NoDriveTypeAutoRun and registry "rebroadcast"
Author Message
 NoDriveTypeAutoRun and registry "rebroadcast"

Would anyone happen to know why Windows 9x will recognize changes to the
NoDriveTypeAutoRun value without having to reboot and NT will not?   We
were "toggling" between autorun on  CDRom only to turning all bits on
without rebooting the system.  However, when we started testing on NT (sp5)
NT needed to be rebooted for changes to take effect.  Basically, my
questions are:

1)  Why does NT need reboot while 98 does not in order for this value to be
recognized?
2)  Where can I obtain information on "rebroadcasting" the registry without
reboot when this occurs or where to look for information about
rebroadcasting the registry in general?

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 NoDriveTypeAutoRun and registry "rebroadcast"
Hi

In our company we make a living of making scripts for software distribution,
so I know your problem.
The same problem is commiting environment variables, path updates ect.
I solved it by writing a activex dll in VB with the code to commit registry
changes.
You need to use the API SendMessage to commit these changes.

Regards
Flemming Christiansen
http://www.capainstaller.com/eng/

Quote:
> Would anyone happen to know why Windows 9x will recognize changes to the
> NoDriveTypeAutoRun value without having to reboot and NT will not?   We
> were "toggling" between autorun on  CDRom only to turning all bits on
> without rebooting the system.  However, when we started testing on NT
(sp5)
> NT needed to be rebooted for changes to take effect.  Basically, my
> questions are:

> 1)  Why does NT need reboot while 98 does not in order for this value to
be
> recognized?
> 2)  Where can I obtain information on "rebroadcasting" the registry
without
> reboot when this occurs or where to look for information about
> rebroadcasting the registry in general?

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting registry keys with "\" in name

2. Disabling "BACK"/"FORWARD" buttons

4. Problem With "window.showmodaldialog("")"

5. Disabling "BACK"/"FORWARD" buttons

6. How to Replace("String Irregular # of space", "?", "")

7. JavaScript "\"" and WShell Run

8. CreateObject("excel.application", "myremotecomp") dosent work

9. How to count "Premium" and "Free" Pages Viewed using HTML Forms Authentication

10. "Unable to open the initial device,quitting" when use "pdfwrite" device

11. For text, "show" and "false charpath fill"

12. ghostview/script: -I and "can't find "gs_init.ps""