Running UI program using command line and browser
Author Message
 Running UI program using command line and browser

We are trying to invoke a UI program through the command line from within a
browser using either VBScript, JScript or Java. The program in question is a 32-
bit graphical client-server application which also accepts a command-line which
we want to "wrap" with a browser front-end.

The command line would be something similar to this:

"program.exe /C:25252 /P:1....."

where there would be additional parameters sent.

It is quite straightforward to run the command line from within a regular program
executable but we have not been able to do this from within a browser client
(using ASP). The program in question has a graphical UI and runs a report which
is output to HTML format. Once the report is done we will stream the HTML
document back to the client browser for viewing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Danny

Sat, 31 May 2003 10:56:40 GMT
 Running UI program using command line and browser
Run Method
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/windowshost/doc/wsMthRun.htm

Good luck!

I certainly hope that when this program is run with command line input that
it runs 100% silently 100% of the time.  When you execute a program from
server side ASP, it does NOT run on the visible desktop of the server.  If
it displays *anything* interactive, you're toast ;-)...  You'd be wise to
rethink.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

[...]

Sat, 31 May 2003 11:28:03 GMT
 Running UI program using command line and browser
Thank you for the reply Michael. If it makes any difference, the program does
display a status dialog but nothing interactive.

We have been able to get the command line to work using WSH when the program is
installed on the client but this sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.
Is there any way to make this kick off on the server? Or maybe have the program
running on an intermediary server?

Thanks once again.

Danny

Quote:
[...]

.

Sat, 31 May 2003 23:52:28 GMT
 Running UI program using command line and browser
Is this a 3rd party program or something developed in-house?  If you control the source code, I
would suggest making it an ActiveX EXE server that can be scripted non-interactively, much like Word
or Excel which are ActiveX EXE servers themselves.

In general, "off the shelf" 3rd party GUI programs don't fit very well into a server side solution
unless they expose a scriptable COM interface.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

[...]

Sun, 01 Jun 2003 01:15:27 GMT
 Running UI program using command line and browser
Sorry about the delay in responding. For some
reason your response was not posted on the
Microsoft scripting forum.

This is a 3rd party program and we have no access
to the source code unfortunately. Any other
suggestions?

Danny

In article

Quote:
> Is this a 3rd party program or something

developed in-house?  If you control the source
code, I
Quote:
> would suggest making it an ActiveX EXE server

that can be scripted non-interactively, much like
Word
Quote:
> or Excel which are ActiveX EXE servers
themselves.

> In general, "off the shelf" 3rd party GUI

programs don't fit very well into a server side
solution
Quote:
> unless they expose a scriptable COM interface.

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> Please do not email questions - post them to

the newsgroup instead.
Quote:
> --

Quote:
> Thank you for the reply Michael. If it makes

any difference, the program does
Quote:
> display a status dialog but nothing interactive.

> We have been able to get the command line to

work using WSH when the program is
Quote:
> installed on the client but this sort of

defeats the purpose of the whole thing.
Quote:
> Is there any way to make this kick off on the

server? Or maybe have the program
Quote:
> running on an intermediary server?

> Thanks once again.

> Danny

Quote:
> We are trying to invoke a UI program through

the command line from within a
Quote:
> browser using either VBScript, JScript or Java.

The program in question is a
Quote:
> 32-
> bit graphical client-server application which

also accepts a command-line
Quote:
> which
> we want to "wrap" with a browser front-end.

> The command line would be something similar to
this:

> "program.exe /C:25252 /P:1....."

> where there would be additional parameters sent.

> It is quite straightforward to run the command

line from within a regular
Quote:
> program
> executable but we have not been able to do this

from within a browser client
Quote:
> (using ASP). The program in question has a

graphical UI and runs a report
Quote:
> which
> is output to HTML format. Once the report is

done we will stream the HTML

Quote:
> document back to the client browser for viewing.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Danny

> .

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 02 Jun 2003 04:04:44 GMT
 Running UI program using command line and browser
The program is a 3rd party program and
unfortunately we have no access to source code.
We have contacted their development team to see
if there is some COM or OLE interface we may be
able to use. I guess other than that we are out
of luck unless you have any other ideas.

Thanks for the help.

In article

Quote:
> Is this a 3rd party program or something

developed in-house?  If you control the source
code, I
Quote:
> would suggest making it an ActiveX EXE server

that can be scripted non-interactively, much like
Word
Quote:
> or Excel which are ActiveX EXE servers
themselves.

> In general, "off the shelf" 3rd party GUI

programs don't fit very well into a server side
solution
Quote:
> unless they expose a scriptable COM interface.

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> Please do not email questions - post them to

the newsgroup instead.
Quote:
> --

Quote:
> Thank you for the reply Michael. If it makes

any difference, the program does
Quote:
> display a status dialog but nothing interactive.

> We have been able to get the command line to

work using WSH when the program is
Quote:
> installed on the client but this sort of

defeats the purpose of the whole thing.
Quote:
> Is there any way to make this kick off on the

server? Or maybe have the program
Quote:
> running on an intermediary server?

> Thanks once again.

> Danny

Quote:
> We are trying to invoke a UI program through

the command line from within a
Quote:
> browser using either VBScript, JScript or Java.

The program in question is a
Quote:
> 32-
> bit graphical client-server application which

also accepts a command-line
Quote:
> which
> we want to "wrap" with a browser front-end.

> The command line would be something similar to
this:

> "program.exe /C:25252 /P:1....."

> where there would be additional parameters sent.

> It is quite straightforward to run the command

line from within a regular
Quote:
> program
> executable but we have not been able to do this

from within a browser client
Quote:
> (using ASP). The program in question has a

graphical UI and runs a report
Quote:
> which
> is output to HTML format. Once the report is

done we will stream the HTML

Quote:
> document back to the client browser for viewing.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Danny

> .

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 02 Jun 2003 04:04:43 GMT
 Running UI program using command line and browser
Sorry about the delayed response. For some reason your reply did not
appear in the Microsoft discussion site but on deja.com.

This is a 3rd party program and we do not have access to the source
code unfortunately. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Danny

Quote:
> Is this a 3rd party program or something developed in-house?  If you

control the source code, I
Quote:
> would suggest making it an ActiveX EXE server that can be scripted

non-interactively, much like Word
Quote:
> or Excel which are ActiveX EXE servers themselves.

> In general, "off the shelf" 3rd party GUI programs don't fit very

well into a server side solution
Quote:
> unless they expose a scriptable COM interface.

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> --

Quote:
> Thank you for the reply Michael. If it makes any difference, the
program does
> display a status dialog but nothing interactive.

> We have been able to get the command line to work using WSH when the
program is
> installed on the client but this sort of defeats the purpose of the
whole thing.
> Is there any way to make this kick off on the server? Or maybe have
the program
> running on an intermediary server?

> Thanks once again.

> Danny

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 02 Jun 2003 04:06:29 GMT

1. Sleep command and running a command line in VBScript

2. Passing values into and out of Command Line application *and* command line prompt in vbscript

3. Scripting command line applications & Command Line Prompting

4. Browser window opens behind command line window on 2000 machine

5. invoke command line action from browser?

6. Browser window opens behind command line window on 2000 machine

7. invoke command line action from browser?

8. Capture output from command line program

9. Command-Line argument to foxpro2.0 program

10. How do you execute a command-line program, and return the results into a variable

11. Execute command line program from VBScript

12. Accessing Command-Line parameters from a program.vbs