HTAs for Remote Control Applications
Author Message
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications

I've written some HTA-embedded scripts the past few weeks for the purpose of
allowing easy command-line access to various remote control tools -
specifically hosts running Metaframe, Windows Terminal Services, and
pcAnywhere.

Each of them may be run simply by providing the name of the hta (including
the extensions) and the target IP on the command line.  Below are links to
them for anyone interested in trying the.  Be aware that you need the
appropriate ActiveX control for each remote client app installed.

pcAnywhere - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Term Services - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Citrix - http://www.*-*-*.com/

If anyone tries them, I am quite interested in feedback and critiques.

Mon, 03 May 2004 20:55:39 GMT
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications

May I post them on my site???...

Clarence

Win32Scripting...
Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of charge.
Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based
technical support.
.

http://cwashington.netreach.net

Quote:
> I've written some HTA-embedded scripts the past few weeks for the purpose of
> allowing easy command-line access to various remote control tools -
> specifically hosts running Metaframe, Windows Terminal Services, and
> pcAnywhere.

> Each of them may be run simply by providing the name of the hta (including
> the extensions) and the target IP on the command line.  Below are links to
> them for anyone interested in trying the.  Be aware that you need the
> appropriate ActiveX control for each remote client app installed.

> pcAnywhere - http://www.bittnet.com/aka/aka/files/pca.hta

> Term Services - http://www.bittnet.com/aka/aka/files/rdp.hta

> Citrix - http://www.bittnet.com/aka/aka/files/ica.hta

> If anyone tries them, I am quite interested in feedback and critiques.

Mon, 03 May 2004 20:58:59 GMT
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications

Please feel free Clarence.  I will send some updated documentation later.  I think I put the RDP one in your "in" queue at the site, but I submitted it a couple of weeks ago so it may have been when your submission engine was having problems.

  May I post them on my site???...

  Clarence

  Win32Scripting...
  Not that one by Duke Publishing. The ORIGINAL!
  Over 500 scripts and over 50 COM objects to download and use FREE of charge.
  Also check out the public online forum and chat rooms for community based
  technical support.
  .

  http://cwashington.netreach.net

  > I've written some HTA-embedded scripts the past few weeks for the purpose of
  > allowing easy command-line access to various remote control tools -
  > specifically hosts running Metaframe, Windows Terminal Services, and
  > pcAnywhere.
  >
  > Each of them may be run simply by providing the name of the hta (including
  > the extensions) and the target IP on the command line.  Below are links to
  > them for anyone interested in trying the.  Be aware that you need the
  > appropriate ActiveX control for each remote client app installed.
  >
  > pcAnywhere - http://www.bittnet.com/aka/aka/files/pca.hta
  >
  > Term Services - http://www.bittnet.com/aka/aka/files/rdp.hta
  >
  > Citrix - http://www.bittnet.com/aka/aka/files/ica.hta
  >
  > If anyone tries them, I am quite interested in feedback and critiques.

Mon, 03 May 2004 21:13:44 GMT
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications
Clarence:

Here are some notes on those HTA's FYI - since I will probably not have time
to do "real" documentation soon.

1. TESTED ENVIRONMENT
WinXP RC2, of course meaning IE 6 and WSH 5.6.  HTAs where all run from
paths without embedded spaces

2. EXTERNAL APPLICATIONS REQUIRED
Appropriate addins, as mentioned in my prior post.  This means:
2.1. For RDP (Windows Terminal Services) the TSAC ActiveX component
2.2. For pcAnywhere, the pcAnywhere ActiveX control.  This is on at least
late 8.x and early 9.x CDs for pcAnywhere as an extra.  It may also be found
on the Internet various places - look for pawrem.cab or pawrem.dll.
2.3. For the ICA tool, a recent Citrix Metaframe client.

3. USAGE
Just run each HTA from the commandline INCLUDING the .hta extension, with
the target IP as the sole argument.

4. KNOWN OR POSSIBLE LIMITATIONS AND QUIRKS
4.1 Although the RDP and ICA versions will allow you to use a recognized DNS
name as an argument, the pcAnywhere version chokes on it - due to an issue
with the ActiveX control AFAIK.
4.2 The RDP and pcA tools will allow you to close them out without warning
you that you will leave a disconnected session.  This is the same way the
web access to WTS and pcA has always operated, of course.
4.3 The window containers created by the RDP and pcA files are sloppily
sized.
4.4 The HTAs MIGHT NOT work when run from a path with embedded spaces - this
is due to the argument parsing technique I used.

Tue, 04 May 2004 08:37:50 GMT
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications
Try this for HTA commandLine parsing

oHTAcommandLine > "drive:\full path\my hta name.hta" user arguments

aryCommandLine=Split(oHTA.CommandLine,""" ",2)

UBound(aryCommandLine) = 1 means user arguments passed
UBound(aryCommandLine) = 0 means *no* user arguments passed

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Quote:
> Clarence:

> Here are some notes on those HTA's FYI - since I will probably not have time
> to do "real" documentation soon.

> 1. TESTED ENVIRONMENT
> WinXP RC2, of course meaning IE 6 and WSH 5.6.  HTAs where all run from
> paths without embedded spaces

> 2. EXTERNAL APPLICATIONS REQUIRED
> Appropriate addins, as mentioned in my prior post.  This means:
> 2.1. For RDP (Windows Terminal Services) the TSAC ActiveX component
> 2.2. For pcAnywhere, the pcAnywhere ActiveX control.  This is on at least
> late 8.x and early 9.x CDs for pcAnywhere as an extra.  It may also be found
> on the Internet various places - look for pawrem.cab or pawrem.dll.
> 2.3. For the ICA tool, a recent Citrix Metaframe client.

> 3. USAGE
> Just run each HTA from the commandline INCLUDING the .hta extension, with
> the target IP as the sole argument.

> 4. KNOWN OR POSSIBLE LIMITATIONS AND QUIRKS
> 4.1 Although the RDP and ICA versions will allow you to use a recognized DNS
> name as an argument, the pcAnywhere version chokes on it - due to an issue
> with the ActiveX control AFAIK.
> 4.2 The RDP and pcA tools will allow you to close them out without warning
> you that you will leave a disconnected session.  This is the same way the
> web access to WTS and pcA has always operated, of course.
> 4.3 The window containers created by the RDP and pcA files are sloppily
> sized.
> 4.4 The HTAs MIGHT NOT work when run from a path with embedded spaces - this
> is due to the argument parsing technique I used.

Tue, 04 May 2004 10:45:20 GMT
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications
Let's see if I can make my brain function before coffee...

I'm trying to understand what you said and I'm getting these combat
flashbacks to people telling me "Oh, you can do that with one line in
Perl..." ;)

(1) by switching from my
Split(oHTA.CommandLine," ",2)
to your
Split(oHTA.CommandLine,""" ",2)

I should be able to get around those spaces in file names. I can take that
on faith (and try it) but I don't understand what the """ " really means.

(2) The Ubound is great  - I can also drop in a test for a missing argument
and make the HTA abort execution before it tries to creating an endlessly
{*filter*} connection to server "". Do I need to do a "trim" still to get rid
of  any leftover spaces?

Try this for HTA commandLine parsing

oHTAcommandLine > "drive:\full path\my hta name.hta" user arguments

aryCommandLine=Split(oHTA.CommandLine,""" ",2)

UBound(aryCommandLine) = 1 means user arguments passed
UBound(aryCommandLine) = 0 means *no* user arguments passed

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Tue, 04 May 2004 17:55:14 GMT
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications

>I should be able to get around those spaces in file names. I can take that
>on faith (and try it) but I don't understand what the """ " really means.

To write a string containing a quote character (") in VBScript, you
double up the quote character within the string.  """ " is the
VBScript string constant for /" /.  (Using / as a delimiter here to
avoid confusion.)
  Direct3D Book http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/
    Don't Support Spammers!  Boycott Fractal Painter 7!
     http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/spammers.html

Wed, 05 May 2004 01:17:57 GMT
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications
I would Trim(aryCommandLine(1)) after checking that UBound(aryCommandLine) is > 0...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Let's see if I can make my brain function before coffee...

> I'm trying to understand what you said and I'm getting these combat
> flashbacks to people telling me "Oh, you can do that with one line in
> Perl..." ;)

> (1) by switching from my
> Split(oHTA.CommandLine," ",2)
> to your
> Split(oHTA.CommandLine,""" ",2)

> I should be able to get around those spaces in file names. I can take that
> on faith (and try it) but I don't understand what the """ " really means.

> (2) The Ubound is great  - I can also drop in a test for a missing argument
> and make the HTA abort execution before it tries to creating an endlessly
>{*filter*} connection to server "". Do I need to do a "trim" still to get rid
> of  any leftover spaces?

> Try this for HTA commandLine parsing

> oHTAcommandLine > "drive:\full path\my hta name.hta" user arguments

> aryCommandLine=Split(oHTA.CommandLine,""" ",2)

> UBound(aryCommandLine) = 1 means user arguments passed
> UBound(aryCommandLine) = 0 means *no* user arguments passed

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Wed, 05 May 2004 06:12:33 GMT
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications
Good experience.

Regards,

Sat, 08 May 2004 17:28:25 GMT
 HTAs for Remote Control Applications
Close due to no further action needed.

Sat, 08 May 2004 18:12:20 GMT

1. Using ActiveX or Script to Access Remote Mail Server via HTA Application

2. How To Execute Application On Remote Computer

3. use vbscript to start application at remote computer

4. Using ActiveX or Script to Access Remote Mail Server via HTA Application

5. WMI - Launching an Application With Network Access on a Remote Machine

6. Easy way to start remote windows application...

7. Remote scripting problem (application is invisible)

8. Using ActiveX or Script to Access Remote Mail Server via HTA Application

9. Found a Microsoft control for remote registry functions!!!

10. Remote Scripting: Trouble Referencing an Active X Control on the Server Page

11. Remote Scripting: Trouble Referencing an Active X Control on the Server in ASP

12. msrdp.ocx (Remote Desktop) control