maybe a virus?
Author Message
 maybe a virus?

Hi all,
some months ago, we received an e-mail about a possible virus in the SULFNBK.EXE
file, but later we received another one saying it was not a virus but a normal
windows file.
However, we have noticed the icon in some of our computers is not the normal
window icon but one with black letters (which seems to be LFMGK). The size of
the files is exactly the same, and everything seems to be working ok, so my
questions are:

what's the function of the SULFNBK.EXE file?
anybody knows something about that weird icon?
should we supersede the files by one with normal looking?

Thanks in advance

Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:52:02 GMT
 maybe a virus?
Well, i've already found it was an hoax, and what this file is for, but i still
don't understand the different icons... ??
should i do something about??

thanks

sergio

Sergio ha escrito:

Quote:
> Hi all,
> some months ago, we received an e-mail about a possible virus in the SULFNBK.EXE
> file, but later we received another one saying it was not a virus but a normal
> windows file.
> However, we have noticed the icon in some of our computers is not the normal
> window icon but one with black letters (which seems to be LFMGK). The size of
> the files is exactly the same, and everything seems to be working ok, so my
> questions are:

> what's the function of the SULFNBK.EXE file?
> anybody knows something about that weird icon?
> should we supersede the files by one with normal looking?

> Thanks in advance

Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:00:11 GMT
 maybe a virus?

Hi,

This email message is just a HOAX. Although, the SULFNBK.EXE file may become infected by a number of valid viruses, the details of this HOAX message are not based on actual events.

SULFNBK.EXE is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names.

In general,

  a.. This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names, and like any .exe file, it can be infected by a virus that targets .exe files.

  c.. If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from the C:\Windows\Command folder and want to know how to restore the file:
  How to restore the Sulfnbk.exe file

    If you have deleted this file, restoration is optional. Sulfnbk.exe is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names. It is not needed for normal system operation. If you want to restore it, there is more than one way to do this. See the information that follows.

    NOTE: The instructions in this document are provided for your convenience. The extraction of Windows files uses Microsoft programs and commands. Symantec does not provide warranty support for or assistance with Microsoft products. If you have any questions, please see your Windows documentation or contact Microsoft.

    Windows Me
    If you are using Windows Me, you can restore the file using the System Configuration Utility.
    1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. Type msconfig and then press Enter.
    3. Click Extract Files. The "Extract one file from installation disk" dialog box appears.
    4. In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" box, type the following, and then click Start:

    c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

    NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different location, make the appropriate substitution.

    The Extract File dialog box appears.

    5. Next to the "Restore from" box, click Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows installation files. If they were copied to the hard drive, this is, by default, C:\Windows\Options\Install. You can also insert the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM drive and browse to that location.
    6. Click OK and follow the prompts.

  Windows 98

    If you are using Windows 98, you can restore the file using the System File Checker.
    1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. Type sfc and then press Enter.
    3. Click "Extract one file from installation disk."
    4. In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" box, type the following, and then click Start:

    c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

    NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different location, make the appropriate substitution.

    The Extract File dialog box appears.

    5. Next to the "Restore from" box click Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows installation files. If they were copied to the hard drive, this is, by default, C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. You can also insert the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM drive and browse to that location.
    6. Click OK and follow the prompts.

Windows 95 (or alternative method for Windows 98/Me)

    If you are using Windows 95, you need to use the extract command. This can also be used on Windows 98/Me.

    1. Click Start, point to Find or Search, and then click Files or Folders.
    2. Make sure that "Look in" is set to (C:) and that Include subfolders is checked.
    3. In the "Named" or "Search for..." box, type:

    precopy1

    4. Click Find Now or Search Now. If it does not exist on the hard drive, then insert the Windows installation CD and repeat the search on that drive.
    5. When you find the file, write down the location of Precopy1, for example, C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. This is your Source Path.
    6. The general form of the Extract command is:

    extract <Source Path>\precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

    So if the source path is C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, then the Extract command becomes:

    extract c:\windows\options\cabs\precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

    NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different location, make the appropriate substitution.

    7. Click Start and then click Run.
    8. Type the following, making the appropriate substitutions as previously noted

    extract <Source Path>\precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

    9. Click OK.

For more information on how to use the Microsoft Extract command, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base document, How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files, Article ID: Q129605

Please ignore any messages regarding this hoax and do not pass on messages. Passing on messages about the hoax only serves to further propagate it.

Quote:

> Hi all,
> some months ago, we received an e-mail about a possible virus in the SULFNBK.EXE
> file, but later we received another one saying it was not a virus but a normal
> windows file.
> However, we have noticed the icon in some of our computers is not the normal
> window icon but one with black letters (which seems to be LFMGK). The size of
> the files is exactly the same, and everything seems to be working ok, so my
> questions are:

> what's the function of the SULFNBK.EXE file?
> anybody knows something about that weird icon?
> should we supersede the files by one with normal looking?

> Thanks in advance

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:01:08 GMT
 maybe a virus?
thanks, but what about that weird black icon??...

Sergio

Tue, 04 May 2004 03:13:38 GMT

1. cannot start application - maybe a virus

2. virus maybe???

3. maybe virus trickler_3210.exe

4. Maybe Virus?

5. maybe its a virus help

6. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

8. bugabear virus and sweetadeline1 w32KlezEremovaltools virus

9. Virus/Test Virus wanted!

10. Help me get rid of this virus post has a virus in the post

11. Are Virus Protection Firms the Virus Coders !!

12. Virus Boot - Boot virus - help