w32.Magistr.24876@mm Virus -- NEED HELP!
Author Message
 w32.Magistr.24876@mm Virus -- NEED HELP!

I hope somebody can help me get rid of this virus. I have already updated my
Norton Anti-Virus thru Live Update but this didn't seem to work. I have
total of 47 files infected on folder _RESTORE\ with extension name CPY. I
can't delete or quarantine them. Please help!

--
Manny Pascual
OPTIONS LOGISTICS, INC.

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:22:53 GMT
 w32.Magistr.24876@mm Virus -- NEED HELP!

Hi,
Windows ME utilizes a backup utility that backs up selected files
automatically to the C:\_Restore folder. This means that an infected file
could be stored there as a backup file, and VirusScan will be unable to
delete these files. These instructions explain how to remove the infected
files from the C:\_Restore folder.

Disabling the Restore Utility

1. Right click the My Computer icon on the Desktop.
2. Click on the Performance Tab.
3. Click on the File System button.
4. Click on the Troubleshooting Tab.
5. Put a check mark next to "Disable System Restore".
6. Click the Apply button.
7. Click the Close button.
8. Click the Close button again.
9. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes.
NOTE: The Restore Utility will now be disabled.
10. Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
11. Run a scan with VirusScan to delete all infected files, or browse the
file's located in the C:\_Restore folder and remove the file's.
12. After removing the desired files, restart the computer normally.
NOTE: To re-enable the Restore Utility, follow steps 1-9 and on step 5
remove the check mark next to "Disable System Restore". The infected file's
are removed and the System Restore is once again active.

You can also reach http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99040 and
/ or http://www.norman.com/virus_info/w32_magistr.shtml for more
information.

It is better if you try Norman ( www.norman.com ), NAI / McAfee VirusScan
( www.nai.com ) or AVP ( www.kaspersky.com ) the a powerful alternatives of
virus protection

Good Luck !

Orhan

Quote:
> I hope somebody can help me get rid of this virus. I have already updated
my
> Norton Anti-Virus thru Live Update but this didn't seem to work. I have
> total of 47 files infected on folder _RESTORE\ with extension name CPY. I
> can't delete or quarantine them. Please help!

> --
> Manny Pascual
> OPTIONS LOGISTICS, INC.
> Unit 7, Columbia Airfreight Complex
> 707 N. Aquino Avenue
> Paranaque City 1700
> Philippines
> Tel:   63-2-8315266
> Fax:  63-2-8339592

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:53:18 GMT
 w32.Magistr.24876@mm Virus -- NEED HELP!
Dear Orhan,

That turned out to be effective and I didn't have to delete the files!
Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it.

Manny

Quote:

> Hi,
> Windows ME utilizes a backup utility that backs up selected files
> automatically to the C:\_Restore folder. This means that an infected file
> could be stored there as a backup file, and VirusScan will be unable to
> delete these files. These instructions explain how to remove the infected
> files from the C:\_Restore folder.

> Disabling the Restore Utility

> 1. Right click the My Computer icon on the Desktop.
> 2. Click on the Performance Tab.
> 3. Click on the File System button.
> 4. Click on the Troubleshooting Tab.
> 5. Put a check mark next to "Disable System Restore".
> 6. Click the Apply button.
> 7. Click the Close button.
> 8. Click the Close button again.
> 9. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes.
> NOTE: The Restore Utility will now be disabled.
> 10. Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
> 11. Run a scan with VirusScan to delete all infected files, or browse the
> file's located in the C:\_Restore folder and remove the file's.
> 12. After removing the desired files, restart the computer normally.
> NOTE: To re-enable the Restore Utility, follow steps 1-9 and on step 5
> remove the check mark next to "Disable System Restore". The infected
file's
> are removed and the System Restore is once again active.

> You can also reach http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99040
and
> / or http://www.norman.com/virus_info/w32_magistr.shtml for more
> information.

> It is better if you try Norman ( www.norman.com ), NAI / McAfee VirusScan
> ( www.nai.com ) or AVP ( www.kaspersky.com ) the a powerful alternatives
of
> virus protection

> Good Luck !

> Orhan

> > I hope somebody can help me get rid of this virus. I have already
updated
> my
> > Norton Anti-Virus thru Live Update but this didn't seem to work. I have
> > total of 47 files infected on folder _RESTORE\ with extension name CPY.
> > can't delete or quarantine them. Please help!

> > --
> > Manny Pascual
> > OPTIONS LOGISTICS, INC.
> > Unit 7, Columbia Airfreight Complex
> > 707 N. Aquino Avenue
> > Paranaque City 1700
> > Philippines
> > Tel:   63-2-8315266
> > Fax:  63-2-8339592

Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:33:47 GMT

1. stars.exe = w32.magistr.24876@mm?

2. virus w32.magistr.39921@mm

4. Win32.Magistr virus problem: NEED HELP!

5. Virus W32.Sobig.C@mm from 3be15be7@news.softvelocity.com

6. VIRUS WARNING : W32/Sobig.E@mm

7. How to prevent Virus W32.klez.gen@mm

8. W32/Klez.h@MM virus