Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
Author Message
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web

After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download includes
documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

Enjoy

Andrew

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
Not sure what you mean here?  Do you want to know how to handle events in
WSH and how that is dealt with when you call sleep?  If so then there's good

sleep, a real deep sleep since it won't respond to events when sleeping.

up for events

--

Regards

Andrew Clinick
Windows Script Program Manager
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting

Quote:
> Thanks Andrew.

> I've noted the new WScript.Sleep([timeout]) methods, but was unable to
find any
> event handing/synchronization facilities. Am I missing something? Is there
plans
> to include them in the release?

> Thanks once more.
> --
> Regards,
> Andrew Nosenko,
> Mead & Company

> After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download includes
> documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

> Enjoy

> Andrew

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
Deep sleep?  You got that right.

Here's what you get for the first 10 multiples of 1000

sleep 1000   1 second (1)
sleep 2000   3 seconds (1+2)
sleep 3000   6 seconds (1+2+3)
sleep 4000   10 seconds (1+2+3+4)
sleep 5000   15 seconds (1+2+3+4+5)
sleep 6000   21 seconds (1+2+3+4+5+6)
sleep 7000   28 seconds (fill in the blanks...)
sleep 8000   36 seconds
sleep 9000   45 seconds
sleep 10000  55 seconds

--
Michael Harris

Not sure what you mean here?  Do you want to know how to handle events in
WSH and how that is dealt with when you call sleep?  If so then there's good

sleep, a real deep sleep since it won't respond to events when sleeping.

up for events

--

Regards

Andrew Clinick
Windows Script Program Manager
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting

Quote:
> Thanks Andrew.

> I've noted the new WScript.Sleep([timeout]) methods, but was unable to
find any
> event handing/synchronization facilities. Am I missing something? Is there
plans
> to include them in the release?

> Thanks once more.
> --
> Regards,
> Andrew Nosenko,
> Mead & Company

> After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download includes
> documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

> Enjoy

> Andrew

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
Thanks Andrew.

I've noted the new WScript.Sleep([timeout]) methods, but was unable to find any
event handing/synchronization facilities. Am I missing something? Is there plans
to include them in the release?

Thanks once more.
--
Regards,
Andrew Nosenko,
Mead & Company

After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download includes
documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

Enjoy

Andrew

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
Is the sleep method documented anywhere ? I cant find any reference to it in
the help file.

 Are there any other features not mentioned in the documentation ?

Thanks

John Cook

Quote:
>Thanks Andrew.

>I've noted the new WScript.Sleep([timeout]) methods, but was unable to find
any
>event handing/synchronization facilities. Am I missing something? Is there
plans
>to include them in the release?

>Thanks once more.
>--
>Regards,
>Andrew Nosenko,
>Mead & Company

>After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download includes
>documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

>Enjoy

>Andrew

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
I meant the facility to wait for event, handle it and cancel the pending waiting.
In terms of COM, this would mean to organize a modal dispatching message loop that
could be canceled from inside of incoming call handler. If by chance you have our
ScriptX component installed (http:///www.meadroid.com/scriptx/ScriptX.zip), please
have a look at the attached sample. It launches IE and sits waiting for its
events.

Regards,
-Andrew.

ps. Here is our version of dispatching Sleep:

HRESULT Sleep(
      long period)
{
  DWORD dwStart = GetTickCount();
  for ( ;; ) {
    MSG msg;
    while ( PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE) )
    {
      if ( msg.message == WM_QUIT ) {
        PostQuitMessage(msg.wParam);
        break;
      }
      DispatchMessage(&msg);
    }

    DWORD dwTime = GetTickCount();
    period -= dwTime - dwStart;
    if ( period <= 0 ) break;
    dwStart = dwTime;

    MsgWaitForMultipleObjects(0, NULL, FALSE, period, QS_ALLINPUT);
  }
  return S_OK;

Quote:
}

Not sure what you mean here?  Do you want to know how to handle events in
WSH and how that is dealt with when you call sleep?  If so then there's good

sleep, a real deep sleep since it won't respond to events when sleeping.

up for events

--

Regards

Andrew Clinick
Windows Script Program Manager
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting

begin 666 wshie.vbs
<encoded_portion_removed>

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
If you snoop wscript.exe and/or wshom.ocx with an object browser (I use
VB's), you'll find the Sleep method.  So far I haven't found anything else
that's not documented as far as methods or properties go.

(note: ignore the file protocol ("file:") prefixing - ? anyone know how to
get OE to _not_ assume a double slash always means the file protocol?)

I _did_ discover the file://E:engine  runtime option by using wscript //?
option.  A little experimenting revealed that the valid values for engine
are the same values valid for the language attribute of a <script> tag (that
is, vbs, VBScript, jscript, javascript) and is case insensitive.

This let's you do this:

wscript file://e:vbscript myscript.txt

where myscript.txt contains actual vbscript code...

--
Michael Harris

Quote:
> Is the sleep method documented anywhere ? I cant find any reference to it
in
> the help file.

>  Are there any other features not mentioned in the documentation ?

> Thanks

> John Cook

> >Thanks Andrew.

> >I've noted the new WScript.Sleep([timeout]) methods, but was unable to
find
> any
> >event handing/synchronization facilities. Am I missing something? Is
there
> plans
> >to include them in the release?

> >Thanks once more.
> >--
> >Regards,
> >Andrew Nosenko,
> >Mead & Company

> >After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download
includes
> >documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

> >Enjoy

> >Andrew

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
You know, when I look at this I can't help thinking it's almost human...

He keeps hitting the snooze button (which keeps getting shorter), until he
finally rolls out of bed ;-)

--
Michael Harris

Quote:
> Deep sleep?  You got that right.

> Here's what you get for the first 10 multiples of 1000

> sleep 1000   1 second (1)
> sleep 2000   3 seconds (1+2)
> sleep 3000   6 seconds (1+2+3)
> sleep 4000   10 seconds (1+2+3+4)
> sleep 5000   15 seconds (1+2+3+4+5)
> sleep 6000   21 seconds (1+2+3+4+5+6)
> sleep 7000   28 seconds (fill in the blanks...)
> sleep 8000   36 seconds
> sleep 9000   45 seconds
> sleep 10000  55 seconds

> --
> Michael Harris

> Not sure what you mean here?  Do you want to know how to handle events in
> WSH and how that is dealt with when you call sleep?  If so then there's
good

> sleep, a real deep sleep since it won't respond to events when sleeping.

wake
> up for events

> --

> Regards

> Andrew Clinick
> Windows Script Program Manager
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting

> > Thanks Andrew.

> > I've noted the new WScript.Sleep([timeout]) methods, but was unable to
> find any
> > event handing/synchronization facilities. Am I missing something? Is
there
> plans
> > to include them in the release?

> > Thanks once more.
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Nosenko,
> > Mead & Company

> > After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download
includes
> > documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

> > Enjoy

> > Andrew

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
Andrew,

Is there a "known bug" list for the WSH2 beta 1 that can be made public?
You guys have always been so candid when real bugs have been reported.
Since it _is_ a beta, I assume you want people to report anything they find
that at least appears to be a bug.  It would also save folks the frustration
of trying to get something in the beta to work when it's already known not
to, at least not as expected.

Case in point is the odd Sleep behavior when you use a value greater than
1000.  I say greater than because I tried some tests with values below 1000
and they seem to behave as expected.  The test was to loop 100 times a round
a wscript.sleep nnn, checking the total elapsed time for the loop.  The
total elapsed time consistently came out as 100 times the duration of the
sleep as long as the sleep was less than 1000 milliseconds.

--
Michael Harris

Quote:
> After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download includes
> documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

> Enjoy

> Andrew

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
Good idea.  I'll try and get this sorted next week.  Right now I need a
beer - shipping WSH to Windows 2000 and the web takes it out of you!

--

Regards

Andrew Clinick
Windows Script Program Manager
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting

Quote:
> Andrew,

> Is there a "known bug" list for the WSH2 beta 1 that can be made public?
> You guys have always been so candid when real bugs have been reported.
> Since it _is_ a beta, I assume you want people to report anything they
find
> that at least appears to be a bug.  It would also save folks the
frustration
> of trying to get something in the beta to work when it's already known not
> to, at least not as expected.

> Case in point is the odd Sleep behavior when you use a value greater than
> 1000.  I say greater than because I tried some tests with values below
1000
> and they seem to behave as expected.  The test was to loop 100 times a
round
> a wscript.sleep nnn, checking the total elapsed time for the loop.  The
> total elapsed time consistently came out as 100 times the duration of the
> sleep as long as the sleep was less than 1000 milliseconds.

> --
> Michael Harris

> > After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download
includes
> > documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

> > Enjoy

> > Andrew

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web
Hello Mike,

 I read that in the docs; Found no time and machine to install.
I was wondering about that feature. Would it let us "download"
a script via HTTP from a server??

Thanks,
Manfred

Quote:

>If you snoop wscript.exe and/or wshom.ocx with an object browser (I use
>VB's), you'll find the Sleep method.  So far I haven't found anything else
>that's not documented as far as methods or properties go.

>(note: ignore the file protocol ("file:") prefixing - ? anyone know how to
>get OE to _not_ assume a double slash always means the file protocol?)

>I _did_ discover the file://E:engine  runtime option by using wscript //?
>option.  A little experimenting revealed that the valid values for engine
>are the same values valid for the language attribute of a <script> tag (that
>is, vbs, vbscript, jscript, javascript) and is case insensitive.

>This let's you do this:

>wscript file://e:vbscript myscript.txt

>where myscript.txt contains actual vbscript code...

>--
>Michael Harris

>> Is the sleep method documented anywhere ? I cant find any reference to it
>in
>> the help file.

>>  Are there any other features not mentioned in the documentation ?

>> Thanks

>> John Cook

>> >Thanks Andrew.

>> >I've noted the new WScript.Sleep([timeout]) methods, but was unable to
>find
>> any
>> >event handing/synchronization facilities. Am I missing something? Is
>there
>> plans
>> >to include them in the release?

>> >Thanks once more.
>> >--
>> >Regards,
>> >Andrew Nosenko,
>> >Mead & Company

>> >After a few false starts WSH 2.0 is on our website!  The download
>includes
>> >documentation, samples and of course the new binaries.

>> >Enjoy

>> >Andrew

Wed, 24 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta 1 released to the web

Andrew,

Is there still a chance that one of the WSH 2.0 versions will include general
"access" to open windows?  By that I mean things like:  being able to read the
properties of open applications to see what they are (e.g., is application xxx
running); being able to get some information about the application windows (are
they minimized, maximized or restored and size/position), and controling some or
all of these properties (move a window, minimize or close the application).

I can access these from VBA if I have Word running, for example, but these are
"basic" propertes of the desktop and really should be available without opening
another application or adding an outside .dll.  This is such basic and useful
stuff that you would want to use it to control applications in operation on a
system, but not have to use the applications to provide the services.

Thanks.

Bob

Thu, 25 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Problems Installing Windows Script 5.0 and Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta on Windows NT 4.0

2. Script Encoder Beta 1 Released to the scripting web site

3. Script Encoder Beta 1 Released to the scripting web site

4. Script Encoder Beta 1 Released to the scripting web site

5. Ann: Alintex Script Host Beta (0.97) Released

6. Research: Windows Script Host or Windows Scripting Host

7. Windows Script Host 2.0 Error Code

8. LoginScreen Developers Release 2.0 Beta Now available.

9. Looking for Beta 2.0 release info

10. Windows Script Host 2.0

11. Microsoft Windows Script Host 2.0 by Using Javascripts

12. System Scripting Host Beta 3 (Final Beta) is available for download