Nimda on Win2K SP2
Author Message
 Nimda on Win2K SP2

Hi,

I just recently got a new new computer with Win2K installed on it.  But, 3
hrs into setting up IIS 5, I had a Nimda alreadyon my system.  Apparently,
the file Admin.dll was infected and I am not sure whether to delete it or
not.  I was so paranoid of this that I cut all access to the file (deny on
everything) and now Norton can't find it.  Is Admin.dll a made file from the
virus?  Or is it a vital system file?  Please help.  I run a website and
need to give users back the pages.  Thank you very much.  By the way, I
tried using that patch that MS gave out but it didn't work.  It said that
because I had SP2 instead of SP1 I couldn't use it.  Help!  thx!!!

--

- Deryck Henson
- http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:03:37 GMT
 Nimda on Win2K SP2

Hi,

I guess you may visit http://www.norman.com/virus_info/w32_nimda.shtml and
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99209 for a detailed
information of fighting against nimbda !!!

by the way, norton was unable to detect and clean this virus at the first 10
days period ! just quarantined it...

ms patches are MUST to solve this issue !!

Quote:
> Hi,

> I just recently got a new new computer with Win2K installed on it.  But, 3
> hrs into setting up IIS 5, I had a Nimda alreadyon my system.  Apparently,
> the file Admin.dll was infected and I am not sure whether to delete it or
> not.  I was so paranoid of this that I cut all access to the file (deny on
> everything) and now Norton can't find it.  Is Admin.dll a made file from
the
> virus?  Or is it a vital system file?  Please help.  I run a website and
> need to give users back the pages.  Thank you very much.  By the way, I
> tried using that patch that MS gave out but it didn't work.  It said that
> because I had SP2 instead of SP1 I couldn't use it.  Help!  thx!!!

> --

> - Deryck Henson
> - http://www.sourcecodecafe.com

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:03:12 GMT
 Nimda on Win2K SP2

Hi,

I guess you may visit http://www.norman.com/virus_info/w32_nimda.shtml and
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99209 for a detailed
information of fighting against nimbda !!!

by the way, norton was unable to detect and clean this virus at the first 10
days period ! just quarantined it...

ms patches are MUST to solve this issue !!

Quote:
> Hi,

> I just recently got a new new computer with Win2K installed on it.  But, 3
> hrs into setting up IIS 5, I had a Nimda alreadyon my system.  Apparently,
> the file Admin.dll was infected and I am not sure whether to delete it or
> not.  I was so paranoid of this that I cut all access to the file (deny on
> everything) and now Norton can't find it.  Is Admin.dll a made file from
the
> virus?  Or is it a vital system file?  Please help.  I run a website and
> need to give users back the pages.  Thank you very much.  By the way, I
> tried using that patch that MS gave out but it didn't work.  It said that
> because I had SP2 instead of SP1 I couldn't use it.  Help!  thx!!!

> --

> - Deryck Henson
> - http://www.sourcecodecafe.com

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:04:22 GMT
 Nimda on Win2K SP2
3 hours? I surprised it took so long. It often only takes a matter of
seconds. You should *never* expose IIS to the Net until after the patches
have been added. Leave the network cable unpluged until IIS is ready.

--

Phillip Windell (MCP)
Network Administrator

www.wandtv.com

Quote:
> Hi,

> I just recently got a new new computer with Win2K installed on it.  But, 3
> hrs into setting up IIS 5, I had a Nimda alreadyon my system.  Apparently,
> the file Admin.dll was infected and I am not sure whether to delete it or
> not.  I was so paranoid of this that I cut all access to the file (deny on
> everything) and now Norton can't find it.  Is Admin.dll a made file from
the
> virus?  Or is it a vital system file?  Please help.  I run a website and
> need to give users back the pages.  Thank you very much.  By the way, I
> tried using that patch that MS gave out but it didn't work.  It said that
> because I had SP2 instead of SP1 I couldn't use it.  Help!  thx!!!

> --

> - Deryck Henson
> - http://www.sourcecodecafe.com

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:42:00 GMT

1. Clipper 5.3b + Workbench + Blinker 5.1 on Win2K SP2

2. Win32 Nimda.A@mm (dr) and Win32 Nimda.E@mm (dr)

3. W32.Nimda.A@mm and W32.Nimda.enc

4. W32.Nimda.enc

5. NIMDA virus