Beginners Question
Author Message
 Beginners Question

Hi  just a {*filter*},

In windows 2000, is there a local directory (not on a server but a stand
alone pc) where windows 2000 automatically checks for scripts on boot up,
these scripts obviously are not assigned via the user profile.  I rememer in
my Win2k course there being one but can't find any reference for it now!

Any help would be appreciated.

PC.

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:16:48 GMT
 Beginners Question
Autoexec.bat runs when the machine boots. I assume you can
launch scripts there using cscript. There is still a
StartUp folder for each user, but programs there run when
the user desktop comes up. I don't know of any other
directories.

Richard

Quote:

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:55:56 GMT
 Beginners Question

Quote:

> Hi  just a {*filter*},

> In windows 2000, is there a local directory (not on a server but a stand
> alone pc) where windows 2000 automatically checks for scripts on boot up,
> these scripts obviously are not assigned via the user profile.

I guess you are talking about
%windir%\SYSTEM32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup

Anyway, it is not good enough to just place the script there. You must set a
local policy and point to the file to get it working. See below how to do it
manually (but I guess you can use group policy from the directory service to set
it also).

From a Google newsgroup search at http://www.*-*-*.com/
:

<qoute>

Subject: Re: Win2k newbie Q: what is the equiv of autoexec.bat?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2000-08-22 10:55:44 PST

Michael's answer is ok for executing a script if a user logs on. If you
really need a script to execute at boot time i.e. without a user logging on,
you need a local policy for your workstation:
(1) Start mmc.exe.
(2) Add/Remove Snap-in on the Console menu.
(3) Add...
(4) Select Group Policy.
(5) Set the focus to your local machine.
(6) Close (two times).
(7) Scripts can be found below Computer\Windows Settings\Scripts\Startup
(double click, Add...).
That's a local policy, you do not need a directory to get it running. Note
you  m u s t  use WSH scripts here: batch file do not run. Looks like some
sort of WSH promotion ;-)

Uwe
</qoute>

--
torgeir

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:13:07 GMT
 Beginners Question

Quote:
> In windows 2000, is there a local directory (not on a server but a stand
> alone pc) where windows 2000 automatically checks for scripts on boot up,
> these scripts obviously are not assigned via the user profile.  I rememer in
> my Win2k course there being one but can't find any reference for it now!

For one, I believe you have this in the wrong newsgroup.

I'm no expert, but I do not believe there is such a directory.  If you were to
connect to a server, than yes.  The directory you may be thinking about could be
the Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder.  Any scripts or shortcuts in there will
be run automatically.  But to have a directory, not bound to any particular
user, filled with scripts to run on the machine will not be advisable as there
would be no means to say which scripts run and in which order.

-Chris

Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:54:22 GMT
 Beginners Question

Quote:

> > In windows 2000, is there a local directory (not on a server but a stand
> > alone pc) where windows 2000 automatically checks for scripts on boot up,
> > these scripts obviously are not assigned via the user profile.  I rememer in
> > my Win2k course there being one but can't find any reference for it now!

> For one, I believe you have this in the wrong newsgroup.

> I'm no expert, but I do not believe there is such a directory.  If you were to
> connect to a server, than yes.  The directory you may be thinking about could be
> the Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder.  Any scripts or shortcuts in there will
> be run automatically.  But to have a directory, not bound to any particular
> user, filled with scripts to run on the machine will not be advisable as there
> would be no means to say which scripts run and in which order.

But there is such a possibility!

For Windows 2000/XP (and the OP has Windows 2000), you can use group policy and set
scripsts to run under boot up (and shutdown/login/logout also if desired).

In this policy, you must set which scripts to run and in which order! The default
folder to place the scripts in is
%windir%\SYSTEM32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup. See my other post in this
thread for more details.

--
torgeir

Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:40:35 GMT

1. Encapsulated PostScript beginner question

2. Beginner question - aligning text

3. Simple Beginner Question About Msgbox

4. Dumb Beginners Question (sorry)

5. Beginner questions

6. Beginners question

7. Beginner question

8. SOLUTION BEGINNER QUESTION MARCIA TURNER

9. Beginner Question

10. UNIX, ksh, and Postscript: Beginner Question

11. PostScript beginner question...

12. VBA - beginners question ?