Help with a registry entry...
Author Message
 Help with a registry entry...

Every so often I need to have a PC be ready to use by a different user that
normal, or a user will take up a temporary office.  Our timecards are on
Access database on the network.  Is there a way to run a script each time a
new user logs on to a NT Workstation?  I have a script that will create all
the needed shortuts for the new users, but I would like to have it run at
their first login and never again.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with a registry entry...
Write a script which will write a file name of the user (%username%), with
whatever ext. you want, to the root of the system drive.  Finish running the
script for the first time as you want.  At the start of the script check to
see if the file exists on the root of the system drive.  If it does exit out
and do not rerun the script.  If it does not, you know that this is the
first time the user as logged onto this nt workstation.

--
Ron L. Giles, MCSE, MCP + Internet,  MVP
Use the Best - Microsoft Exchange Server

Quote:
> Every so often I need to have a PC be ready to use by a different user
that
> normal, or a user will take up a temporary office.  Our timecards are on
> Access database on the network.  Is there a way to run a script each time
> new user logs on to a NT Workstation?  I have a script that will create
all
> the needed shortuts for the new users, but I would like to have it run at
> their first login and never again.

> Any Ideas?

> Thanks in advance

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with a registry entry...
If you wish to run the script for each new user then put a flag entry
within the current user part of the registry. Check for this flag at the
start of your script and if it doesn't exist..create it and create your
links. You'll probably want to check that the user isn't the default user
before doing anything, (as this is merged with any new user profiles)

Regards

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with a registry entry...
Also, just had a thought,

If you create a runonce entry under the default user registry key then when
any new user logs on that key would be executed.

Haven't tried it but it should work as long as a default user can't login.

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help with a registry entry...

2. Reading registry entries from within an HTML help file

3. VBScript and registry PagingFile Entry....

4. Registry Entry

5. Update of the system after changing registry entries

6. could someone REpost the solution to recursing registry entries

7. Registry entry for IE right click option

8. how to write/delete entries in the registry.

9. Checking that registry entries exist

10. Changing the (Default) Entry in a Registry Key

11. I Love U Registry Entry

12. Copying registry entries from one place to another