A Challenge for y'all
Author Message
 A Challenge for y'all

As part of a very ambitious Active Desktop design progect,
I want to be able to retrieve system information in
realtime from inside a web page (preferably using
Javascript not VBScript, but that's a minor point)

Now....I've thought bout getting my computer to
automatically log it fom System Information and then open
it, but the kind of information I want is stuff like %age
of resources/memory free, amount of free space on HDDs,
that kind of thing....I was hoping (but have so far been
unsuccessful trawling MSDN for it) to find this kind of
functionality in WScript, or something like that... If
anone has any ideas at all on how to do it, please mail me.

The final effect is meant to be a combination of System
Resource Meter and the System Summary in System
Information.

By the way, I'm running WindowsME... I can hear you sigh
now!

TIA, Owen Smith

Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:00:24 GMT
 A Challenge for y'all
  Drive space and Drive free space are available with the
FSO drive object.

   For most of the rest: You can use WMI but it's not accessible
with straight script. It requires things that VBS alone can't do,
such as enumerating Registry keys and reading from
HKEY_DYN_DATA keys that contain backslashes.

    For some sample code that enumerates hardware, gets
CPU load, etc. by using VBScript to read from the Registry:
http://www.jsware.net/jsware/zips/sysinfo.zip

  These samples require using an extra component, though.

> As part of a very ambitious Active Desktop design progect,
> I want to be able to retrieve system information in
> realtime from inside a web page (preferably using
> Javascript not VBScript, but that's a minor point)

> Now....I've thought bout getting my computer to
> automatically log it fom System Information and then open
> it, but the kind of information I want is stuff like %age
> of resources/memory free, amount of free space on HDDs,
> that kind of thing....I was hoping (but have so far been
> unsuccessful trawling MSDN for it) to find this kind of
> functionality in WScript, or something like that... If
> anone has any ideas at all on how to do it, please mail me.

> The final effect is meant to be a combination of System
> Resource Meter and the System Summary in System
> Information.

> By the way, I'm running WindowsME... I can hear you sigh
> now!

> TIA, Owen Smith

Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:06:13 GMT
 A Challenge for y'all
Thankyou, that's a very useful start...But in typical
fashion, i've now upgraded to XP, rendering the script you
pointed me to useless!!! should be modifiable, though.
Thanks.
Quote:

Sat, 24 Dec 2005 03:50:13 GMT
 A Challenge for y'all
  I don't have much experience with the NT Registry, but I don't think
you'll be able to access what you want with VBS. In 9x you can get
system info and performance stats through HKEY_DYN_DATA but,
as I understand it, on NT it's accessed through
HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA, which doesn't seem to actually
be a Registry key in the usual sense. HKPD access is done through
PDH.DLL - quite involved and not script-accessible.

   XP has WMI built-in, though. I think that will get you what you want.
(I don't use WMI but maybe someone else here can offer a sample.)

> Thankyou, that's a very useful start...But in typical
> fashion, i've now upgraded to XP, rendering the script you
> pointed me to useless!!! should be modifiable, though.
> Thanks.

Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:40:52 GMT

1. A Challenge for y'all

2. Here's a challenge - almost but....

3. A regular expression - a challenge to yall !

4. highlighted text challenge

5. challenge: document storage

6. form posting challenge!:)

7. X-O Arena - THE challenge for JavaScript programmer.

8. IFRAME Challenge Question

9. Web Challenge: No image can be downloaded from site

10. A VBSCRIPT CHALLENGE!!!

11. A Challenge: Looking for Menu Script

12. Challenging SQL Insert statement