript.exe should be OK to use I think.
You could also consider to detect if some wscript.exe processes is running and
if so, terminate them (e.g. with WMI).

Anyway, adding "wscript.exe -regserver" to RunOnce in registry will not hurt (if
the users are local admins) to be sure that the "damage" is mended!

After some snooping I think I have found the cause to this:

Scr56en.inf and scripten.inf have an extra line in the section [DefaultInstall]
that wasn't there in the previous versions of WSH.

[DefaultInstall]
RunPostSetupCommands = RegisterWScript.NT
[RegisterWScript.NT]
%11%\wscript -regserver

If wscript.exe is loaded while the install is running, the new wscript.exe can't
overwrite the old wscript.exe and the install prepares a substitute at next
reboot. What happens next is that the "wscript -regserver" command is run using
the *old* version of wscript. This old version does not know what -regserver is
(introduced in v5.6!) and the error message is presented. (Try to manually run
the -regserver parameter on an pre-5.6 version of wscript.exe, and you will see
the error message for your self).

More on the consequence part:

The WSHRemote registration registry branch will not be created. I guess that WSH
Remote will *not* work on the computer without this.

Here is the *top* level key\value that is missing (with a lot of subkeys!):

Also, in the future, when running this to upgrade an older version of 5.6 to
newer, the error message will "disappear" of course (because it understands
-regserver, but it will be the *old* version of wscript.exe that does the job,
so if the new one have updated register data, it will *not* be imported into the
registry!

I will think that an Internet Explorer upgrade to 6.0 will be affected also,
because it also installs WSH 5.6 if necessary

Regards,
Torgeir

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:44:21 GMT
 BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH
Known issue. This will be fixed in the setup packages that should be up on
the web around 10/23 or so, and in the next SP for IE 6. In the meantime,
don't use script to install script and you'll be okay.

Mike Whalen
Windows Script Dev

Quote:

> [...]

that WSH
> Remote will *not* work on the computer without this.

> Here is the *top* level key\value that is missing (with a lot of
subkeys!):

> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6F201542-B482-11D2-A250-00104BD35090}]

> Also, in the future, when running this to upgrade an older version of 5.6
> newer, the error message will "disappear" of course (because it
understands
> -regserver, but it will be the *old* version of wscript.exe that does the
job,
> so if the new one have updated register data, it will *not* be imported
into the
> registry!

> I will think that an Internet Explorer upgrade to 6.0 will be affected
also,
> because it also installs WSH 5.6 if necessary

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 05:57:15 GMT
 BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH
Great :-)

What about creating a "Known Issues List" on the MS Scripting home pages (in
addition to a version/revision list :-) ?

Regards,
Torgeir

Quote:

> [...]

> that WSH
> > Remote will *not* work on the computer without this.

> > Here is the *top* level key\value that is missing (with a lot of
> subkeys!):

> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6F201542-B482-11D2-A250-00104BD35090}]

> > Also, in the future, when running this to upgrade an older version of 5.6
> > newer, the error message will "disappear" of course (because it
> understands
> > -regserver, but it will be the *old* version of wscript.exe that does the
> job,
> > so if the new one have updated register data, it will *not* be imported
> into the
> > registry!

> > I will think that an Internet Explorer upgrade to 6.0 will be affected
> also,
> > because it also installs WSH 5.6 if necessary

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:44:38 GMT
 BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH
We have enough trouble getting MSDN to update our setup packages as it is.
It's a nice idea and we've considered it, but it isn't really workable right
now. It's difficult to explain this without saying things I shouldn't in a
public forum.

Mike Whalen
Windows Script Dev

Quote:
> [...]

> > > Here is the *top* level key\value that is missing (with a lot of
> > subkeys!):

> > > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6F201542-B482-11D2-A250-00104BD35090}]

> > > Also, in the future, when running this to upgrade an older version of
5.6
> > > newer, the error message will "disappear" of course (because it
> > understands
> > > -regserver, but it will be the *old* version of wscript.exe that does
the
> > job,
> > > so if the new one have updated register data, it will *not* be
imported
> > into the
> > > registry!

> > > I will think that an Internet Explorer upgrade to 6.0 will be affected
> > also,
> > > because it also installs WSH 5.6 if necessary

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:28:27 GMT
 BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH
Thanks for the answer, I understand your frustration :-)

My conclusion (I am more at the liberty to speak out load I think ;-), MSDN
looks more and more like a *big* pile of useless {*filter*}:-( Oh, joy!

Regards,
Torgeir

Quote:

> We have enough trouble getting MSDN to update our setup packages as it is.
> It's a nice idea and we've considered it, but it isn't really workable right
> now. It's difficult to explain this without saying things I shouldn't in a
> public forum.

> Mike Whalen
> Windows Script Dev

> > Great :-)

> > What about creating a "Known Issues List" on the MS Scripting home pages
> (in
> > addition to a version/revision list :-) ?

> > Regards,
> > Torgeir

> > > Known issue. This will be fixed in the setup packages that should be up
> on
> > > the web around 10/23 or so, and in the next SP for IE 6. In the
> meantime,
> > > don't use script to install script and you'll be okay.

> > > Mike Whalen
> > > Windows Script Dev

> > > affected.

> install
> > > is
> > > presented to
> install) is
> > > added

> in
> > > it

> based
> > > script
> > > think.
> running
> > > and

> not
> > > hurt (if

> > > [DefaultInstall]

> wscript.exe
> > >  can't
> > > next
> run
> > > using
> > > what -regserver is
> manually
> > > run
> > > will see

> guess
> > > that WSH

> > > subkeys!):

> 5.6
> > > understands
> the
> > > job,
> imported
> > > into the

> > > also,

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:23:32 GMT
 BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH
Well, if you are granted autonomy to your section on MSDN, I'm sure things
will move around faster, without all the redtape and all.

Isn't that what FrontPage preaches??  :)

Quote:
> We have enough trouble getting MSDN to update our setup packages as it is.
> It's a nice idea and we've considered it, but it isn't really workable
right
> now. It's difficult to explain this without saying things I shouldn't in a
> public forum.

> Mike Whalen
> Windows Script Dev

Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:05:56 GMT
 BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH
That is when it is working.

--
George Hester

Quote:
> Thanks for the answer, I understand your frustration :-)

> My conclusion (I am more at the liberty to speak out load I think ;-),
MSDN
> looks more and more like a *big* pile of useless {*filter*}:-( Oh, joy!

> Regards,
> Torgeir

> > We have enough trouble getting MSDN to update our setup packages as it
is.
> > It's a nice idea and we've considered it, but it isn't really workable
right
> > now. It's difficult to explain this without saying things I shouldn't in
> > public forum.

> > Mike Whalen
> > Windows Script Dev

> > > Great :-)

> > > What about creating a "Known Issues List" on the MS Scripting home
pages
> > (in
> > > addition to a version/revision list :-) ?

> > > Regards,
> > > Torgeir

> > on
> > meantime,

> > install
> > install) is

> > in

> > based
> > running

> > not
mended!

> > wscript.exe
> > run
> > manually

> > guess

> > 5.6
> > the
> > imported

Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:57:48 GMT

1. BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH

2. BUG in WSH 5.6 install if Wscript.exe is running while updating WSH

3. WSH bug status (pre-WSH 5.6 beta)

4. WSH 5.6 argument definitions - am I missing something?

5. Possible WSH 5.6 beta update...

6. Reinstall Updated WSH 5.6 in WINXP

7. WSH 5.6 Beta 1, new method, WScript.Exec

8. Updated help file for Wsh 5.6 Beta 1

9. Incompatible version of the RPC stub error after installing wsh 5.6

10. bug in wsh 5.6 doesn't respect interfaces like 5.5

11. WSH 5.6 release bug (stdin/stdout)

12. WSH 5.6 bug report - StdIn.AtEndOfLine doesn't work