Advice on CIH Virus.
Author Message
 Advice on CIH Virus.

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension computer infected with the CIH
virus. I know that if my computer boots up on April 26 and
I am still infected then the virus will destroy my hard
drive. How could an old virus discovered in 1998 infect my
system in 2002? Or it may be possible that my computer is
infected with the .1049 variant of the CIH virus (the one
usually dropped by the Klez.E or Klez.H worm,) which
actually activates on August 2.

I used to have a Packard Bell computer running Windows 98
that was also infected with the virus. The hard drive for
that computer got destroyed on April 26, 2001.

The website www.symantec.com lists instructions for
removing the CIH virus, but the procedure is actually very
difficult because it tells you to scan the system with
Norton AntiVirus 4 times, 3 times on the infected computer
and 1 time on an uninfected computer. I would not not want
to do that, as it will take exactly 5 hours to remove the
virus. Anyone have an easier way to remove the CIH virus?

Sincerely,
Joey.

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:09:51 GMT
 Advice on CIH Virus.

Quote:

symantec would have said so, think yourself lucky 5 hours,
i had one that took me 2 weeks to get rid of.

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:06:05 GMT
 Advice on CIH Virus.
Hmmm should I take time to clean my computer of the virus I know it has or should I let
the HD be destroyed on the payload date.

Another option you have, if you dont want to sit and clean your system is to reformat
your hard drive and reinstall all the programs and data you have on it.

Anyhow I just looked through www.symantec.com at the instructions for removing the
virus -- it mentions 2 scans not 4   I advise that you go back to the web site and read
about the virus and its removal some more.

I also advise you to update your sig files.  Yours are obviously too old to do you any
good if you have had 2 computers come down with this virus

: Hi,
:
[...]

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:47:41 GMT
 Advice on CIH Virus.

Quote:

Old viruses like this are still out there because of
people like you not using antivirus software with the
latest updates.  I haven't gotten a virus in years and
years.  If everyone used antivirus, old viruses like this
would eventually disappear.

An old virus from 1998 can format your hard drive just
like an old version of Word or Windows from 1998 still
works on your computer.

Quote:
> Or it may be possible that my computer is
>infected with the .1049 variant of the CIH virus (the one
>usually dropped by the Klez.E or Klez.H worm,) which
>actually activates on August 2.

If you would install an antivirus program with the latest
updates, this the only way to determine exactly which
variant you've got.  There are free antivirus programs out
there, what's your issue with using AV?

Quote:
>I used to have a Packard Bell computer running Windows 98
>that was also infected with the virus. The hard drive for
>that computer got destroyed on April 26, 2001.

>The website www.symantec.com lists instructions for
>removing the CIH virus, but the procedure is actually
very
>difficult because it tells you to scan the system with
>Norton AntiVirus 4 times, 3 times on the infected
computer
>and 1 time on an uninfected computer. I would not not
want
>to do that, as it will take exactly 5 hours to remove the
>virus. Anyone have an easier way to remove the CIH virus?

Where does it say to do that??  The CIH removal
instructions I see say to use the CIH removal tool and
then scan once.  You sure you're looking in the right
place?

"There are two ways to remove this virus:
1) (Recommended). Run the the CIH removal tool, and then
scan with Norton AntiVirus.
2) Reboot from a Rescue Disk or from a bootable CD-ROM
drive using the Norton AntiVirus 2001/2002 CD."

There's no faster way to remove a virus than to use
antivirus. I recommend Norton as you can set it to
download updates every day automatically.  www.grisoft.com
is free.  For more information, see:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#virus
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#firewall

Sun, 01 May 2005 02:13:21 GMT

1. w95.cih virus

2. Help CIH virus

3. CIH Virus

4. PLease Help : CIH Virus

5. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

6. Off topic: CIH

7. CIH AND DATA RECOVERY

8. Off topic: CIH - Data recovery possible

9. CIH author's being prosecuted!

10. win95.cih on windows ME

11. W95.cih help !!