.wsh and .wsf
Author Message
 .wsh and .wsf

What is the diffs between a .wsh and a.wsf file.

Hi, I am a newbie to scripting, and am reading like mad. My main role is a
NT/2000 Server administrator. I have been given the task to write scripts to
do daily checks on machines and display the output on a web that the bigwigs
can check daily to see that things are running like clockwork. I am totally
new to scripting, and learning WSH, WMI, VBScript, ASP and SQL is a tall
mountain to climb. I am planning the route to the top, and here goes.
1.    VBScript using WMI and WSH to query like the eventviewer for things
like failed logon events, when last rebooted, uptime, Virus software
updated, DriveSpace, % fragmentation and so on (Looking for about 20 or 30
checks)
2.    Run script at 06h00 everyday using the at scheduler.
3.    Output to a SQL2000 DB.
4.    Front end with asp to collect the data from DB

I am e{*filter*}d about this project, but am finding scripting a bit daunting.

Please could I get some guidance from you. I don't want to re invent the
wheel, and could really do with pointers. I have downloaded documentation
from MS on VBScript, WMI, WSH and am going through it. It is not easy
reading considering my lack of scripting background. Have installed WMI SDK
and again, find it daunting. I think I need to be really proficient at
VBScript to understand it all. Do you agree?
Right now I am doing the tutorial from MS on WSH Version 2.0, and don't see
the diffs between a .wsh and a .wsf...

Many thanks,
and again, any help and pointers will be greatly appreciated

Fritz

Sun, 02 May 2004 18:10:04 GMT
 .wsh and .wsf
A .wsh is simply an INI style file that works similar to a shortcut.  You create one by right clicking a .vbs/js/wsf/etc. script file and choose Properties|Script tab.  It lets you specify a timeout for just this script and also allows you to suppress the logo displayed when executed via cscript.exe.  When you execute the .wsh file, the underlying script is executed with the appropriate //T:nn and //NOLOGO switches.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> What is the diffs between a .wsh and a.wsf file.

> Hi, I am a newbie to scripting, and am reading like mad. My main role is a
> NT/2000 Server administrator. I have been given the task to write scripts to
> do daily checks on machines and display the output on a web that the bigwigs
> can check daily to see that things are running like clockwork. I am totally
> new to scripting, and learning WSH, WMI, VBScript, ASP and SQL is a tall
> mountain to climb. I am planning the route to the top, and here goes.
> 1.    VBScript using WMI and WSH to query like the eventviewer for things
> like failed logon events, when last rebooted, uptime, Virus software
> updated, DriveSpace, % fragmentation and so on (Looking for about 20 or 30
> checks)
> 2.    Run script at 06h00 everyday using the at scheduler.
> 3.    Output to a SQL2000 DB.
> 4.    Front end with asp to collect the data from DB

> I am e{*filter*}d about this project, but am finding scripting a bit daunting.

> Please could I get some guidance from you. I don't want to re invent the
> wheel, and could really do with pointers. I have downloaded documentation
> from MS on VBScript, WMI, WSH and am going through it. It is not easy
> reading considering my lack of scripting background. Have installed WMI SDK
> and again, find it daunting. I think I need to be really proficient at
> VBScript to understand it all. Do you agree?
> Right now I am doing the tutorial from MS on WSH Version 2.0, and don't see
> the diffs between a .wsh and a .wsf...

> Many thanks,
> and again, any help and pointers will be greatly appreciated

> Fritz

Mon, 03 May 2004 01:09:48 GMT

1. calling the wsf from the wsf

2. WSF include another WSF

3. .wsf referenced from another .wsf

4. What happen with WSF and DEBUG (WSH 2.0 Final Version)

5. wsh,wsf,js,vbs,wsc -

6. what is the difference between ws, wsf, wsh

7. newbie Q: help w/ windows scripting (.wsf)

8. newbie Q: help w/ windows scripting (.wsf)

9. Using one function among several WSF jobs

10. Debug client-side .JS or .WSF

11. newbie Q: help w/ windows scripting (.wsf)

12. Problem with .wsf file , Scripts won't flow