Common virus extensions
Author Message
 Common virus extensions

could someone please help me and tell me what are the most
common virus extensions?

Fri, 20 May 2005 06:24:44 GMT
 Common virus extensions
Panta,

they are anything that can cause code to be run ... exe com vbs js pif etc

Mike

Quote:
> could someone please help me and tell me what are the most
> common virus extensions?

Fri, 20 May 2005 22:04:53 GMT
 Common virus extensions
Here are the extensions Norton Antivirus considers most at risk, sorted more
or less in general order of frequency.  This list can of course change in
the future.

VERY COMMON:

BAT
COM
EXE
PIF
SCR
LNK
URL
VBS
SHS
WSH

SOMEWHAT LESS COMMON:

DOC
DOT
XLS
XLT
XL?
CPL
EML
HLP
DLL
HTA
HTM
HTML
INF
JS
JSE
PPS
PPT
RTF
BIN
SCT
VB
VBE
WSC
WSF
DRV

NOT SO COMMON:

386
ACM
ACV
ADE
ADP
ADT
AX
BAS
BTM
CLA
CSH
HTT
INI
ISP
JTD
MDP
MP?
MSO
NWS
ODB
OBT
OCX
OV?
PL
PM
POT
SH
SHB
SMM
SYS
VSD
VST
VXD

PS the registry settings below can help prevent viruses by preventing
windows from hiding certain file extensions such as .SHS from you and by
blocking other file extensions from being able to execute automatically.
The lines that start with [-HKEY  represent deleting that registry key.
Putting the lines below into a plain text file using Notepad and saving the
file as filename.REG and double-clicking on the file makes the changes to
your registry.  I've never had problems with these settings, but be cautious
and use at your own risk.

====================

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ADE]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ADP]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.BAS]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.EML]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ISP]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.JS]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.JSE]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.NWS]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.SCR]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.SCT]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.SHB]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.SHS]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.VB]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.VBE]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.VBS]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WSC]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WSF]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WSH]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PIFFile]
"NeverShowExt"=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShellScrap]
"NeverShowExt"=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SHCmdFile]
"NeverShowExt"=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DocShortcut]
"NeverShowExt"=-

Quote:
> Panta,

> they are anything that can cause code to be run ... exe com vbs js pif etc

> Mike

> > could someone please help me and tell me what are the most
> > common virus extensions?

Sat, 21 May 2005 00:40:14 GMT
 Common virus extensions

Thanks very much for that

Quote:

Sat, 21 May 2005 05:52:28 GMT

1. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

2. .com extension in COMMAND -- virus related ?

3. Common-Extensions

4. VRML Extensions common to Cortona4.x and BS Contatact 6.x

5. Common Lisp Extensions (Was: UK lispers mailing list)

6. Common Lisp as an extension language for C programs

8. bugabear virus and sweetadeline1 w32KlezEremovaltools virus

9. Virus/Test Virus wanted!

10. Help me get rid of this virus post has a virus in the post

11. Are Virus Protection Firms the Virus Coders !!

12. Virus Boot - Boot virus - help