Common questions posted?
Author Message
 Common questions posted?

I'm coming up with a summary list of these... Anyone care to comment
on
what I should add?  I basically want to hit the top 10 or so, then
figured I would add them to the resources list.

+How do I run an external program from WSH? (Where problem is one of:
(a) don't know about shell.run
(b) don't know about issues with spaces in command line or file path
(c) need to hide/wait using optional arguments for run
(d) need feedback a la exec command

+Sending keys

+Finding OS/WSH version

+ Where can I find xxx files for download

+What's a decent text editor?

+Undocumented features: escape, etc which are in VBScript as well as
Jscript.

Any additions or comments?

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:46:11 GMT
 Common questions posted?
I'm coming up with a summary list of these... Anyone care to comment
on
what I should add?  I basically want to hit the top 10 or so, then
figured I would add them to the resources list.

+How do I run an external program from WSH? (Where problem is one of:
(a) don't know about shell.run
(b) don't know about issues with spaces in command line or file path
(c) need to hide/wait using optional arguments for run
(d) need feedback a la exec command

+Sending keys

+Finding OS/WSH version

+ Where can I find xxx files for download

+What's a decent text editor?

+Undocumented features: escape, etc which are in VBScript as well as
Jscript.

Any additions or comments?

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:46:24 GMT
 Common questions posted?
Your list looks good :-)

Here are my additions (ranked by priority to a certain degree):

+How to reuse .vbs scripts/share code (and data) between scripts

+How to handle windows based on title

+How to get all running programs/stop a program

+How to enumerate the registry

+How to change screen resolution/wallpaper

+How to read and write to ini-files

+How to set environment variables

+How to reboot/shutdown

+How to sort

+How to find files based on name/extension

--
torgeir

Quote:

> I'm coming up with a summary list of these... Anyone care to comment
> on
> what I should add?  I basically want to hit the top 10 or so, then
> figured I would add them to the resources list.

> +How do I run an external program from WSH? (Where problem is one of:
> (a) don't know about shell.run
> (b) don't know about issues with spaces in command line or file path
> (c) need to hide/wait using optional arguments for run
> (d) need feedback a la exec command

> +Sending keys

> +Finding OS/WSH version

> + Where can I find xxx files for download

> +What's a decent text editor?

> +Undocumented features: escape, etc which are in VBScript as well as
> Jscript.

> Any additions or comments?

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:34:46 GMT
 Common questions posted?
These *are* good...

Coming up soon (Nothing like a day with no work and easy access to
Google).

Quote:
> Your list looks good :-)

> Here are my additions (ranked by priority to a certain degree):

> +How to reuse .vbs scripts/share code (and data) between scripts

> +How to handle windows based on title

> +How to get all running programs/stop a program

> +How to enumerate the registry

> +How to change screen resolution/wallpaper

> +How to read and write to ini-files

> +How to set environment variables

> +How to reboot/shutdown

> +How to sort

> +How to find files based on name/extension

> --
> torgeir

> > I'm coming up with a summary list of these... Anyone care to
comment
> > on
> > what I should add?  I basically want to hit the top 10 or so, then
> > figured I would add them to the resources list.

> > +How do I run an external program from WSH? (Where problem is one
of:
> > (a) don't know about shell.run
> > (b) don't know about issues with spaces in command line or file
path
> > (c) need to hide/wait using optional arguments for run
> > (d) need feedback a la exec command

> > +Sending keys

> > +Finding OS/WSH version

> > + Where can I find xxx files for download

> > +What's a decent text editor?

> > +Undocumented features: escape, etc which are in VBScript as well
as
> > Jscript.

> > Any additions or comments?

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:10:42 GMT
 Common questions posted?
How about adding info on ridicilous but necessary registry hack
to enable Script De{*filter*} (HKCI...\Settings\JITDebug -> 1)?

Branimir

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:51:08 GMT
 Common questions posted?
I don't think the JITDebug setting is needed anymore as of WSH 5.6.

I have it set to 0 on both an NT4 and a Win2K box with WSH 5.6 installed and the //X and //D switches work without it on both...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> How about adding info on ridicilous but necessary registry hack
> to enable Script De{*filter*} (HKCI...\Settings\JITDebug -> 1)?

> Branimir

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:57:01 GMT
 Common questions posted?

To confirm - we fixed that one.

Cheers,
  Mike Whalen
  Windows Script Dev

I don't think the JITDebug setting is needed anymore as of WSH 5.6.

I have it set to 0 on both an NT4 and a Win2K box with WSH 5.6 installed and
the //X and //D switches work without it on both...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> How about adding info on ridicilous but necessary registry hack
> to enable Script De{*filter*} (HKCI...\Settings\JITDebug -> 1)?

> Branimir

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:56:11 GMT
 Common questions posted?
Hi

Forgot one ;-)

+How to add and remove printers.

--
torgeir

Quote:

> OK, here's some rough stuff drawn from Google.  I figure it would be
> decent to pair it up with the "where is it?" material.  Opinions
> welcome; note that I haven't even finished abstracting it, but I would
> still like comments on any egregious oversights/errors.

> Most of this material will look very familiar to some people ;).

> I make no guarantees that I will even touch this after the end of the
> month, but I figure it may serve as a handy periodic posting for a
> while.

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:14:47 GMT
 Common questions posted?

Quote:
> How about adding info on ridicilous but necessary registry hack
> to enable Script De{*filter*} (HKCI...\Settings\JITDebug -> 1)?

> Branimir

The answer for this is "Update to latest version of WSH or set value
of  DWORD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
Script\Settings\JITDebug to 1."

The actual problem that prompts this is best described as - what? I
got the impression from what I saw in prior posts that this was
typically an ASP-debugging related issue.  Is this true?

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:32:29 GMT
 Common questions posted?

Quote:

> The answer for this is "Update to latest version of WSH or set value
> of  DWORD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> Script\Settings\JITDebug to 1."

> The actual problem that prompts this is best described as - what? I
> got the impression from what I saw in prior posts that this was
> typically an ASP-debugging related issue.  Is this true?

Unfortunately with prior versions of WSH (2.0 and script engines 5 and 5.5)
you simply could not run MS script de{*filter*} at all (for stand alone scripts)
without manually creating/setting JITDebug key. And this "little" problem
was coming over and over as Q. in NGs. It took only few short years for MS
to fix this, and when they finally did fix it - they never told us...

Branimir

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:53:54 GMT
 Common questions posted?
aah -

so the question is - "Why can't I run the script de{*filter*} with a
standalone script?".

I thought I was just doiNg something wrong when I tried it back in the
past.

> > The answer for this is "Update to latest version of WSH or set
value
> > of  DWORD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> > Script\Settings\JITDebug to 1."

> > The actual problem that prompts this is best described as - what?
> > got the impression from what I saw in prior posts that this was
> > typically an ASP-debugging related issue.  Is this true?

> Unfortunately with prior versions of WSH (2.0 and script engines 5
and 5.5)
> you simply could not run MS script de{*filter*} at all (for stand alone
scripts)
> without manually creating/setting JITDebug key. And this "little"
problem
> was coming over and over as Q. in NGs. It took only few short years
for MS
> to fix this, and when they finally did fix it - they never told
us...

> Branimir

Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:33:09 GMT
 Common questions posted?

Quote:
> aah -

> so the question is - "Why can't I run the script de{*filter*} with a
> standalone script?".

> I thought I was just doiNg something wrong when I tried it back in the
> past.

I think what would have really helped is to have public database with
known problems and known workarounds (both for broken code and broken
documentation), similarly to what open source community does. Apparently
MS does not want to expose its dirty laundry, nor does it want to commit
itself to promise of cleaning it (fearing for their bottom line?).

Branimir

Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:44:06 GMT

1. Question: common wysiwyg enterface?

2. Post Script "Stamp" Question

3. Post Script question

4. sorry but i dont know where to post this question

5. automatically post question and send email

6. where to post questions on postscript language?

7. Question About Using a Post Script Printer with Windows 95

8. 1st posting - FileSystemObject question

9. Help me (posting question again regarding error generation)

10. a few questions: re POSTing to ASP

11. Tough Form Post Question for the GODS!

12. Ok Another XP Questioned Post