Windows 98 clients with windows NT home directory
Author Message
 Windows 98 clients with windows NT home directory

I am installing a computer lab in a school that consists of a Windows
NT PDC, with 20 Windows 98 client computers.

Now I would like to have each user have his/her own home directory on
the NT Machine, yet I am running into a silly (Probably simple) problem.

I currently have one partition on the NT Box reserved for User Storage.

I made a folder under this partition:  E:/USERS

I have SHARED that folder calling it "USERS"

Now I have my user account profiles setup on the NT box as follows:

CONNECT ( U: ) to ( \\FILESERVER\USERS\%USERNAME% )

Now when I use a Windows 98 Client to logon to the Network, I can do
the command ( NET USE U: /HOME )

and I would expect that it will map U:\ to the \\FILESERVER\USERS\%
USERNAME% Directory...But it does'nt???
Instead it maps to the \\FILESERVER\USERS\ Directory...
It's one directory level below where I want it?

Oh, and when I try NT Workstation, everything works fine...But since my
lab is going to be Win98, I still need to figure out what I am doing
wrong?

Maybe I need some type of simple login script to run on each of the
Win98 workstations?  To map the directory?

My whole reason for the user directorys is to store user documents so
they can be accessed from any computer on the network...

Did I do somthing wrong? Am I KnUtZ?  :-)

Any help would be appreciated...Via a Post for all to see, or email...

Thanks in Advance..

Steve Sobka

Los Angeles Unified School District
(Work in L.A.! Work for the BORG!) ;-0

P.S. I posted this message in two seperate newsgroups? Is this wrong?
Im new to this news thing...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 26 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows 98 clients with windows NT home directory
The only way I have found that you can do this is by using SUBST... go to
www.ezine.com and look at the FAQ... it is in there...
Quote:

>I am installing a computer lab in a school that consists of a Windows
>NT PDC, with 20 Windows 98 client computers.

>Now I would like to have each user have his/her own home directory on
>the NT Machine, yet I am running into a silly (Probably simple) problem.

>I currently have one partition on the NT Box reserved for User Storage.

>I made a folder under this partition:  E:/USERS

>I have SHARED that folder calling it "USERS"

>Now I have my user account profiles setup on the NT box as follows:

>CONNECT ( U: ) to ( \\FILESERVER\USERS\%USERNAME% )

>Now when I use a Windows 98 Client to logon to the Network, I can do
>the command ( NET USE U: /HOME )

>and I would expect that it will map U:\ to the \\FILESERVER\USERS\%
>USERNAME% Directory...But it does'nt???
>Instead it maps to the \\FILESERVER\USERS\ Directory...
>It's one directory level below where I want it?

>Oh, and when I try NT Workstation, everything works fine...But since my
>lab is going to be Win98, I still need to figure out what I am doing
>wrong?

>Maybe I need some type of simple login script to run on each of the
>Win98 workstations?  To map the directory?

>My whole reason for the user directorys is to store user documents so
>they can be accessed from any computer on the network...

>Did I do somthing wrong? Am I KnUtZ?  :-)

>Any help would be appreciated...Via a Post for all to see, or email...

>Thanks in Advance..

>Steve Sobka

>Los Angeles Unified School District
>(Work in L.A.! Work for the BORG!) ;-0

>P.S. I posted this message in two seperate newsgroups? Is this wrong?
>Im new to this news thing...

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows 98 clients with windows NT home directory

That's because the %username% variable only exists on WinNT.  You have to
put the actual home directory in the users' profile for the 'net use u:
/home' to work.

Quote:

> I am installing a computer lab in a school that consists of a Windows
> NT PDC, with 20 Windows 98 client computers.

> Now I would like to have each user have his/her own home directory on
> the NT Machine, yet I am running into a silly (Probably simple) problem.

> I currently have one partition on the NT Box reserved for User Storage.

> I made a folder under this partition:  E:/USERS

> I have SHARED that folder calling it "USERS"

> Now I have my user account profiles setup on the NT box as follows:

> CONNECT ( U: ) to ( \\FILESERVER\USERS\%USERNAME% )

> Now when I use a Windows 98 Client to logon to the Network, I can do
> the command ( NET USE U: /HOME )

> and I would expect that it will map U:\ to the \\FILESERVER\USERS\%
> USERNAME% Directory...But it does'nt???
> Instead it maps to the \\FILESERVER\USERS\ Directory...
> It's one directory level below where I want it?

> Oh, and when I try NT Workstation, everything works fine...But since my
> lab is going to be Win98, I still need to figure out what I am doing
> wrong?

> Maybe I need some type of simple login script to run on each of the
> Win98 workstations?  To map the directory?

> My whole reason for the user directorys is to store user documents so
> they can be accessed from any computer on the network...

> Did I do somthing wrong? Am I KnUtZ?  :-)

> Any help would be appreciated...Via a Post for all to see, or email...

> Thanks in Advance..

> Steve Sobka

> Los Angeles Unified School District
> (Work in L.A.! Work for the BORG!) ;-0

> P.S. I posted this message in two seperate newsgroups? Is this wrong?
> Im new to this news thing...

Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows 98 clients with windows NT home directory
I got around this by Creating a hidden share for all the users
file://\\FILESERVER\USERS\LOGONNAME$"
Then you can map a drive like "NET USE H: \\FILESERVER\USERS\LOGONNAME$"

The SUBST command I believe will only work in NT.

Quote:

> I am installing a computer lab in a school that consists of a Windows
> NT PDC, with 20 Windows 98 client computers.

> Now I would like to have each user have his/her own home directory on
> the NT Machine, yet I am running into a silly (Probably simple) problem.

> I currently have one partition on the NT Box reserved for User Storage.

> I made a folder under this partition:  E:/USERS

> I have SHARED that folder calling it "USERS"

> Now I have my user account profiles setup on the NT box as follows:

> CONNECT ( U: ) to ( \\FILESERVER\USERS\%USERNAME% )

> Now when I use a Windows 98 Client to logon to the Network, I can do
> the command ( NET USE U: /HOME )

> and I would expect that it will map U:\ to the \\FILESERVER\USERS\%
> USERNAME% Directory...But it does'nt???
> Instead it maps to the \\FILESERVER\USERS\ Directory...
> It's one directory level below where I want it?

> Oh, and when I try NT Workstation, everything works fine...But since my
> lab is going to be Win98, I still need to figure out what I am doing
> wrong?

> Maybe I need some type of simple login script to run on each of the
> Win98 workstations?  To map the directory?

> My whole reason for the user directorys is to store user documents so
> they can be accessed from any computer on the network...

> Did I do somthing wrong? Am I KnUtZ?  :-)

> Any help would be appreciated...Via a Post for all to see, or email...

> Thanks in Advance..

> Steve Sobka

> Los Angeles Unified School District
> (Work in L.A.! Work for the BORG!) ;-0

> P.S. I posted this message in two seperate newsgroups? Is this wrong?
> Im new to this news thing...

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Installing PPD for Windows 98, NT, 2000

2. Looking for a simple TCP/IP Port Monitor for Windows NT or 95/98

3. IP address Extraction from a Windows 98 client

4. Windows Scripting Host for Windows 98 Book

5. wsh and windows 95 home directories

6. Problems Installing Windows Script 5.0 and Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta on Windows NT 4.0

7. Script to gather Client Info win95/98/nt/2000

8. Install Ghostscript on Windows NT Server Directory?

9. Windows 95/NT clients & ADSI

10. Accessing Client Environment Variables on Windows NT workstations

11. Mapping home directory for win98 client on win2K server

12. Error message on Windows 98