Copying files to WinNT dir via logon script?
Author Message
 Copying files to WinNT dir via logon script?

Is there a way for a logon script to copy files into WinNT dir without
giving the users files permission or group membership to the desktop?
Desktop is running Win2K Pro.
All users a member of Users local group and we want to keep it that way.
Also, we were told that neither Users group or user domain account can have
write perimission to WinNT Dir in order to prevent users from installing
software.
Any ideas?
TIA,
Sung

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:47:38 GMT
 Copying files to WinNT dir via logon script?
Hi
How about writing your article on your notepad, read it yourself, then post?
If you are a Korean like me, some painful rehearsal is needed for us.
Sincerely Yours

Quote:
> Is there a way for a logon script to copy files into WinNT dir without
> giving the users files permission or group membership to the desktop?
> Desktop is running Win2K Pro.
> All users a member of Users local group and we want to keep it that way.
> Also, we were told that neither Users group or user domain account can
have
> write perimission to WinNT Dir in order to prevent users from installing
> software.
> Any ideas?
> TIA,
> Sung

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:19:51 GMT
 Copying files to WinNT dir via logon script?
Hi

Some suggestions that *may* work for you:

1)
Use the runas utility.

Subject: Issues to do with Oz Daylight savings and login scripts
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.adsi.general, microsoft.public.platformsdk.adsi,
microsoft.public.scripting.VBScript, microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2000/08/24

(you can use http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search to fetch it :-)
and

Q225035 - Secondary Logon (Run As): Starting Programs and Tools in Local
Administrative Context
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q225/0/35.ASP

2)
Make an MS Installer (MSI ) package that runs with elevated privileges. If I am
not mistaken, some registry settings on the client must be in place for this to
work.

Note: I think opening for elevated privileges in MSI gives the user an
opportunity to install unauthorised MSI apps if he/she knows a little bit about
it).

3)
Use SFimpersonator.dll

Note: It has to be installed on the client PC first (with a local admin user) so
it's a kind of a Catch 22 situation ;-)

More info can be found here:

Subject: running scripts as another user
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2001-01-04 13:04:47 PST

Regards,
Torgeir

Quote:

> Is there a way for a logon script to copy files into WinNT dir without
> giving the users files permission or group membership to the desktop?
> Desktop is running Win2K Pro.
> All users a member of Users local group and we want to keep it that way.
> Also, we were told that neither Users group or user domain account can have
> write perimission to WinNT Dir in order to prevent users from installing
> software.
> Any ideas?
> TIA,
> Sung

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:47:40 GMT

1. Copying files to WinNT dir via logon script?

2. File Copy Logon Script

3. Running VBS Script Via Logon Batch File

4. copy files to c:\winnt\system32

5. Uploading file(s) via PWS on WinNT/9x

6. Copy printerdrivers and adding printers with wsh2.0 logon script on win95 clients

7. Removing NETBEUI and IPX via a logon script.

8. setup Outlook profile via logon script

9. Logon Script via GPO tries to load on XP when there is no network connection

10. Removing NETBEUI and IPX/SPX via logon script.

11. Copy latest DIRs...using FileSysObj or DOS-DIR?

12. How to copy files via shell32?