wsh scheduled task versus sql scheduled tasks -performance issue
Author Message
 wsh scheduled task versus sql scheduled tasks -performance issue

Hi,

I have to develop a task that runs at intervals. Basically, it will be
reading and writing to a ms sql server db and sending email, anywhere from
200 to 1000+ emails every week or so.

I can either write this with the wsh, using ado and cdonts.newMail and run
it using the nt scheduler, or I can create a job in sql server that does
this.

I'm really looking for opinions on the performance and usability of these
methods, and suggestions on which one to use, or even a different way of
going about it.

The method that would appeal to me the most is one that will run quick,
conserve system resources, and be robust.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. TIA,

Jason Murray

Wed, 08 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 wsh scheduled task versus sql scheduled tasks -performance issue
You should take a look at an alternative scripting host: System Scripting
Host. It allows for executing scripts in the background and unattended and
provides a rich object model for script and system event management (and a
lot more...). You can get it from C.Washington's site
(http://cwashington.netreach.net/main_site/downloads/default.asp?topic...
) or from http://www.netal.com

The next version (1.5) will be out within the next two weeks. If you are
interested in participating in the beta program, just send me an e-mail.

Franz

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have to develop a task that runs at intervals. Basically, it will be
> reading and writing to a ms sql server db and sending email, anywhere from
> 200 to 1000+ emails every week or so.

> I can either write this with the wsh, using ado and cdonts.newMail and run
> it using the nt scheduler, or I can create a job in sql server that does
> this.

> I'm really looking for opinions on the performance and usability of these
> methods, and suggestions on which one to use, or even a different way of
> going about it.

> The method that would appeal to me the most is one that will run quick,
> conserve system resources, and be robust.

> Any and all suggestions are welcome. TIA,

> Jason Murray

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Setting Username and Passwords for a scheduled task in MS Task Scheduler

2. Setting Username and Passwords for a scheduled task in MS Task Scheduler

3. WSH and Task Schedule

4. WSH script to create scheduled task

5. Scheduling tasks with WSH-VBS

6. WSH and Scheduled task in Win2k

7. WSH scheduled task

8. Type Mismatch when calling VC++ COM+ component from JScript WSH scheduled task

9. WSH failes on CreateObject when run via a Scheduled Task

10. Scripting msdev in a scheduled task?

11. Scheduling vbs tasks