synchronous logon scripts on XP and other NT clients
Author Message
 synchronous logon scripts on XP and other NT clients

After searching the archives for info on how to run a logon script synchronously on XP (like is typically the case for W9x), I finally ran across this snippet from Alex Angelopoulos in microsoft.public.scripting.wsh, dated March 2002:

Don't know if this is relevant or not  - I may be jumping in at a point waaaaay past where you looked at this - but here's one things that what you say bring to mind: Synchronous vs. asynchronous processing.

The default settings on XP are for "asynchronous" processing of logon scripts; I don't know Win2K's method for certain. Asynchronous logon allows logon while the script is still processing.  NT 4 had a registry key to control this, but it does not appear to work on 2000/XP. There is supposed to be a setting to control this, but I can't find it.

My question: has anybody found the setting?

/Al

Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:11:29 GMT
 synchronous logon scripts on XP and other NT clients

Quote:
> After searching the archives for info on how
> to run a logon script synchronously on XP
> (like is > typically the case for W9x), I finally
> ran across this snippet from Alex Angelopoulos
>  in microsoft.public.scripting.wsh, dated March 2002:
> Don't know if this is relevant or not  - I may be
> jumping in at a point waaaaay past where you
> looked at this - but here's one things that what
> you say bring to mind:
> Synchronous vs.asynchronous processing.
> The default settings on XP are for "asynchronous"
> processing of logon scripts; I don't know
> Win2K's method for certain. Asynchronous logon
> allows logon while the script is still processing.
> NT 4 had a registry key to control this, but it does
> not appear to work on 2000/XP. There is supposed
> to be a setting to control this, but I can't find it.

> My question: has anybody found the setting?

Those?

Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:23:34 GMT
[...]

Yes, if you run gpedit.msc you'll find it in both the user and machine
branches, under Administrative Templates\System\Scripts.

The settings found there are:

  a.. Run logon scripts synchronously
  b.. Run startup scripts asynchronously
  c.. Run startup scripts visible
  d.. Run shutdown scripts visible
  e.. Maximum wait time for Group Policy scripts

The settings are all policies, of course, so you will find them under the
policies key, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System".
The corresponding values are I believe

RunLogonScriptSync
RunStartupScriptSync
HideStartupScripts
HideShutdownScripts
MaxGPOScriptWait

All are DWORD values.

--
Please respond in the newsgroup so everyone may benefit.
 http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com

Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:25:11 GMT
 synchronous logon scripts on XP and other NT clients

Quote:

> > After searching the archives for info on how
> > to run a logon script synchronously on XP
> > (like is > typically the case for W9x), I finally
> > ran across this snippet from Alex Angelopoulos
> >  in microsoft.public.scripting.wsh, dated March 2002:

> > Don't know if this is relevant or not  - I may be
> > jumping in at a point waaaaay past where you
> > looked at this - but here's one things that what
> > you say bring to mind:
> > Synchronous vs.asynchronous processing.

> > The default settings on XP are for "asynchronous"
> > processing of logon scripts; I don't know
> > Win2K's method for certain. Asynchronous logon
> > allows logon while the script is still processing.
> > NT 4 had a registry key to control this, but it does
> > not appear to work on 2000/XP. There is supposed
> > to be a setting to control this, but I can't find it.

> > My question: has anybody found the setting?

> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/141/

> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1085/

> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1086/

> Those?

That would appear to be them! Much thanks - I'll try this out tomorrow.

/Al

Sat, 03 Dec 2005 09:12:08 GMT
 synchronous logon scripts on XP and other NT clients
Thanks Alex. Between your group policy approach and Shenan's registry
suggestion, I am sure we will get what we are looking for.

/Al

[...]

Sat, 03 Dec 2005 09:13:53 GMT

1. Logon Script via GPO tries to load on XP when there is no network connection

2. Logon Scripts for W9x 2K & XP

3. WSH Server based logon scripts in XP?

4. WSH Script in NT Logon Script

5. Automatic logon script - client side

6. Logon Scripts in VB for NT logons

7. Logon Script and NT

8. How do I run a .vbs file a NT logon script

9. Setting Client Time with WSH in logon script

10. Client IP Address in Logon Script

11. Copy printerdrivers and adding printers with wsh2.0 logon script on win95 clients

12. Logon Scripts in Windows NT