unknown virus boot.ini
Author Message
 unknown virus boot.ini

I picked up a virus yesterday which changes my search and
home page.  I have gone through a clean boot and
determined that it is in my boot ini file.  Does anyone
know how I can fix this.

Thanks

Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:40:20 GMT
 unknown virus boot.ini

Quote:

> I picked up a virus yesterday which changes my search and
> home page.  I have gone through a clean boot and
> determined that it is in my boot ini file.  Does anyone
> know how I can fix this.

You can post the text from your boot.ini file  here and let us look at it.
Thats the text as a posting, not an attachment please. It's highly unlikely
that you have a virus in your boot.ini file but if you post the contents of
the file and indicate what lines concern you we can take a look.

Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:55:25 GMT
 unknown virus boot.ini
Well I am not sure if it is in my boot.ini file either
but when I did the clean boot using msconfig command and
diabled everything and reenabled things one at a time -
in my startup - there is a file called bootconf.exe and
it is located in my directory c:\windows\system32

When this startup file is run then the problem occurs.
Can I delete it?

Quote:

Fri, 23 Dec 2005 02:19:18 GMT
 unknown virus boot.ini
seems I have discovered more information.  The culprit is
a web search called "coolwebsearch" and they redirect me
to youfindall.net

does anyone know how I get rid of this.

Quote:

Fri, 23 Dec 2005 03:51:48 GMT
 unknown virus boot.ini

Quote:

> Well I am not sure if it is in my boot.ini file either
> but when I did the clean boot using msconfig command and
> diabled everything and reenabled things one at a time -
> in my startup - there is a file called bootconf.exe and
> it is located in my directory c:\windows\system32

> When this startup file is run then the problem occurs.
> Can I delete it?

ok thats a big difference from boot.ini being infected.

Right you have a nice bit of spyware/browser hijacking software. I think
probably either spybot or adaware might be able to help you. If not, you
might try the forums at www.cexx.org - they are gurus at this sort of thing.
Sorry I can't give you anything more positive just yet.

Rob
MS MVP
http://www.robertmoir.co.uk

Fri, 23 Dec 2005 04:06:41 GMT
 unknown virus boot.ini
Thanks Rob

That is eactly where I went - to - www.cexx.org and found
some answers.

Thanks again for your help.

Quote:

Fri, 23 Dec 2005 04:31:05 GMT

1. Virus Boot - Boot virus - help

2. UNKNOWN VIRUS OR SOMETHIN PLZ HELP

3. Unknown virus?

4. Unknown Virus

5. Virus unknown

6. I just was told of an unknown virus on Outlook stationary

7. Unknown Virus

8. Boot Sector virus detection

9. boot sector virus help

10. boot sector virus

11. keeping virus scan if need to re-boot

12. win 95 boot sector virus removal