Virus which attacks Desktop 
Author Message
 Virus which attacks Desktop

Hi everybody, I'm afraid my computer has been infected by
a virus which has even corrupted McAfee.

I've taken a look at the registry, and the strangest thing is that I've
found
some strange keys under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

There is a lot of keys, such as "Icon Spacing", having negative values.

Is that a symptom of the virus?
Does anybody know what is its name and how to eliminate it?

Aurelio



Sun, 02 May 2004 16:21:28 GMT  
 Virus which attacks Desktop


Quote:

> Hi everybody, I'm afraid my computer has been infected by
> a virus which has even corrupted McAfee.

> I've taken a look at the registry, and the strangest thing is that I've
> found
> some strange keys under:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

> There is a lot of keys, such as "Icon Spacing", having negative values.

> Is that a symptom of the virus?

Nope, I have negative values for my icon spacing and I can assure you I
don't have a virus!

Quote:
> Does anybody know what is its name and how to eliminate it?

Do you have any other reason to think you may have a virus? What symptoms
are you seeing? Why do you think McAfee is corrupted?


Mon, 03 May 2004 04:13:29 GMT  
 Virus which attacks Desktop

Quote:



> > Hi everybody, I'm afraid my computer has been infected by
> > a virus which has even corrupted McAfee.

> > I've taken a look at the registry, and the strangest thing is that I've
> > found
> > some strange keys under:
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

> > There is a lot of keys, such as "Icon Spacing", having negative values.

> > Is that a symptom of the virus?

> Nope, I have negative values for my icon spacing and I can assure you I
> don't have a virus!

> > Does anybody know what is its name and how to eliminate it?

> Do you have any other reason to think you may have a virus? What symptoms
> are you seeing? Why do you think McAfee is corrupted?

Yes, sometimes the icons of my desktop change and sometimes the desktop
becomes white and I have to click "Restore Active Desktop".

Moreover, if I try to execute the SuperDAT update, it gives me an
error, and if I try to create a McAfee emergency diskette, it says
that the disk is full, though it is an empty, new, just formatted 1.44Mb
disk!

Aurelio



Mon, 03 May 2004 18:23:23 GMT  
 Virus which attacks Desktop
Hi,

it looks like your issue is about windows more then a virus; sure it might
have been caused by a virus too...

Would you post more data on your OS and the other symptoms...

 regards...


Quote:




> > > Hi everybody, I'm afraid my computer has been infected by
> > > a virus which has even corrupted McAfee.

> > > I've taken a look at the registry, and the strangest thing is that
I've
> > > found
> > > some strange keys under:
> > > HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

> > > There is a lot of keys, such as "Icon Spacing", having negative
values.

> > > Is that a symptom of the virus?

> > Nope, I have negative values for my icon spacing and I can assure you I
> > don't have a virus!

> > > Does anybody know what is its name and how to eliminate it?

> > Do you have any other reason to think you may have a virus? What
symptoms
> > are you seeing? Why do you think McAfee is corrupted?

> Yes, sometimes the icons of my desktop change and sometimes the desktop
> becomes white and I have to click "Restore Active Desktop".

> Moreover, if I try to execute the SuperDAT update, it gives me an
> error, and if I try to create a McAfee emergency diskette, it says
> that the disk is full, though it is an empty, new, just formatted 1.44Mb
> disk!

> Aurelio



Tue, 04 May 2004 01:17:32 GMT  
 Virus which attacks Desktop


Quote:

> > Do you have any other reason to think you may have a virus? What
symptoms
> > are you seeing? Why do you think McAfee is corrupted?

> Yes, sometimes the icons of my desktop change and sometimes the desktop
> becomes white and I have to click "Restore Active Desktop".

I'm not sure why you think this is a virus. This sounds like a problem with
windows in general. A virus would be somewhere on the bottom of the list of
things likely to cause what you've described so far.

Quote:
> Moreover, if I try to execute the SuperDAT update, it gives me an
> error, and if I try to create a McAfee emergency diskette, it says
> that the disk is full, though it is an empty, new, just formatted 1.44Mb
> disk!

Don't know enough about the current versions of McAfee to comment much about
this except to try a clean re-install of everything and download the
superdat file again and see if that helps.


Tue, 04 May 2004 07:24:26 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Messenger woes, suspicious of virus attack

2. Stopping a virus attack

3. A virus attack my keyboard

4. Internet Virus on the Attack today -- internet slowdows

5. Help needed on suspected virus attack

6. Virus messing with my desktop icons.

7. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

8. just recieved a new virus W32/Bugbear@MM Virus Found

9. bugabear virus and sweetadeline1 w32KlezEremovaltools virus

10. Virus/Test Virus wanted!

11. Help me get rid of this virus post has a virus in the post

12. Are Virus Protection Firms the Virus Coders !!

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software