HTA Files Don't Run Anymore
Author Message
 HTA Files Don't Run Anymore

I believe this is after I upgraded to the latest windows script
host on Windows 2000. Clicking on hta files brings up the process
but the file doesn't run. I have searched for a solution on google
groups and knowledgebase but couldn't find one.

I saw that wsh can't be uninstalled on Windows 2000 because of System
File Protection. Is anyone aware of the solution to this problem? I have
tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. (Maybe part of the problem).

Thanks.

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 11:31:28 GMT
 HTA Files Don't Run Anymore
HTAs have nothing to do with WSH.  Try doing an IE Repair since mshta.exe is part of an IE 5+ install.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> I believe this is after I upgraded to the latest windows script
> host on Windows 2000. Clicking on hta files brings up the process
> but the file doesn't run. I have searched for a solution on google
> groups and knowledgebase but couldn't find one.

> I saw that wsh can't be uninstalled on Windows 2000 because of System
> File Protection. Is anyone aware of the solution to this problem? I have
> tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. (Maybe part of the problem).

> Thanks.

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:55:29 GMT
 HTA Files Don't Run Anymore
My mistake, I was thinking it opened with wscript.exe for some weird
reason though I noted the correct process was mshta.exe "%1" %*.

Thanks, will try that.

Quote:

> HTAs have nothing to do with WSH.  Try doing an IE Repair since mshta.exe is part of an IE 5+ install.

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> > I believe this is after I upgraded to the latest windows script
> > host on Windows 2000. Clicking on hta files brings up the process
> > but the file doesn't run. I have searched for a solution on google
> > groups and knowledgebase but couldn't find one.

> > I saw that wsh can't be uninstalled on Windows 2000 because of System
> > File Protection. Is anyone aware of the solution to this problem? I have
> > tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. (Maybe part of the problem).

> > Thanks.

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:18:42 GMT
 HTA Files Don't Run Anymore
In case anyone else has the sam problem, here is the solution:

1.Run Repair, do a search. With mshta messed up add remove programs
won't work so you have to do:

 rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\[YOUR WINDOWS DIRECTORY]\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

This will tell you the bad files. In my case it was mshta was old.

Reinstall doesn't work, but do it just in case you don't have the old
files. Then, you look in the Windows Update folder and do a "search for
text in file" in that directory for mshta.exe which reveals the correct
cab. Unzip the cab file and copy over mshta.exe. (Kill any old processes
that may be running).

Quote:

> My mistake, I was thinking it opened with wscript.exe for some weird
> reason though I noted the correct process was mshta.exe "%1" %*.

> Thanks, will try that.

> > HTAs have nothing to do with WSH.  Try doing an IE Repair since mshta.exe is part of an IE 5+ install.

> > --
> > Michael Harris
> > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> > --

> > > I believe this is after I upgraded to the latest windows script
> > > host on Windows 2000. Clicking on hta files brings up the process
> > > but the file doesn't run. I have searched for a solution on google
> > > groups and knowledgebase but couldn't find one.

> > > I saw that wsh can't be uninstalled on Windows 2000 because of System
> > > File Protection. Is anyone aware of the solution to this problem? I have
> > > tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. (Maybe part of the problem).

> > > Thanks.

Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:52:07 GMT

1. WshShell.Run don't run WHY ???

2. WScript don't run under Win95 ???

3. Script don't run in Internet Explore

4. Running shortcut don't work on 2000?

5. WScript don't run under Win95 ???

6. wshell.run arguments don't work

7. Functions don't run in server side javascript

8. HTA application won't run Java applet

9. Long running html apps (.hta's)

10. input box doesn't work anymore

11. Can't debug PerlScript with the Script Debugger anymore

12. Scripting HTA's HTA:APPLICATION Navigable property