Script to Mute Sound - Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems
Author Message
 Script to Mute Sound - Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems

We have a need to automate muting/disabling operating system sound.  Does
anyone know of a good "non-SendKeys" way of doing this?  We don't want to
completely disable sound so DevCon is out of the question.

TIA...

--
CJ M

(Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and
all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
download and archival fee in the amount of $1000 US.  E-mailing denotes
acceptance of these terms.)

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:42:35 GMT
 Script to Mute Sound - Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems
Why are you trying to cut of sensing?

Seeing, hearing, touching, that's all there is with computers.

"We don't want to completely disable sound"

Sounds a plug to me already.

Quote:

> We have a need to automate muting/disabling operating system sound.  Does
> anyone know of a good "non-SendKeys" way of doing this?  We don't want to
> completely disable sound so DevCon is out of the question.

> TIA...

> --
> CJ M

> (Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and
> all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
> download and archival fee in the amount of $1000 US.  E-mailing denotes
> acceptance of these terms.)

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:09:24 GMT
 Script to Mute Sound - Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems
We support over 40,000 desktops at my company.  One particular Unit is in
banking/finance and needs the computers to be absolutely silent [at build
time] so as to not disturb customers, employees, etc. at their banking
institutions.  We do our best with internal scripts and executables to
automate EVERYTHING (lowering the TCO) and this is one item I have not
gotten automated.

CJ M

Quote:
> Why are you trying to cut of sensing?

> Seeing, hearing, touching, that's all there is with computers.

> "We don't want to completely disable sound"

> Sounds a plug to me already.

> > We have a need to automate muting/disabling operating system sound.
Does
> > anyone know of a good "non-SendKeys" way of doing this?  We don't want
> > completely disable sound so DevCon is out of the question.

> > TIA...

> > --
> > CJ M

> > (Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and
> > all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
> > download and archival fee in the amount of $1000 US.  E-mailing denotes
> > acceptance of these terms.)

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:43:09 GMT
 Script to Mute Sound - Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems

Quote:

> We support over 40,000 desktops at my company.  One particular Unit
> is in banking/finance and needs the computers to be absolutely silent
> [at build time] so as to not disturb customers, employees, etc. at
> their banking institutions.  We do our best with internal scripts and
> executables to automate EVERYTHING (lowering the TCO) and this is one
> item I have not gotten automated.

Are there perhaps some hidden command line options for sndvol32.exe?

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:26:54 GMT
 Script to Mute Sound - Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems

Quote:

>> We support over 40,000 desktops at my company.  One particular Unit
>> is in banking/finance and needs the computers to be absolutely silent
>> [at build time] so as to not disturb customers, employees, etc. at
>> their banking institutions.  We do our best with internal scripts and
>> executables to automate EVERYTHING (lowering the TCO) and this is one
>> item I have not gotten automated.

> Are there perhaps some hidden command line options for sndvol32.exe?

How about this:

"A Volume Control OCX - Visual Basic, vb, VBScript"
http://www.planet-source-code.com/xq/ASP/txtCodeId.21206/lngWId.1/qx/...

one-line URL.  If it wraps, try this one:

http://shorterlink.com/?E4H6DQ

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:52:44 GMT
 Script to Mute Sound - Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems
Thanks! - I'll give it a shot!

CJ M

Quote:
> alt.distinguished.""Brian W"

Quote:

> >> We support over 40,000 desktops at my company.  One particular Unit
> >> is in banking/finance and needs the computers to be absolutely silent
> >> [at build time] so as to not disturb customers, employees, etc. at
> >> their banking institutions.  We do our best with internal scripts and
> >> executables to automate EVERYTHING (lowering the TCO) and this is one
> >> item I have not gotten automated.

> > Are there perhaps some hidden command line options for sndvol32.exe?

> How about this:

> "A Volume Control OCX - visual basic, vb, vbscript"

http://www.planet-source-code.com/xq/ASP/txtCodeId.21206/lngWId.1/qx/...
pts/ShowCode.htm

> one-line URL.  If it wraps, try this one:

> http://shorterlink.com/?E4H6DQ

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:44:02 GMT
 Script to Mute Sound - Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems
OKAY-
I have compiled the OCX, but now what?  How do I get the little GUI that the
developer has on the linked website?

I'm a newbie to VB6 - so I apologize in advance!

CJ M

Quote:
> Thanks! - I'll give it a shot!

> CJ M

> > alt.distinguished.""Brian W"

> > > Are there perhaps some hidden command line options for sndvol32.exe?

> > How about this:

> > "A Volume Control OCX - visual basic, vb, vbscript"

http://www.planet-source-code.com/xq/ASP/txtCodeId.21206/lngWId.1/qx/...

> pts/ShowCode.htm

> > one-line URL.  If it wraps, try this one:

> > http://shorterlink.com/?E4H6DQ

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 05:27:10 GMT
 Script to Mute Sound - Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems
[posted and mailed]

Quote:
> OKAY-
> I have compiled the OCX, but now what?  How do I get the little GUI
> that the developer has on the linked website?

> I'm a newbie to VB6 - so I apologize in advance!

> CJ M

To duplicate his GUI, compile his included Project2.vbp with VB6.

But since you asked about this in a *scripting* newsgroup, I thought you
wanted to use it in a wsh script:

set oVolCtl = createobject("....")  ' what goes here??
oVolCtl.m_DeviceToControl = 5 ' defined as mWave
oVolCtl.m_mute = true

I don't know what would go in the createobject statement; I don't have VB6
and I don't understand how that name would get set up.  In fact without the
compiled OCX in front of me, I'm not sure that this OCX will even work with
scripting.   You might *have* to use it in a VB executable, maybe one that
mutes the wave device and exits, or whatever.

Would you mind e-mailing me the compiled OCX?  I'm interested now...

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 05:50:57 GMT

1. Windows Script 5.5 Beta 1 setup for Windows 2000 available

2. Windows Script 5.5 Beta 1 setup for Windows 2000 available

3. windows xp and jscript - I cannot Install scriptgen with windows XP

4. writing vbscript to know the OS of a remote PC ( is WIndows NT or WIndows 2000)

5. MSM available for installing Windows Script host on Windows XP, 2000 and NT 4?

6. Problems Installing Windows Script 5.0 and Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta on Windows NT 4.0

7. MSM available for installing Windows Script host on Windows XP, 2000 and NT 4?

8. Windows 2000, VB Script, Visual InterDev and SQL Server 7

9. Install Printer with script on Windows 2000 Print Server

10. Windows 2000 Scripting Guide

11. schedule vb script in Windows 2000

12. Windows 2000 server Login in script