Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 locking win 98 machine
Author Message
 Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 locking win 98 machine

Quote:
> I loaded Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 from msdn on my w98
> machine.  It locked up my machine with a grey screen after
> reboot.  Unable to access anything; had to do a cold
> boot.  Then it would lock up the same way accessing
> practically any program right after boot up.  I had to re-
> image my machine to get rid of it since MS doesn't seem to
> provide an uninstall feature for this download.  I have
> attached the download scr56en.exe, which is allegedly
> compatible with w98 per this MS web page:

http://www.*-*-*.com/
l=/msdn-files/027/001/733/msdncompositedoc.xml.

Quote:

> Anybody seen/heard of this type of response?

PLEASE don't attach large binaries.  There are those of us that are on
dialup, and not very speedy dialup at that.

Which one did you download?  There's the version for Win2K, and the version
for "everything else except XP".  I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 2K
version will install on non-2K platforms, and mess them up big time.  MAybe
try a re-download and reinstall.  I personally have never had the install
routine cause problems on win95/98/NT/2K.

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 02:43:57 GMT
 Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 locking win 98 machine
Sorry about the attachment!  Won't do that again.

Thanks for your reply.  I loaded the correct one for W98,
the one that says, "English Download for Win98, ME, NT
4.0".  I will not load it again until I know more, because
I don't have time to re-image my machine again.

The reason I want to load WSH 1.0 is that most of our 1800
machines have w98 with the default WSH 1.0.  I am creating
automation scripts in our network and I need to write to a
a standard platform.  I don't want some users on WSH 5.6,
and othes on WSH 1.0.  Even though I'm sure MS will say
that 5.6 is backwards-compatible... I don't trust that
without getting like 10 of you real experts to tell me
it's OK.

Thanks
Jeremy

Quote:

url=/downloads/sample.asp?ur
Quote:
>l=/msdn-files/027/001/733/msdncompositedoc.xml.

>> Anybody seen/heard of this type of response?

>PLEASE don't attach large binaries.  There are those of
us that are on
>dialup, and not very speedy dialup at that.

>Which one did you download?  There's the version for

Win2K, and the version

>for "everything else except XP".  I'm not 100% sure, but
I think the 2K
>version will install on non-2K platforms, and mess them
up big time.  MAybe
>try a re-download and reinstall.  I personally have never
had the install
>routine cause problems on win95/98/NT/2K.

>.

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:18:11 GMT
 Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 locking win 98 machine

Quote:

> I loaded Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 from msdn on my w98
> machine.  It locked up my machine with a grey screen after
> reboot.  Unable to access anything; had to do a cold
> boot.  Then it would lock up the same way accessing
> practically any program right after boot up.  I had to re-
> image my machine to get rid of it since MS doesn't seem to
> provide an uninstall feature for this download.  I have
> attached the download scr56en.exe, which is allegedly
> compatible with w98 per this MS web page:
> http://www.*-*-*.com/
> url=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-
> files/027/001/733/msdncompositedoc.xml.

> Anybody seen/heard of this type of response?

Hi, Jeremy
It was kind of {*filter*} of you to attach this huge file.
I compared its CRC to the CRC of the same file I had used to install WSH 5.6 on my W98SE machine.  It is identical.  WSH 5.6 has
been working just fine for me.  Perhaps something else already on your machine doesn't like this new version.

-Paul Randall

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:45:00 GMT
 Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 locking win 98 machine

Quote:

> Thanks for your reply.  I loaded the correct one for W98,
> the one that says, "English Download for Win98, ME, NT
> 4.0".  I will not load it again until I know more, because
> I don't have time to re-image my machine again.

> The reason I want to load WSH 1.0 is that most of our 1800
> machines have w98 with the default WSH 1.0.  I am creating
> automation scripts in our network and I need to write to a
> a standard platform.  I don't want some users on WSH 5.6,
> and othes on WSH 1.0.  Even though I'm sure MS will say
> that 5.6 is backwards-compatible... I don't trust that
> without getting like 10 of you real experts to tell me
> it's OK.

Hi

We have installed WSH 5.6 on a lot of Win98 (and Win95) computers without any
problems...

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and a ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:45:49 GMT
 Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 locking win 98 machine
Hi,

I think your Win98 machines actually have WSH 5.0. It used
to be called version 1.0. I believe you are trying to
downgrade your WSH so you can code scripts that will work
with WSH 5.0. If you must develop on WSH 5.6, here are a
few functions/methods not available on WSH 5.0:

Wscript.Sleep
WshShell.Exec
WshShell.AppActivate
WshShell.SendKeys
InStrRev
StrReverse
Wscript.StdIn
Wscript.StdOut
Wscript.StdErr

Also, class definitions are flaky.

Richard

Quote:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

>.

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 02:41:18 GMT
 Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 locking win 98 machine
Hi,

You can add to that list:

Eval
Execute (in all its flavors)
and even WScript.Quit exit codes

Joe Earnest

Quote:
> Hi,

> I think your Win98 machines actually have WSH 5.0. It used
> to be called version 1.0. I believe you are trying to
> downgrade your WSH so you can code scripts that will work
> with WSH 5.0. If you must develop on WSH 5.6, here are a
> few functions/methods not available on WSH 5.0:

> Wscript.Sleep
> WshShell.Exec
> WshShell.AppActivate
> WshShell.SendKeys
> InStrRev
> StrReverse
> Wscript.StdIn
> Wscript.StdOut
> Wscript.StdErr

> Also, class definitions are flaky.

> Richard

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 05:12:52 GMT

1. Microsoft Windows Script 5.6

2. Logon Script won't run in Windows 98

3. Windows Script 5.6 (8515) for Windows 98, ME, NT4 fixed ?

4. Windows Scripting Host for Windows 98 Book

5. script control ...poor performance on 98-based machines

6. Can't Create Object WScript.Shell in Win 98 (1st Ed) and Win 95

7. Win 98 Login Script

8. Win 98 scripting

9. Win 98 login script

10. Script to change WINS on 95/98/nt/2000

11. Windows Script 5.6

12. Login Script Windows 98