Password Reset Issue
Author Message
 Password Reset Issue

Because of a co-existance issue, I would like to prompt the user through the
logon script to reset his Windows2000 password.  I have the script up and
working, except for permissions.   The user gets "Access denied" with the
SetPassword function.
Is there a way to run part of the script in an "administrative" permission,
or what security writes are needed for the user to reset password through
the logon script.
TIA
TC

Sat, 01 May 2004 00:30:58 GMT
 Password Reset Issue

There is a COM object on my site, sfimpersonator.dll, that will do this for you. Additionally, there is a WSC that uses the runas command if your clients are Win2k and you don't want to install a third party COM object. You can find sfimpersonator.dll in the tools section and the WSC in the scriptDEPO.

Clarence

--
Win32Scripting...
Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!

http://cwashington.netreach.net

Quote:

> Because of a co-existance issue, I would like to prompt the user through the
> logon script to reset his Windows2000 password.  I have the script up and
> working, except for permissions.   The user gets "Access denied" with the
> SetPassword function.
> Is there a way to run part of the script in an "administrative" permission,
> or what security writes are needed for the user to reset password through
> the logon script.
> TIA
> TC

Sat, 01 May 2004 01:14:21 GMT
 Password Reset Issue
Could you be more specific about the WSC, I couldn't find it?
Joe

There is a COM object on my site, sfimpersonator.dll, that will do this for
you. Additionally, there is a WSC that uses the runas command if your
clients are Win2k and you don't want to install a third party COM object.
You can find sfimpersonator.dll in the tools section and the WSC in the
scriptDEPO.

Clarence

--
Win32Scripting...
Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of charge.
Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based
technical support.

http://cwashington.netreach.net

Quote:
> Because of a co-existance issue, I would like to prompt the user through
the
> logon script to reset his Windows2000 password.  I have the script up and
> working, except for permissions.   The user gets "Access denied" with the
> SetPassword function.
> Is there a way to run part of the script in an "administrative"
permission,
> or what security writes are needed for the user to reset password through
> the logon script.
> TIA
> TC

Sat, 01 May 2004 01:43:16 GMT
 Password Reset Issue

Another option would be to use the change password WEB page supplied with W2K IIS (same as used by OWA).
Regards,
Ian
http://communities.msn.com/windowsscript

  There is a COM object on my site, sfimpersonator.dll, that will do this for you. Additionally, there is a WSC that uses the runas command if your clients are Win2k and you don't want to install a third party COM object. You can find sfimpersonator.dll in the tools section and the WSC in the scriptDEPO.

  Clarence

  --
  Win32Scripting...
  Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
  Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of charge. Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based technical support.

  http://cwashington.netreach.net

  > Because of a co-existance issue, I would like to prompt the user through the
  > logon script to reset his Windows2000 password.  I have the script up and
  > working, except for permissions.   The user gets "Access denied" with the
  > SetPassword function.
  > Is there a way to run part of the script in an "administrative" permission,
  > or what security writes are needed for the user to reset password through
  > the logon script.
  > TIA
  > TC

Sat, 01 May 2004 02:03:00 GMT
 Password Reset Issue

I misspoke when I said it was a wsc, a quick search on the word runas yields the following link...

http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=535&ScriptType=vb...

Hope this helps

Clarence

--
.

http://cwashington.netreach.net

Quote:

> Could you be more specific about the WSC, I couldn't find it?
> Joe

> There is a COM object on my site, sfimpersonator.dll, that will do this for
> you. Additionally, there is a WSC that uses the runas command if your
> clients are Win2k and you don't want to install a third party COM object.
> You can find sfimpersonator.dll in the tools section and the WSC in the
> scriptDEPO.

> Clarence

> --
> Win32Scripting...
> Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
> Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of charge.
> Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based
> technical support.

> http://cwashington.netreach.net

> > Because of a co-existance issue, I would like to prompt the user through
> the
> > logon script to reset his Windows2000 password.  I have the script up and
> > working, except for permissions.   The user gets "Access denied" with the
> > SetPassword function.
> > Is there a way to run part of the script in an "administrative"
> permission,
> > or what security writes are needed for the user to reset password through
> > the logon script.
> > TIA
> > TC

Sat, 01 May 2004 02:06:13 GMT
 Password Reset Issue

Most PC are still running Win95, only about 5% are on Win2K so far.  (It's 2002's goal to get the others on 2K).
Will the .dll work with 95?
TIA

  I misspoke when I said it was a wsc, a quick search on the word runas yields the following link...

  http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=535&ScriptType=vb...

  Hope this helps

  Clarence

  --
  Win32Scripting...
  Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
  Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of charge.
  Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based
  technical support.
  .

  http://cwashington.netreach.net

  > Could you be more specific about the WSC, I couldn't find it?
  > Joe

  > There is a COM object on my site, sfimpersonator.dll, that will do this for
  > you. Additionally, there is a WSC that uses the runas command if your
  > clients are Win2k and you don't want to install a third party COM object.
  > You can find sfimpersonator.dll in the tools section and the WSC in the
  > scriptDEPO.
  >
  > Clarence
  >
  > --
  > Win32Scripting...
  > Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
  > Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of charge.
  > Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based
  > technical support.
  >
  > http://cwashington.netreach.net
  >
  >

  > > Because of a co-existance issue, I would like to prompt the user through
  > the
  > > logon script to reset his Windows2000 password.  I have the script up and
  > > working, except for permissions.   The user gets "Access denied" with the
  > > SetPassword function.
  > > Is there a way to run part of the script in an "administrative"
  > permission,
  > > or what security writes are needed for the user to reset password through
  > > the logon script.
  > > TIA
  > > TC

Sat, 01 May 2004 03:51:02 GMT
 Password Reset Issue

No... It only works with NT 4.0 and above... :-(

Clarence

--
Win32Scripting...
Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
Over 500 scripts and lots of COM objects to download and use FREE of charge.
Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based
technical support.
.

http://cwashington.netreach.net

  Most PC are still running Win95, only about 5% are on Win2K so far.  (It's 2002's goal to get the others on 2K).
  Will the .dll work with 95?
  TIA

    I misspoke when I said it was a wsc, a quick search on the word runas yields the following link...

    http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=535&ScriptType=vb...

    Hope this helps

    Clarence

    --
    Win32Scripting...
    Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
    Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of charge.
    Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based
    technical support.
    .

    http://cwashington.netreach.net

    > Could you be more specific about the WSC, I couldn't find it?
    > Joe

    > There is a COM object on my site, sfimpersonator.dll, that will do this for
    > you. Additionally, there is a WSC that uses the runas command if your
    > clients are Win2k and you don't want to install a third party COM object.
    > You can find sfimpersonator.dll in the tools section and the WSC in the
    > scriptDEPO.
    >
    > Clarence
    >
    > --
    > Win32Scripting...
    > Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
    > Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of charge.
    > Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based
    > technical support.
    >
    > http://cwashington.netreach.net
    >
    >

    > > Because of a co-existance issue, I would like to prompt the user through
    > the
    > > logon script to reset his Windows2000 password.  I have the script up and
    > > working, except for permissions.   The user gets "Access denied" with the
    > > SetPassword function.
    > > Is there a way to run part of the script in an "administrative"
    > permission,
    > > or what security writes are needed for the user to reset password through
    > > the logon script.
    > > TIA
    > > TC

Sat, 01 May 2004 04:51:56 GMT
 Password Reset Issue
Hi

Why do you want it for W9x, the users are "administrators" anyway?

--
torgeir

Quote:

> Most PC are still running Win95, only about 5% are on Win2K so far.  (It's
> 2002's goal to get the others on 2K).Will the .dll work with 95?TIA

>      wsc, a quick search on the word runas yields the following
>      link... http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=535&ScriptType=vb... Hope
>      this helps Clarence --
>      Win32Scripting...
>      Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
>      Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of
>      charge.
>      Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community
>      based
>      technical support.
>      . http://cwashington.netreach.net  "Joe Fawcett"

>      about the WSC, I couldn't find it?
>      > Joe

>      > There is a COM object on my site, sfimpersonator.dll, that will do
>      this for
>      > you. Additionally, there is a WSC that uses the runas command if
>      your
>      > clients are Win2k and you don't want to install a third party COM
>      object.
>      > You can find sfimpersonator.dll in the tools section and the WSC
>      in the
>      > scriptDEPO.

>      > Clarence

>      > --
>      > Win32Scripting...
>      > Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
>      > Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE
>      of charge.
>      > Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for
>      community based
>      > technical support.

>      > http://cwashington.netreach.net

>      > > Because of a co-existance issue, I would like to prompt the user
>      through
>      > the
>      > > logon script to reset his Windows2000 password.  I have the
>      script up and
>      > > working, except for permissions.   The user gets "Access denied"
>      with the
>      > > SetPassword function.
>      > > Is there a way to run part of the script in an "administrative"
>      > permission,
>      > > or what security writes are needed for the user to reset
>      password through
>      > > the logon script.
>      > > TIA
>      > > TC

Sat, 01 May 2004 05:19:15 GMT
 Password Reset Issue
Users are not admins in the domain, and that is the password we are trying
to change.

Quote:
> Hi

> Why do you want it for W9x, the users are "administrators" anyway?

> --
> torgeir

> > Most PC are still running Win95, only about 5% are on Win2K so far.
(It's
> > 2002's goal to get the others on 2K).Will the .dll work with 95?TIA

> >      wsc, a quick search on the word runas yields the following
> >      link...

http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=535&ScriptType=vb...
Hope

> >      this helps Clarence --
> >      Win32Scripting...
> >      Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
> >      Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE
of
> >      charge.
> >      Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community
> >      based
> >      technical support.
> >      . http://cwashington.netreach.net  "Joe Fawcett"

> >      about the WSC, I couldn't find it?
> >      > Joe

> >      > There is a COM object on my site, sfimpersonator.dll, that will
do
> >      this for
> >      > you. Additionally, there is a WSC that uses the runas command if
> >      your
> >      > clients are Win2k and you don't want to install a third party COM
> >      object.
> >      > You can find sfimpersonator.dll in the tools section and the WSC
> >      in the
> >      > scriptDEPO.

> >      > Clarence

> >      > --
> >      > Win32Scripting...
> >      > Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
> >      > Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE
> >      of charge.
> >      > Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for
> >      community based
> >      > technical support.

> >      > http://cwashington.netreach.net

> >      > > Because of a co-existance issue, I would like to prompt the
user
> >      through
> >      > the
> >      > > logon script to reset his Windows2000 password.  I have the
> >      script up and
> >      > > working, except for permissions.   The user gets "Access
denied"
> >      with the
> >      > > SetPassword function.
> >      > > Is there a way to run part of the script in an "administrative"
> >      > permission,
> >      > > or what security writes are needed for the user to reset
> >      password through
> >      > > the logon script.
> >      > > TIA
> >      > > TC

Sat, 01 May 2004 22:53:18 GMT

1. Helpdesk Reset NT Passwords

2. Password reset for an entire OU

3. Password reset routine..

4. How to reset password on all DCs cross sites

5. Password Reset

6. Laser Password Reset

7. Storing password issue

8. Pull Bad-Password-Time and Bad-Password-Count

9. easiest way to reset NT account passwords through ASP?

10. Reset button doesn't work

11. Uncertainty on DSO.Reset()

12. How to reset the #-of-copies-made counter