Common dialog for folder select
Author Message
 Common dialog for folder select

From a script file I want to display a comon dialog type box that lets a user select a directory.  Whatever directory they select
will be what the rest of the script works with.

What would be the simplest way to accomplish this?  I have seen some examples that looked like overkill for what I need but I'll try
whatever works.

Thanks,
Joebob

--
To reply directly, replace the zero in my email address with the letter e.

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Common dialog for folder select
On systems with Active Desktop, you can use the BrowseForFolder method of the Shell.Application
object.

Search the script repository for BrowseForFolder for examples...

Win32 Scripting [Clarence Washington]
http://cwashington.netreach.net
http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/repository.asp
http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/query.asp
http://cwashington.netreach.net/main_site/downloads
http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/faqs.asp?topic=wmifaq
http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/faqs.asp?topic=adsifaq

--
Michael Harris
MVP Scripting

From a script file I want to display a comon dialog type box that lets a user select a directory.
Whatever directory they select
will be what the rest of the script works with.

What would be the simplest way to accomplish this?  I have seen some examples that looked like
overkill for what I need but I'll try
whatever works.

Thanks,
Joebob

--
To reply directly, replace the zero in my email address with the letter e.

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Common dialog for folder select
This would be for systems without Active Desktop.  Is there a way?
Quote:

> On systems with Active Desktop, you can use the BrowseForFolder method of the Shell.Application
> object.

> Search the script repository for BrowseForFolder for examples...

> Win32 Scripting [Clarence Washington]
> http://cwashington.netreach.net
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/repository.asp
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/query.asp
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/main_site/downloads
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/faqs.asp?topic=wmifaq
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/faqs.asp?topic=adsifaq

> --
> Michael Harris
> MVP Scripting

> From a script file I want to display a comon dialog type box that lets a user select a directory.
> Whatever directory they select
> will be what the rest of the script works with.

> What would be the simplest way to accomplish this?  I have seen some examples that looked like
> overkill for what I need but I'll try
> whatever works.

> Thanks,
> Joebob

> --
> To reply directly, replace the zero in my email address with the letter e.

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Common dialog for folder select
"Roll your own" ActiveX server component (either in VB or VC++/ATL or J++ or Delphi or ...).

It's a pain because then you have to deploy...

--
Michael Harris
MVP Scripting

This would be for systems without Active Desktop.  Is there a way?

Quote:

> On systems with Active Desktop, you can use the BrowseForFolder method of the Shell.Application
> object.

> Search the script repository for BrowseForFolder for examples...

> Win32 Scripting [Clarence Washington]
> http://cwashington.netreach.net
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/repository.asp
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/query.asp
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/main_site/downloads
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/faqs.asp?topic=wmifaq
> http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/faqs.asp?topic=adsifaq

> --
> Michael Harris
> MVP Scripting

> From a script file I want to display a comon dialog type box that lets a user select a directory.
> Whatever directory they select
> will be what the rest of the script works with.

> What would be the simplest way to accomplish this?  I have seen some examples that looked like
> overkill for what I need but I'll try
> whatever works.

> Thanks,
> Joebob

> --
> To reply directly, replace the zero in my email address with the letter e.

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Common dialog for folder select

Can't the Common Dialog control be set to browse just for a folder?  I know
you can use it via WSH with:

    Dim oObject
    Set oObject = CreateObject("MSComDlg.CommonDialog")
    oObject.showopen

I just can't remember the flag values that can be set to configure the
ShowOpen dialog.

--
Patrick Steele
(patrick_at_neovisionsystems_dot_com)

Quote:
> "Roll your own" ActiveX server component (either in VB or VC++/ATL or J++
or Delphi or ...).

> It's a pain because then you have to deploy...

> --
> Michael Harris
> MVP Scripting

Quote:
> This would be for systems without Active Desktop.  Is there a way?

Quote:
> > On systems with Active Desktop, you can use the BrowseForFolder method

of the Shell.Application
Quote:
> > object.

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Common dialog for folder select
The Common Dialog control is a licensed control, but WSH doesn't have any mechanism to provide a
runtime license (like IE has).  So the control always thinks it's in design mode, meaning it works
only on machines with development packages that install the appropriate design time license keys in
the registry...  So depending on your audience, that *may* sufficient...

--
Michael Harris
MVP Scripting

Can't the Common Dialog control be set to browse just for a folder?  I know
you can use it via WSH with:

    Dim oObject
    Set oObject = CreateObject("MSComDlg.CommonDialog")
    oObject.showopen

I just can't remember the flag values that can be set to configure the
ShowOpen dialog.

--
Patrick Steele
(patrick_at_neovisionsystems_dot_com)
http://members.home.net/pjsteele/asp
Microsoft MCP

Quote:
> "Roll your own" ActiveX server component (either in VB or VC++/ATL or J++
or Delphi or ...).

> It's a pain because then you have to deploy...

> --
> Michael Harris
> MVP Scripting

Quote:
> This would be for systems without Active Desktop.  Is there a way?

Quote:
> > On systems with Active Desktop, you can use the BrowseForFolder method

of the Shell.Application
Quote:
> > object.

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Common dialog for folder select

2. common color select dialog

3. common dialogs

4. Common Dialog Control

5. Common Dialog ...

6. Common Dialogs in VBScript

7. using common dialog control

8. Common dialog n VB5

9. VBScript Access to Common Dialog???

10. Common Dialog for Saving

11. Open as Common dialog

12. Common Dialog box in button on_click event