Scripting documentation
Author Message
 Scripting documentation

After programming in VB for four or five years, I'm trying to get
started using scripting.  I've downloaded a bunch of stuff off of
Microsoft's web site.  I'm a little puzzled by the some of the
documentation.  The VBSdocs and JSdocs directories contain files with
the chi and chm extensions.  I've never seen files with these extensions
before and they aren't a registered file type on my Win 95 PC.  What are
these files?

Also, I don't have Word on my computer, just WordPro 97.  When I try to
open the Whitepaper, WSH_Overview3 LEGAL.doc, I get the message "The
file type that you specified does not match its format." when I try to
open in as a Microsoft Word for Windows 2,6, or 7 file.  Is this a Word
8 document?
--
Please remove what's between Eric and Goforth in my address.

Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Scripting documentation

Quote:
> documentation.  The VBSdocs and JSdocs directories contain files with
> the chi and chm extensions.  I've never seen files with these extensions

These files are for use with HTML Help Workshop.  Download the version
where you downloaded the VBScript docs.  If you scroll down the page a bit
more, you should see the link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting
go to VBScript -> downloads and look for the link stating "Download the
HTML Help Installation and Update package version 1.1a"

Quote:
> open in as a Microsoft Word for Windows 2,6, or 7 file.  Is this a Word
> 8 document?

Possible.  I haven't checked.  You can always download a Word viewer from
the Microsoft site to view the paper, or perhaps Write/Wordpad can view the
file sufficiently for you.

-Chris

Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Scripting documentation
These files are for HTML Help which is installed with IE4.
If you don't want to install IE4 you can get the HTML Help runtime files.
http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/author/htmlhelp/default.asp
Regards,
Ian Morrish
http://wsh.glazier.co.nz WSHFAQ
http://ils.glazier.co.nz (NetMeeting)
http://www.glazier.co.nz
Quote:

>After programming in VB for four or five years, I'm trying to get
>started using scripting.  I've downloaded a bunch of stuff off of
>Microsoft's web site.  I'm a little puzzled by the some of the
>documentation.  The VBSdocs and JSdocs directories contain files with
>the chi and chm extensions.  I've never seen files with these extensions
>before and they aren't a registered file type on my Win 95 PC.  What are
>these files?

>Also, I don't have Word on my computer, just WordPro 97.  When I try to
>open the Whitepaper, WSH_Overview3 LEGAL.doc, I get the message "The
>file type that you specified does not match its format." when I try to
>open in as a Microsoft Word for Windows 2,6, or 7 file.  Is this a Word
>8 document?
>--
>Please remove what's between Eric and Goforth in my address.

Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Scripting documentation

Quote:

> These files are for use with HTML Help Workshop.  Download the version
> where you downloaded the VBScript docs.  If you scroll down the page a bit
> more, you should see the link.

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting
> go to VBScript -> downloads and look for the link stating "Download the
> HTML Help Installation and Update package version 1.1a"

Thanks I'll try that.

Quote:
> > open in as a Microsoft Word for Windows 2,6, or 7 file.  Is this a Word
> > 8 document?

> Possible.  I haven't checked.  You can always download a Word viewer from
> the Microsoft site to view the paper, or perhaps Write/Wordpad can view the
> file sufficiently for you.

I tried Wordpad already as that was the default program associated with
files with a "doc" exension.  I'll try to find a Word viewer.

--
Please remove what's between Eric and Goforth in my address.

Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. J Script documentation

2. Scripting Documentation

3. Scripting documentation

4. Active Scripting Documentation

5. Need VB Script Documentation

6. Scripting documentation

7. Error in Windows Script Documentation

8. Please help me finding documentation for Microsoft Scripting Version 3.1 Binary Host

9. Script Control Documentation

10. What Happened to Script Control Documentation

11. VB script 5.1... DOCUMENTATION

12. Error Running Windows Script 5.6 Documentation