Virus or what?
Author Message
 Virus or what?

Hi

My OE5 is doing weird things. When I receive new mail, the sender and
receiver are the same i.e. my email id is there in the properties. A screen
pops up saying that you need to download the Arabic Language Fonts to see
the document properly. Can't view the attachement files, while receiving it
comes but in the OE I cannot see the attachements even under the "clip" sign
column.

After the PC boots and my desktop is opened there is a tab on the start bar
which says Driver Memory Error. But it just comes and goes.

PC Two:
My other computer takes a long time to boot. Secondly it doesn't go to
windows95 at all

Tks/Sony

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:49:21 GMT
 Virus or what?
You need to check your date.
Have you checked your Help: Virus Intrusion post?
--
Ron Sommer
Quote:

> Hi

> My OE5 is doing weird things. When I receive new mail, the sender and
> receiver are the same i.e. my email id is there in the properties. A screen
> pops up saying that you need to download the Arabic Language Fonts to see
> the document properly. Can't view the attachement files, while receiving it
> comes but in the OE I cannot see the attachements even under the "clip" sign
> column.

> After the PC boots and my desktop is opened there is a tab on the start bar
> which says Driver Memory Error. But it just comes and goes.

> PC Two:
> My other computer takes a long time to boot. Secondly it doesn't go to
> windows95 at all

> Tks/Sony

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:42:46 GMT
 Virus or what?
The "Driver Memory Error" is the key - you apparently have the KAK worm on
your system.  Get an antivirus program and get to work.

--

* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.

Quote:
> Hi

> My OE5 is doing weird things. When I receive new mail, the sender and
> receiver are the same i.e. my email id is there in the properties. A
screen
> pops up saying that you need to download the Arabic Language Fonts to see
> the document properly. Can't view the attachement files, while receiving
it
> comes but in the OE I cannot see the attachements even under the "clip"
sign
> column.

> After the PC boots and my desktop is opened there is a tab on the start
bar
> which says Driver Memory Error. But it just comes and goes.

> PC Two:
> My other computer takes a long time to boot. Secondly it doesn't go to
> windows95 at all

> Tks/Sony

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:19:41 GMT
 Virus or what?
ya,  my date is still in a mess and the driver memory error is still there.
Help.

To top all this there is one more virus. Can't view any attachments in the
received mail. Immediately as the mail is received the "From" is converted
to my own address and if there is any attachment I can't view that after the
message is downloaded to OE5. Above doesn't happen when I check my mail from
the ISP site. Which I'm forced to do.

Help, I've lots of important documents on this PC. Other PC is already so
slow that it requires a Registry Backup dose to boot it.

You need to check your date.
Have you checked your Help: Virus Intrusion post?
--
Ron Sommer

Quote:
> Hi

> My OE5 is doing weird things. When I receive new mail, the sender and
> receiver are the same i.e. my email id is there in the properties. A
screen
> pops up saying that you need to download the Arabic Language Fonts to see
> the document properly. Can't view the attachement files, while receiving
it
> comes but in the OE I cannot see the attachements even under the "clip"
sign
> column.

> After the PC boots and my desktop is opened there is a tab on the start
bar
> which says Driver Memory Error. But it just comes and goes.

> PC Two:
> My other computer takes a long time to boot. Secondly it doesn't go to
> windows95 at all

> Tks/Sony

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:07:59 GMT
 Virus or what?
Oranges schrieb:

Quote:

> ya,  my date is still in a mess and the driver memory error is still
> there. Help.

Follow the instructions of the following site to remove the error
message and make your computer immune against infections with "Kak" and
similar malware: http://claymania.com/kak-removal.html

Quote:
> To top all this there is one more virus.

Did you read my first reply to your post? Did you download F-Prot for
DOS (www.complex.is) already? What did it report exactly?

Quote:
> Can't view any attachments in
> the received mail. Immediately as the mail is received the "From" is
> converted to my own address and if there is any attachment I can't
> view that after the message is downloaded to OE5. Above doesn't happen
> when I check my mail from the ISP site. Which I'm forced to do.

> Help, I've lots of important documents on this PC. Other PC is already
> so slow that it requires a Registry Backup dose to boot it.

Use F-Prot to check your computer, then give us more details ...

Regards,
Axel Pettinger

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:52:11 GMT
 Virus or what?
That sounds like the BadTrans virus.  See here for help with that.

Link to BadTrans virus/worm info.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP (Outlook Express)
Please reply to group only.  Email cannot be answered.

> ya,  my date is still in a mess and the driver memory error is still there.
> Help.

> To top all this there is one more virus. Can't view any attachments in the
> received mail. Immediately as the mail is received the "From" is converted
> to my own address and if there is any attachment I can't view that after the
> message is downloaded to OE5. Above doesn't happen when I check my mail from
> the ISP site. Which I'm forced to do.

> Help, I've lots of important documents on this PC. Other PC is already so
> slow that it requires a Registry Backup dose to boot it.

> You need to check your date.
> Have you checked your Help: Virus Intrusion post?
> --
> Ron Sommer

> > Hi

> > My OE5 is doing weird things. When I receive new mail, the sender and
> > receiver are the same i.e. my email id is there in the properties. A
> screen
> > pops up saying that you need to download the Arabic Language Fonts to see
> > the document properly. Can't view the attachement files, while receiving
> it
> > comes but in the OE I cannot see the attachements even under the "clip"
> sign
> > column.

> > After the PC boots and my desktop is opened there is a tab on the start
> bar
> > which says Driver Memory Error. But it just comes and goes.

> > PC Two:
> > My other computer takes a long time to boot. Secondly it doesn't go to
> > windows95 at all

> > Tks/Sony

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:59:39 GMT
 Virus or what?
Hi,

THis what msg I got when I clicked on www.complex.is

Your IP address (203.197.54.16) could not be resolved to a valid hostname.
Please ask your sysadmin to fix this in the DNS and try again.

Awaiting.

Quote:
> Oranges schrieb:

> > ya,  my date is still in a mess and the driver memory error is still
> > there. Help.

> Follow the instructions of the following site to remove the error
> message and make your computer immune against infections with "Kak" and
> similar malware: http://claymania.com/kak-removal.html

> > To top all this there is one more virus.

> Did you read my first reply to your post? Did you download F-Prot for
> DOS (www.complex.is) already? What did it report exactly?

> > Can't view any attachments in
> > the received mail. Immediately as the mail is received the "From" is
> > converted to my own address and if there is any attachment I can't
> > view that after the message is downloaded to OE5. Above doesn't happen
> > when I check my mail from the ISP site. Which I'm forced to do.

> > Help, I've lots of important documents on this PC. Other PC is already
> > so slow that it requires a Registry Backup dose to boot it.

> Use F-Prot to check your computer, then give us more details ...

> Regards,
> Axel Pettinger

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:12:14 GMT
 Virus or what?
 Axel,

I've already done with the Kak instructions and downloaded this patch
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/peropsys/IE/IE-Public/Fixes/usa/Eyedog-fix/x8...
08.exe
Hope this is correct.
I'm still getting the same msg at www.complex.is

Now help me with the second virus.

Awaiting.

Quote:
> Oranges schrieb:

> > ya,  my date is still in a mess and the driver memory error is still
> > there. Help.

> Follow the instructions of the following site to remove the error
> message and make your computer immune against infections with "Kak" and
> similar malware: http://claymania.com/kak-removal.html

> > To top all this there is one more virus.

> Did you read my first reply to your post? Did you download F-Prot for
> DOS (www.complex.is) already? What did it report exactly?

> > Can't view any attachments in
> > the received mail. Immediately as the mail is received the "From" is
> > converted to my own address and if there is any attachment I can't
> > view that after the message is downloaded to OE5. Above doesn't happen
> > when I check my mail from the ISP site. Which I'm forced to do.

> > Help, I've lots of important documents on this PC. Other PC is already
> > so slow that it requires a Registry Backup dose to boot it.

> Use F-Prot to check your computer, then give us more details ...

> Regards,
> Axel Pettinger

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:11:16 GMT
 Virus or what?
Quote:
> > To top all this there is one more virus.

> Did you read my first reply to your post? Did you download F-Prot for
> DOS (www.complex.is) already? What did it report exactly?

I downloaded the fp-309.zip form ftp.nus.edu.sg it asks to Open with. Now
what. using win98

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:32:31 GMT
 Virus or what?
Oranges schrieb:

Quote:

> Hi,

> THis what msg I got when I clicked on www.complex.is

> Your IP address (203.197.54.16) could not be resolved to a valid
> hostname.
> Please ask your sysadmin to fix this in the DNS and try again.

That means that your ISP forgot to add a name for the mentioned IP
address. Tell them they should fix this ...

Regards,
Axel Pettinger

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:57:33 GMT
 Virus or what?
Oranges schrieb:

Quote:

>  Axel,

> I've already done with the Kak instructions and downloaded this patch
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/peropsys/IE/IE-Public/Fixes/usa/Eyedog-fix/x86
> /q240308.exe
> Hope this is correct.
> I'm still getting the same msg at www.complex.is

Of course ..., both things are not related ...

Quote:
> Now help me with the second virus.

What virus do you mean?

Regards,
Axel Pettinger

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:59:41 GMT
 Virus or what?
Oranges schrieb:

Quote:

> > > To top all this there is one more virus.

> > Did you read my first reply to your post? Did you download F-Prot
> > for DOS (www.complex.is) already? What did it report exactly?

> I downloaded the fp-309.zip form ftp.nus.edu.sg it asks to Open with.
> Now what. using win98

fp-309.zip is not the latest version. Download fp-309c.zip from:
ftp://ftp.Europe.F-Secure.com/pub/f-prot/free/ fp-309c.zip

... and the updates from:
ftp://ftp.Europe.F-Secure.com/pub/f-prot/updates/f-prot/ fp-def.zip
ftp://ftp.Europe.F-Secure.com/pub/f-prot/updates/f-prot/dos/ macro.def

If you cannot open ZIP archives, then you could download i.e. the eval
version of WinZip from http://www.winzip.com and install it. Then you
should be able to open ZIP archives.

Extract F-Prot into an empty directory (you could create a new one on
your C drive, and call it "FSI"), then extract the contents of
fp-def.zip into the same directory (overwrite existing files!) and also
move macro.def into the same directory (overwrite again).

Open a DOS window and call F-Prot with the following command, to confirm
press "Enter":
c:\fsi\f-prot  /hard  /disinf  /report=c:\fsi.log

Now F-Prot will scan your hard disks, and in case it finds a virus, then
it will ask you whether the file should be disinfected (press "y") or
not (press "n"). After the check you'll find a report file (FSI.LOG) in
your root directory ("C:"). The you can give us more details ...

The command "c:\fsi\f-prot  /?" (without the "") will show you all the
options you can use with F-Prot.

Good luck!

Regards,
Axel Pettinger

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:20:41 GMT
 Virus or what?

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Virus or what?
Axel

Downloaded the following links

Quote:
> fp-309.zip is not the latest version. Download fp-309c.zip from:
> ftp://ftp.Europe.F-Secure.com/pub/f-prot/free/ fp-309c.zip

> ... and the updates from:
> ftp://ftp.Europe.F-Secure.com/pub/f-prot/updates/f-prot/ fp-def.zip
> ftp://ftp.Europe.F-Secure.com/pub/f-prot/updates/f-prot/dos/ macro.def

Also Downloaded the winzip

Quote:
> If you cannot open ZIP archives, then you could download i.e. the eval
> version of WinZip from http://www.winzip.com and install it. Then you
> should be able to open ZIP archives.

Done this also

Quote:
> Extract F-Prot into an empty directory (you could create a new one on
> your C drive, and call it "FSI"), then extract the contents of
> fp-def.zip into the same directory (overwrite existing files!) and also
> move macro.def into the same directory (overwrite again).

How to do this i.e. open DOS window
Quote:
> Open a DOS window and call F-Prot with the following command, to confirm
> press "Enter":
> c:\fsi\f-prot  /hard  /disinf  /report=c:\fsi.log

> Now F-Prot will scan your hard disks, and in case it finds a virus, then
> it will ask you whether the file should be disinfected (press "y") or
> not (press "n"). After the check you'll find a report file (FSI.LOG) in
> your root directory ("C:"). The you can give us more details ...

> The command "c:\fsi\f-prot  /?" (without the "") will show you all the
> options you can use with F-Prot.

> Good luck!

> Regards,
> Axel Pettinger

Thu, 25 Dec 2003 12:46:20 GMT
 Virus or what?
Start | Programs | MS-DOS Prompt for Win95/98

Start | Programs Accessories for WinMe

--

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE/OE

Please reply in newsgroup.  I don't answer email
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Quote:
> Axel

> How to do this i.e. open DOS window

> > Open a DOS window and call F-Prot with the following command, to confirm
> > press "Enter":
> > c:\fsi\f-prot  /hard  /disinf  /report=c:\fsi.log

> > Now F-Prot will scan your hard disks, and in case it finds a virus, then
> > it will ask you whether the file should be disinfected (press "y") or
> > not (press "n"). After the check you'll find a report file (FSI.LOG) in
> > your root directory ("C:"). The you can give us more details ...

> > The command "c:\fsi\f-prot  /?" (without the "") will show you all the
> > options you can use with F-Prot.

> > Good luck!

> > Regards,
> > Axel Pettinger

Fri, 26 Dec 2003 00:11:07 GMT

1. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

3. bugabear virus and sweetadeline1 w32KlezEremovaltools virus

4. Virus/Test Virus wanted!

5. Help me get rid of this virus post has a virus in the post

6. Are Virus Protection Firms the Virus Coders !!

7. Virus Boot - Boot virus - help

8. Wounding a Virus......more "Fight a Virus with a Virus"

9. Virus Alert - Back on line after e-mail virus.

10. Is this a hoax virus or a real virus??