New Virus
Author Message
 New Virus

A friend of mine called me today about a virus that a
friend in Bali got, which she says has worked off her
address book and that none of the virus scaners like
McAfee do any good.  My friend has a Macintosh Apple
laptop computer...  I have a Hewitt Packard laptop.
I have found the virus in my C/Windows/System but every
time that I delete it and put it in the trash and dump the
trash. It resurfaces when I check the C file again...
I had also found it in "My Computer" and another file.
So far my computer seems to run alright.  I am not to savy
with computers, What should I do....   The name of the
virus is (jdbgmgr.exe) with a teddy bear attached...
           I would appreciate any assistance.
                       Eric Bryant

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:51:18 GMT
 New Virus

Quote:

> A friend of mine called me today about a virus that a
> friend in Bali got, which she says has worked off her
> address book and that none of the virus scaners like
> McAfee do any good.  My friend has a Macintosh Apple
> laptop computer...  I have a Hewitt Packard laptop.
> I have found the virus in my C/Windows/System but every
> time that I delete it and put it in the trash and dump the
> trash. It resurfaces when I check the C file again...
> I had also found it in "My Computer" and another file.
> So far my computer seems to run alright.  I am not to savy
> with computers, What should I do....   The name of the
> virus is (jdbgmgr.exe) with a teddy bear attached...
>            I would appreciate any assistance.
>                        Eric Bryant

These emails are hoaxes.

If you get an email telling you to delete *anything* off your hard drive cos
it has an undetectable virus, ignore it. It's a hoax. Yes, really. If you
are unsure then either visit newsgroups like this one and ask for advice
before doing anything extreme, or visit an antivirus seller's website and
look around to see if they have details about the claims in an email.

Use a virus scanner instead to determine whether or not something is a hoax.
I know that these letters say that your antivirus scanner will not warn you,
and its true enough that no antivirus scanner is perfect, but really,
remember the people making these scanners may sometimes be a little slow but
there is a massive industry competing with each other for people's money in
antivirus software, and as such the various companies are all doing their
best to do the right thing better than the next company in order to win our
trade. By the time an email like the one you've talking about has gone all
around the houses from person to person the antivirus companies have
certainly had more than enough time to churn out a solution if the threat
was real, or note in their website that the threat is a hoax if that is the
case.

Regards
Rob Moir
Microsoft MVP.

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 04:41:34 GMT
 New Virus
Hi Eric

The virus in question here is actually a hoax.  Do not try to delete the file

: A friend of mine called me today about a virus that a
: friend in Bali got, which she says has worked off her
: address book and that none of the virus scaners like
: McAfee do any good.  My friend has a Macintosh Apple
: laptop computer...  I have a Hewitt Packard laptop.
: I have found the virus in my C/Windows/System but every
: time that I delete it and put it in the trash and dump the
: trash. It resurfaces when I check the C file again...
: I had also found it in "My Computer" and another file.
: So far my computer seems to run alright.  I am not to savy
: with computers, What should I do....   The name of the
: virus is (jdbgmgr.exe) with a teddy bear attached...
:            I would appreciate any assistance.
:                        Eric Bryant

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:49:24 GMT

2. New Virus ?!?

3. New VIRUS (SOS)

4. ALERT! New virus has been very active today

5. NEW VIRUS'

6. New Virus?

7. How do I report a possible new virus ?

8. New virus?

9. Probably some new virus?

10. New virus rearing it's ugly head

11. new virus