Help wanted with ASP and Registry reads
Author Message
 Help wanted with ASP and Registry reads

I need to write a script the goes into the webserver registry and outputs a
list of subkeys listed within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MyTest/.
For example, the list could be:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MyTest/A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MyTest/B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MyTest/C

The subkeys are constantly being changed, so I need to check this list
everytime my script is run.  I do not need to retrieve values, only the
names of the subkeys (ex. A, B,C).

Once I have the names of the subkeys, I need to output the results to a
presentation layer.  Ex:

I have examined the Stonebroom RegEx component, but it cannot loop through a
registry key.  I really need something similar to the FileSystemObject, but
for the registry.

One idea I had was to export the info into a .reg file and then read that
data into my script.

My questions are:
1.) Which approach should I use, either reading the registry directly or
exporting the data into a text file and using the FileSystemObject to read
it.
2.) If I go the export route, should I run the script from as ASP page, and
call my export script from ASP, or should I write a .wsh executable, and
have it output the results to HTML or some other output like a message box
or even the command line.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Isa

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help wanted with ASP and Registry reads
RegObj.dll does exactly what you need...  You can get it from Clarence's site or if you're a
registered VB owner you can get it from the MS VB download site...

Win32 Scripting [Clarence Washington]
http://cwashington.netreach.net
http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/repository.asp
http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/query.asp
http://cwashington.netreach.net/main_site/downloads
http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/faqs.asp?topic=wmifaq
http://cwashington.netreach.net/script_repository/

--
Michael Harris
MVP Scripting

[...]

Thanks Michael.  The Regobj. dll worked perfectly!  Now I have one more
question . . .

Can I use this .dll to read a registry on a remote machine in the same
domain as my webserver?
If not, is there another way to accomplish remote registry reads where I
need to enumerate subkeys.

Thanks,
Isa

Tue, 01 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help wanted with ASP and Registry reads
I've never tried myself, but it does at least claim to support remote registry access.  There's a
regobj.doc file in the same directory where you installed regobj.dll.  This the only documentation
for this component (it _is_ officially an unsupported component ;-).

--
Michael Harris
MVP Scripting

Thanks Michael.  The Regobj. dll worked perfectly!  Now I have one more
question . . .

Can I use this .dll to read a registry on a remote machine in the same
domain as my webserver?
If not, is there another way to accomplish remote registry reads where I
need to enumerate subkeys.

Thanks,
Isa

Tue, 01 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Read/write registry key using .asp or .hta

2. Reading registry keys in vbscript from ASP page

3. ASP and Read Registry

4. Still struggling with registry reading.....can anyone help?

5. Read Registry Keys and Trees / API Call for Registry access

6. Reading perf data from registry help

7. Newbie needs help in reading installed programs from the registry using RegObj.dll

8. Help with a VBS file to read/write to the Registry

9. Still struggling with registry reading.....can anyone help?

10. Help on how to read/retrieve the IP address of a server from the registry

11. Help on how to read/retrieve the IP address of a server from the Registry

12. Newbie needs helping reading Registry