Recurring W32.HLLW.Hai Virus
Author Message
 Recurring W32.HLLW.Hai Virus

I'm hoping for a little help on this one.  We have Norton installed and it did find this virus.  My problem is I have 10 machines running in our office and only a problem with one.  This virus gets found on this same machine each day.  It came up on this machine on a day the user wasn't even here using the machine.  We do access some files on this machine so it is a shared C drive and unfortunately has to remain so.  Norton keeps finding this virus but what on earth can I do to make it go away and not be trying to reinfect this machine every day?  Anyone have any ideas?  I've written to the virus software company and all they tell me is to follow what's on their web site which I have done more than once and still have this issue.  I'm ready to reformat this machine only because this virus popping up is a nuisance our software finds it daily.  Today I reinstalled win98 thinking it would help solve any problems and an hour later there was the stinking virus again.  It's always found in C:\windows and deleted.

We also got hit with the Nimda virus a week before this virus hit.  I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not.  Nimda pops it's ugly head up every now and then on a machine here or there also.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them!

Thanks in Advance!
Kathy

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:39:34 GMT
 Recurring W32.HLLW.Hai Virus

Hi,

it is better if you visit http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.hai.html for removal instructions you may fallow for win.ini and some more...

you can also look at some reference pages shown as below:

      HLLW.Antiqfx (F-Prot)   W32.HLLW.Bymer
      W32.HLLW.Qaz.A   W95/HLLW.Buffy
      W95/HLLW.MyPics   W95/HLLW.Trit
      Win32.HLLW.AntiQFX (AVP)   Win32.HLLW.Britney.55808 (DrWeb)

      Uruk-hai   Uruk-hai300
      Uruk-hai361   W32/Hai.worm
      W32/Haiku.worm   Win32.Hai (CA

and for Nimda :

http://www.norman.com/virus_info/w32_nimda.shtml

http://vil.nai.com/VIL/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99209

do not forget that it needs more then running an AV SW, you may use recommended / latest patches and SPs either.

good luck !

Orhan

[...]

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:02:01 GMT
 Recurring W32.HLLW.Hai Virus
Empty the "Quarentine". Sometimes it keeps giving the warning if the virus
is still kep there. It isn't supposed to, but I just does.

--

Phillip Windell (MCP)
Network Administrator

www.wandtv.com

[...]

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:37:05 GMT

1. Help!! - W32.HLLW.Logate.G@mm

2. w32.hllw.qaz.a

3. Recurring W32.Nimda.enc

5. Virus W32.Sobig.C@mm from 3be15be7@news.softvelocity.com

6. For Jeremy Suiter: Received W32.Bugbear virus from you

7. Antigen found W32/Ska.A.Worm virus

8. VIRUS WARNING : W32/Sobig.E@mm

9. W32/Pate.b.worm Virus

10. W32.pinfi Virus

11. W32 KLEZ VIRUS REMOVAL FOR WINDOWS XP

12. Virus: W32.Friendgreet.worm