Security Concerns for implementing WSH in a Windows NT 4.0 environment
Author Message
 Security Concerns for implementing WSH in a Windows NT 4.0 environment

My company is coming late to the scripting party - looks like you all
have been having a blast - and I've been tasked with coming up with a
list of pros and cons for WSH vs. Kixtart.

My boss is concerned that we'll be increasing our exposure to VBS
worms & virii. We've got a fairly robust AV solution in place for our
400+ clients but cracks always seem to appear whenever a new VBS worm
manages to find its way into our network.

Anyone know of a place where I can see some good evidence for WSH vs.
Kixtart? There is surprising little on the Web about this via a Google
search on any number of permutations.

Thanks in advance.

Drew Grgich

Sun, 06 Jun 2004 03:38:41 GMT
 Security Concerns for implementing WSH in a Windows NT 4.0 environment
Every platform from Windows 98 on comes with WSH (except
for Windows NT), whether you use it or not. However, you
can remove the association for *.vbs files, so they don't
launch when you double click. Then, you can still run
scripts with wscript or cscript. Using Kixtart won't
reduce your risk, unless you remove WSH.

Richard

Quote:

Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:23:23 GMT

1. Security Concerns for implementing WSH in a Windows NT 4.0 environment

2. Problems Installing Windows Script 5.0 and Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta on Windows NT 4.0

3. Enabling Remote Access for WSH on Windows NT 4.0 SP6

4. WSH on NT 4.0 Server without IE 4.0 (5.0)

5. page setup with CorelDraw 6.0 under Windows NT 4.0

6. Font quality from Postscript on Windows NT 4.0

7. Trying to get old PS printer working from Windows NT 4.0

8. DeskJet 1000C and Windows NT 4.0

9. PS fonts and Windows NT 4.0

10. PS to PDF under windows NT 4.0 ?

11. PostScript Printer Driver AdobePS 5.0 for Windows NT 4.0 - U.S. English

12. Rebooting Windows NT 4.0