W32.Magistr.3991@mm_HELP!
Author Message
 W32.Magistr.3991@mm_HELP!

NIS with windows XP. The ONLY time it says I have it is when synching my PDA
(sony clie320 w/palm 4.0os) When I scan the entire computer it shows no
viruses found. The path shown by Norton when synching I can't find...it goes
to "D:\Documents and Settings\......\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\content IE5\012RG56J\mirror.pf. Norton's site shows what to do with
the virus but assumes the program will find it after scanning. I've done a
hard reset on the pda....same result. Any ideas?

Sat, 08 May 2004 08:44:42 GMT
 W32.Magistr.3991@mm_HELP!
Hi,

First of all the path you have mentioned belongs the IE temp folder and you
can clear / delete the folder "012RG56J" in trouble; you can do this via IE
( tools / internet options / temporary internet files / delete files )
too... The first part of the path (D:\Documents and Settings\......\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\content IE5\) may stay there!

About your PDA, it is better if you use a AntiVirus SW for your PDA which
will be located on PDA and running all the time; NAI-McAfee and Symantec
have solutions for it! In your case, NAV may not be able to clean the PDA
and this is why you have the same alert again and again. By the way, restore
/ rescue and temp utilities of windows may cause the same alert since you
disable or clean the back-up / temp files infected!

Here is some info on the PDA scanners:

Comparing Wireless Anti-Virus Solutions
              McAfee Symantec Trend F-Secure Computer
            Associates
            Platforms
            Supported Palm,
            PocketPC,
            EPOC Palm
            Only Palm,
            PocketPC,
            EPOC EPOC
            and Palm Palm
            Only
            Scan on
            Synchronization Yes No No Yes No
            Scan on Device
            (Palm) On Demand,
            On Access On Demand,
            On Access On Demand
            Only On Demand,
            On Access On Demand
            Only
            Scan on Device
            (PocketPC) No No On Demand
            Only No No
            Scan on Device
            (EPOC) No No On Demand
            Only No No

regards...

Orhan

Quote:
> NIS with windows XP. The ONLY time it says I have it is when synching my
PDA
> (sony clie320 w/palm 4.0os) When I scan the entire computer it shows no
> viruses found. The path shown by Norton when synching I can't find...it
goes
> to "D:\Documents and Settings\......\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files\content IE5\012RG56J\mirror.pf. Norton's site shows what to do with
> the virus but assumes the program will find it after scanning. I've done a
> hard reset on the pda....same result. Any ideas?

Sat, 08 May 2004 17:28:50 GMT
 W32.Magistr.3991@mm_HELP!

Hi again,

since the chart was not in proper with text mode, here you can find it:

Comparing Wirless Anti-Virus Solutions

[...]

By the way,

this variant of Magistr differs in several ways as "add-on"s to the normal Magistr Characteristics  .

- It uses a more complex encryption technique.
- It deletes all .NTZ files on the local machine.
- It terminates the ZoneAlarm firewall user interface process if it is running (not the entire program).
- It creates a SYSTEM.INI [boot]shell value to run itself at startup.
- It uses random file extensions on the executables which it sends (.bat, .com, .exe, .pif)
- It has also been reported to retrieve email addresses from Eudora mailbox files (.MBX), overwrite the WIN.COM/NTLDR file at times, and send .GIF files found on the local machine to others along with itself.

You may clean and restore all the lines including viral codes / orders in there...

Quote:

> NIS with windows XP. The ONLY time it says I have it is when synching my PDA
> (sony clie320 w/palm 4.0os) When I scan the entire computer it shows no
> viruses found. The path shown by Norton when synching I can't find...it goes
> to "D:\Documents and Settings\......\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files\content IE5\012RG56J\mirror.pf. Norton's site shows what to do with
> the virus but assumes the program will find it after scanning. I've done a
> hard reset on the pda....same result. Any ideas?

Sat, 08 May 2004 18:04:56 GMT

1. virus w32.magistr.39921@mm

2. W32 Magistr.39921

3. stars.exe = w32.magistr.24876@mm?

4. w32.Magistr.24876@mm Virus -- NEED HELP!

5. W32.Nimda.A@mm and W32.Nimda.enc

6. Getting rid of Magistr.b @ VBS.LoveLetter virus out of RESTORE directory

7. Win32.Magistr virus problem: NEED HELP!

8. Virus W32.Sobig.C@mm from 3be15be7@news.softvelocity.com

9. For Jeremy Suiter: Received W32.Bugbear virus from you

10. Linux-Oberon graphic problems (ET4000/W32)

11. no subject (should be: problem with w32 regina)

12. NO SUBJECT (should be: Problem with W32 Regina)