Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)
Author Message
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)

Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
taking resoucres.
Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this, or
is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site, even
our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder. After
deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

Using ie6 with win98

Any suggestion?

Theys
Note: Reply address is bogus to protect from spam.

Sun, 16 May 2004 21:27:53 GMT
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)
Hi Theys

I've had similar problem. I had one from some {*filter*} that was
bad. I found an actual directory it created on the disk that I
deleted. That fixed that problem.
Recently I had one fro "dcgirls", a {*filter*} website.
It took over the screen with hundreds of windows. I did a ctrl-
alt-delete and found a web site address it was going to.
Then I did a search of the registry with regedit and I found
dcgirls had put this web address all over the registry.
After deleting all instances of this in the registry that problem
went away.
Since then I downloaded one of those pop-up stopper programs
that seems to work pretty good against this spam. I think the
damage is done when you click on anything in these pop-up
windows, but I'm not sure.

Fred
win98

Quote:
> Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
> windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
> utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
> taking resoucres.
> Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this,
or
> is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site,
even
> our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

> I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder.
After
> deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

> Using ie6 with win98

> Any suggestion?

> Theys
> Note: Reply address is bogus to protect from spam.

Sun, 16 May 2004 21:56:46 GMT
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)
Theys,
Those random windows are called "pop-ups", and yes they are
coming from the website(s).

Close all instances of OE and IE
Control Panel | Internet Options | General tab | Delete Files button
Also select the option: "Delete all offline files"
Then click the "Clear History" button, while you're at it ......
Reset the TIF cache size to 50mb. Click Apply\Ok

To prevent these pop-ups, you'll need a 3rd party program.
AdShield 1.1 is a freeware banner ad, cookie, hit counter, blocker that
improves browser performance and usability by suppressing the download and
display of ad images, pages and popups. Even if you have a fast connection
to the Internet you'll benefit from improved browser window and browser
cache utilization.
http://www.*-*-*.com/
_____________________________
Mike Burgess     Microsoft MVP   XP
Information isn't free if you can't find it!
http://www.*-*-*.com/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
> windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
> utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
> taking resoucres.
> Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this,
or
> is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site,
even
> our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

> I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder.
After
> deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

> Using ie6 with win98

> Any suggestion?

> Theys
> Note: Reply address is bogus to protect from spam.

Sun, 16 May 2004 22:01:09 GMT
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)

Quote:

> Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
> windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
> utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
> taking resoucres.
> Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this, or
> is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site, even
> our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

> I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder. After
> deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

> Using ie6 with win98...

Try this first...
Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ and download AD AWARE.  It will check for
'hidden' programs, and give you the option to remove them.

Sun, 16 May 2004 22:40:43 GMT
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)
Here is one scenario I found in a previous post.

My search page is always changed to ... what ever I try!

The site that keeps popping up as the default start page is
" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; ( could be any site) and I have tried
editing the hkey_current_user in the registry and running the microsoft
internet explorer repair program and the mentioned site just keeps popping
up every time I reset my computer. After I ran the internet explorer repair
client, I restarted and internet explorer opened the page when you first
install ie, where it asks for your location and language, so I thought it
had fixed the problem; however, as soon as I went to the internet options to
change the homepage, the " http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; was still
there and after I restarted again, this page is always my default homepage.

If this sounds familiar then, try these fixes:

Open up c:\windows\system\Msconfig.exe
go to "start up" tab
uncheck the following setting:
OPQFile C:\windows\regedit.exe /s C\windows\system\rad03FA6.tmp (the .tmp
file can have an other name)
If you open up the temp file in your text editor you will see that the
internet address is listed in the file.

Unquote.

Open msconfig and see if you can see anything related to your file.

Also search the registry for the file you will probably find it in a Run or
RunOnce key.

If you have a file named HOSTS (no extension) open it with notepad and see
if the site is referenced in that file.  Is so delete the line and save the
file is you need it for any other reason.
--

Henri Leboeuf
Web page: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~hleboeuf/index.htm

Quote:
> Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
> windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
> utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
> taking resoucres.
> Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this,
or
> is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site,
even
> our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

> I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder.
After
> deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

> Using ie6 with win98

> Any suggestion?

> Theys
> Note: Reply address is bogus to protect from spam.

Sun, 16 May 2004 23:26:19 GMT
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)
Try this:
Ad-Aware: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
(Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

Start-Run-msinfo32
Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
Click Startup Programs
Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
Paste  that information in your message.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser, "Theys Radmann"

Quote:

>Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
>windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
>utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
>taking resoucres.
>Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this, or
>is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site, even
>our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

>I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder. After
>deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

>Using ie6 with win98

>Any suggestion?

>Theys
>Note: Reply address is bogus to protect from spam.

Mon, 17 May 2004 05:14:24 GMT
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)
Hi,
Try cleanup with Zdelete for free. You can find it at www.zdelete.com
It can work like Internet eraser and shredder for sensitive
information. It has integrated Disk Wiper. You can set it to do
cleaning job automatically according scheduler. It allows you to use
Internet without leaving any history or traces on your hard drive.
With this utility you can sweep Temp files and folders(internet and
non-internet), History, Favorites, Internet Cookies, Internet Cache
and more.
Quote:

> Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
> windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
> utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
> taking resoucres.
> Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this, or
> is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site, even
> our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

> I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder. After
> deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

> Using ie6 with win98

> Any suggestion?

> Theys
> Note: Reply address is bogus to protect from spam.

Mon, 17 May 2004 06:58:09 GMT
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)
get and run AdAware from www.lavasoftusa.com
Make sure you get the latest update files also

--
Noel

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Quote:

> Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
> windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
> utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
> taking resoucres.
> Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this, or
> is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site, even
> our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

> I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder. After
> deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

> Using ie6 with win98

> Any suggestion?

> Theys
> Note: Reply address is bogus to protect from spam.

Mon, 17 May 2004 08:07:41 GMT
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)
Hi,

these are very basic scripts and cookies coming from some of the web sites
that you have visited... There are some viruses and Trojans causing the same
situations either.

You may clear-up the history / cookie folders of your IE and windows....

You can use some more secure internet - browsing security options and you
can also disable cookies ( but some web sites may not run  properly )

Quote:
> Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
> windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
> utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
> taking resoucres.
> Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this,
or
> is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site,
even
> our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

> I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder.
After
> deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

> Using ie6 with win98

> Any suggestion?

> Theys
> Note: Reply address is bogus to protect from spam.

Sat, 22 May 2004 00:09:00 GMT
 Browser opens windows with adds and junk (virus?)
Thank you all for your suggestions. If have tried a few of these, and the
problems have almost gone away (I still get the occasional nagging, but much
less so; I am sure I will get to that one and delete it).

Quote:
> Since some time ago, apparently at random, my browser opens new browser
> windows with adds and sites, generally related to on-line {*filter*}s. This is
> utterly obnoxious, apart from cluttering my desk with unwanted stuff and
> taking resoucres.
> Are the sites I am visiting putting some codes in their html to do this,
or
> is this a virus that got stuck in by browser? It happens with any site,
even
> our own company website, msn/hotmail, and other unrelated.

> I discovered a file named  asic_temp.html   in my windows\temp folder.
After
> deleting, the bugging stops for a while, but reappears again.

> Using ie6 with win98

> Any suggestion?

> Theys
> Note: Reply address is bogus to protect from spam.

Mon, 31 May 2004 23:13:55 GMT

1. Open a Web Browser in Windows

2. I want to open a new browser window (but I can't)

3. Opening new browser windows (pt2)

4. Opening new browser windows

5. Adding panes after opening a window?

6. Add a sound to an opening window

7. TCL/TK for Dos/windows and other junk problems working with

8. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

9. Browsers, browsers, browsers

10. Realbasic opens a window without a NewDocument event on opening the application

11. Looking for beta testers of a Browser add-on

12. Add a possiblity to create new directories from within the Tk file browser