Ann: Showing an Animated Icon/Cursor as a Progress Indicator...
Author Message
 Ann: Showing an Animated Icon/Cursor as a Progress Indicator...

There are some situations where using a progressbar to indicate progress
doesn't work.  One example is where you have no idea about how long the
script will run.  In these situations, it is customary to show a
continuously-running animation, such as an animated icon/cursor (a.k.a., an
"ani" file).  The animation helps to reassure your user that something
useful is going on, and perhaps entertain him or her while waiting for the
script to complete its task...

    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~wshvbs/index.htm

cheers, jw

Fri, 16 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Ann: Showing an Animated Icon/Cursor as a Progress Indicator...

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Ann: Showing an Animated Icon/Cursor as a Progress Indicator...
Yes, like that friendly little hourglass that tips over each time the
virtual sand has made its perpetual trip into the lower half. My users just
love that one :-)

Agreed that a percent complete progress bar is best. Given that you might
not know how to calculate this until after completion, even a transaction
count would, IMHO, be better than an animation that bears no relationship
whatsoever to any progress that is actually being made.

/Al

Quote:
> There are some situations where using a progressbar to indicate progress
> doesn't work.  One example is where you have no idea about how long the
> script will run.  In these situations, it is customary to show a
> continuously-running animation, such as an animated icon/cursor (a.k.a.,
an
> "ani" file).  The animation helps to reassure your user that something
> useful is going on, and perhaps entertain him or her while waiting for the
> script to complete its task...

>     http://home.att.net/~wshvbs/index.htm

> cheers, jw

Fri, 16 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Ann: Showing an Animated Icon/Cursor as a Progress Indicator...

Quote:
> ...even a transaction count would, IMHO, be better than an animation...>
> /Al

Al, you may be on to something here...

Why bother with fancy-schmancy graphics, when all the users ever wanted or
needed is plain and simple lines of text?  In fact, why bother with
"gooey's" at all???

Say Al, have I got a deal for you.  When your next desktop replacement time
rolls around, I've got a warehouse filled to the rafters with
futuristically-designed very-lightly used 3270 terminals (just slightly
dusty).  And, every one conversant in the latest communications technology!
BlueTooth?  Nah, sna/sdlc.  Just the high-tech appliance your text-hungry
users need!  And, I can get them for you at a much more favorable volume
purchase agreement than Dell offers!   Don't delay.  Once the word gets
around that graphics is out, they could go fast.

Wha-da-ya-say?  jw

Sun, 18 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Ann: Showing an Animated Icon/Cursor as a Progress Indicator...

Quote:

> > ...even a transaction count would, IMHO, be better than an animation...>
> > /Al

> Al, you may be on to something here...

> Why bother with fancy-schmancy graphics, when all the users ever wanted or
> needed is plain and simple lines of text?  In fact, why bother with
> "gooey's" at all???

> Say Al, have I got a deal for you.  When your next desktop replacement
time
> rolls around, I've got a warehouse filled to the rafters with
> futuristically-designed very-lightly used 3270 terminals (just slightly
> dusty).  And, every one conversant in the latest communications
technology!
> BlueTooth?  Nah, sna/sdlc.  Just the high-tech appliance your text-hungry
> users need!  And, I can get them for you at a much more favorable volume
> purchase agreement than Dell offers!   Don't delay.  Once the word gets
> around that graphics is out, they could go fast.

> Wha-da-ya-say?  jw

rotfl. Actually Jim, I am way ahead of you here. I finally unloaded a couple
of 3278's that I was forced to purchase years back (along with a remote 3270
controller and a $650/month leased line!). I bought them at $30 each,
unloaded them for free, and it was worth every (lost) penny to do so!

Seriously, I think you took my (admitedly non-leading-edge technology)
comments somewhat out of context. My suggestion was that a transaction count
would be better than "an animation whose progress bore no relationship to
the progress of whatever process was under way". The OP was considering an
animated jpeg instead of a static "please wait..." message (as I recall). He
also had difficulty with the idea of a percent complete progress bar because
it was not possible to accurately calculate either the time or transaction
count to completion. IME, users see the tipping hourglass cursor as an
indication that the machine is locked, not a confirmation that their job is
being processed.

Having said all this I will also state that I have nothing against things
"gooey", except that there are cases where the "gooey" solution may not be
the best. One reason I am interested in scripting is that some
administrative tasks are more effectively done with a script than when done
using the standard "gooey" tools.

/Al

Tue, 20 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Progress indicator

2. Processing or Progress Indicators - POLL

3. Progress indicator - HELP!!!

4. Progress Indicator?

5. Progress indicator

6. using the animated progress bar

7. ann: a wsh Lite Weight Progress Dialog Offer

8. Ann: wsh System Tray Icon Object (ocx)...

9. Custom cursor icon ?

10. Changing mouse cursor icon

11. Showing progress of VB script execution.

12. Show progress bar