WSH 5.6 and Windows 95
Author Message
 WSH 5.6 and Windows 95

Will WSH 5.6 run on Windows 95? On the download page there is no link for
downloading the Windows 95 version, only the Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000
versions.

Is Windows 95 still supported, as I'm sure there are still many people on
low spec PC's that can only run Windows 95 and not Windows 98? Not everyone
can afford to upgrade just to get better scripting capabilities. There may
be more Windows 95 users than Windows ME (or even 98).

Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:42:01 GMT
 WSH 5.6 and Windows 95
Hi

From http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/VBScript/scripting56.asp :

<qoute>
Windows Script 5.6 beta

Requirements:
Windows 95 will not be supported by this beta but will be for the release
version.
</qoute>

I have installed it on a Windows 95A (no OSR2) without any error messages.
Running some simple scripts worked as well.
I have no idea of what the official MS policy is nowadays for WSH support on
W95.

Regards,
Torgeir

Quote:

> Will WSH 5.6 run on Windows 95? On the download page there is no link for
> downloading the Windows 95 version, only the Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000
> versions.

> Is Windows 95 still supported, as I'm sure there are still many people on
> low spec PC's that can only run Windows 95 and not Windows 98? Not everyone
> can afford to upgrade just to get better scripting capabilities. There may
> be more Windows 95 users than Windows ME (or even 98).

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:18:42 GMT
 WSH 5.6 and Windows 95

Quote:
> I have no idea of what the official MS policy is nowadays for WSH support on
> W95.

Probably comparable to support for Window 95 itself...

Windows Desktop Product Lifecycle Guidelines
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.asp

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:38:52 GMT
 WSH 5.6 and Windows 95
Have you tried the non-beta version?

Quote:
> Hi

> From http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/vbscript/scripting56.asp :

> <qoute>
> Windows Script 5.6 beta

> Requirements:
> Windows 95 will not be supported by this beta but will be for the release
> version.
> </qoute>

> I have installed it on a Windows 95A (no OSR2) without any error messages.
> Running some simple scripts worked as well.
> I have no idea of what the official MS policy is nowadays for WSH support
on
> W95.

> Regards,
> Torgeir

> > Will WSH 5.6 run on Windows 95? On the download page there is no link
for
> > downloading the Windows 95 version, only the Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000
> > versions.

> > Is Windows 95 still supported, as I'm sure there are still many people
on
> > low spec PC's that can only run Windows 95 and not Windows 98? Not
everyone
> > can afford to upgrade just to get better scripting capabilities. There
may
> > be more Windows 95 users than Windows ME (or even 98).

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:03:34 GMT
 WSH 5.6 and Windows 95
Hi

Yes, it was the release (non-beta) version I tried on W95A. As pointed out, the
release (non-beta)  Web page says nothing about W95, but the beta Web page does!

Regards,
Torgeir

Quote:

> Have you tried the non-beta version?

> > Hi

> > From http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/vbscript/scripting56.asp :

> > <qoute>
> > Windows Script 5.6 beta

> > Requirements:
> > Windows 95 will not be supported by this beta but will be for the release
> > version.
> > </qoute>

> > I have installed it on a Windows 95A (no OSR2) without any error messages.
> > Running some simple scripts worked as well.
> > I have no idea of what the official MS policy is nowadays for WSH support
> on
> > W95.

> > Regards,
> > Torgeir

> > > Will WSH 5.6 run on Windows 95? On the download page there is no link
> for
> > > downloading the Windows 95 version, only the Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000
> > > versions.

> > > Is Windows 95 still supported, as I'm sure there are still many people
> on
> > > low spec PC's that can only run Windows 95 and not Windows 98? Not
> everyone
> > > can afford to upgrade just to get better scripting capabilities. There
> may
> > > be more Windows 95 users than Windows ME (or even 98).

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:19:49 GMT
 WSH 5.6 and Windows 95
Windows Script 5.6 is supported on the platforms that Microsoft supports.
This means that we don't support Windows 95 any more I'm afraid.  Why?
Windows Script relies on a number of other components such as COM, DCOM etc
and if they're not supported on Windows 95 any more then no matter how hard
we try to make Windows Script work on Windows 95 if there's a bug in COM on
Windows 95 that we need to be fixed then it's highly unlikely that it will
be fixed.

The information about Windows 95 given during the beta time was true when we
posted the beta but the Windows 95 support policy changed since the beta.  I
apologize for any confusion that this might have caused.

Regards

Andrew

Quote:
> Hi

> From http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/vbscript/scripting56.asp :

> <qoute>
> Windows Script 5.6 beta

> Requirements:
> Windows 95 will not be supported by this beta but will be for the release
> version.
> </qoute>

> I have installed it on a Windows 95A (no OSR2) without any error messages.
> Running some simple scripts worked as well.
> I have no idea of what the official MS policy is nowadays for WSH support
on
> W95.

> Regards,
> Torgeir

> > Will WSH 5.6 run on Windows 95? On the download page there is no link
for
> > downloading the Windows 95 version, only the Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000
> > versions.

> > Is Windows 95 still supported, as I'm sure there are still many people
on
> > low spec PC's that can only run Windows 95 and not Windows 98? Not
everyone
> > can afford to upgrade just to get better scripting capabilities. There
may
> > be more Windows 95 users than Windows ME (or even 98).

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:48:23 GMT
 WSH 5.6 and Windows 95
Thanks for clearing that up.

I suppose people would have to upgrade eventually as hardware is getting
cheaper and will most likely last longer than previous computers (ie 486's
Pentium I's) as they already have very good multimedia capabilities, even
the cheapest ones you can buy (less than 400 in the UK).

5 years in computer terms is a very long time due to the speed of
technological advancement.

Quote:
> Windows Script 5.6 is supported on the platforms that Microsoft supports.
> This means that we don't support Windows 95 any more I'm afraid.  Why?
> Windows Script relies on a number of other components such as COM, DCOM
etc
> and if they're not supported on Windows 95 any more then no matter how
hard
> we try to make Windows Script work on Windows 95 if there's a bug in COM
on
> Windows 95 that we need to be fixed then it's highly unlikely that it will
> be fixed.

> The information about Windows 95 given during the beta time was true when
we
> posted the beta but the Windows 95 support policy changed since the beta.
> apologize for any confusion that this might have caused.

> Regards

> Andrew

> > Hi

> > From http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/vbscript/scripting56.asp :

> > <qoute>
> > Windows Script 5.6 beta

> > Requirements:
> > Windows 95 will not be supported by this beta but will be for the
release
> > version.
> > </qoute>

> > I have installed it on a Windows 95A (no OSR2) without any error
messages.
> > Running some simple scripts worked as well.
> > I have no idea of what the official MS policy is nowadays for WSH
support
> on
> > W95.

> > Regards,
> > Torgeir

> > > Will WSH 5.6 run on Windows 95? On the download page there is no link
> for
> > > downloading the Windows 95 version, only the Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000
> > > versions.

> > > Is Windows 95 still supported, as I'm sure there are still many people
> on
> > > low spec PC's that can only run Windows 95 and not Windows 98? Not
> everyone
> > > can afford to upgrade just to get better scripting capabilities. There
> may
> > > be more Windows 95 users than Windows ME (or even 98).

Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:36:51 GMT

1. Reinstalling WSH 5.6 on Windows XP

2. Windows XP and Wsh 5.6

3. Availability of WSH 5.6 beta for Windows ME.

4. WSH 5.6 Beta on Windows Me

5. Installing WSH on Windows 95

6. Windows 95 Restart via WSH

7. Windows 95 Restart via WSH

8. WSH, STE50, Windows 95, Errors, Failure, and my success

9. wsh for windows 95

10. WSH not running on Windows 95???

11. can windows 95 clients execute wsh scripts?

12. wsh and windows 95 home directories