BugBear virus
Author Message
 BugBear virus

BugBear Virus

I have been warned that the file JDBGMGR.EXE is part of
the BugBear virus.
It appears to be present in the cabinet file
Win98_45.CAB.
This appears to be a WinZip file contaiing the above file
which cannot be deleted.  If it is copied or extracted, it
shows a "Bear" icon and can then be deleted, but the
original still exists in the Cabinet file.
Running the Norton fix FXBGBEAR.EXE indicates that BugBear
does not exist on any of my drives but I have been
informed that Norton cannot cure this EXE file.
Does anyone have concrete information as to whether it is
harmful or how to remove it?

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:43:02 GMT
 BugBear virus

Quote:

> BugBear Virus

> I have been warned that the file JDBGMGR.EXE is part of
> the BugBear virus.

The warnings are wrong, its a hoax.

Quote:
> It appears to be present in the cabinet file
> Win98_45.CAB.

Thats because its a legitimate part of the operating system.

Quote:
> This appears to be a WinZip file contaiing the above file
> which cannot be deleted.  If it is copied or extracted, it
> shows a "Bear" icon and can then be deleted, but the
> original still exists in the Cabinet file.

Which is a good thing because you may need the file in that cab archive to
replace any copies you deleted from the hard disk.

Quote:
> Running the Norton fix FXBGBEAR.EXE indicates that BugBear
> does not exist on any of my drives but I have been
> informed that Norton cannot cure this EXE file.

If only you'd searched their website for the name of the file in question
you'd have seen that the reason it cannot cure that exe file is because its
not infected at all.

Quote:
> Does anyone have concrete information as to whether it is
> harmful or how to remove it?

Just about any antivirus website will be able to tell you about this, I'm
somewhat surprised you managed to get around enough of the norton site to
download their bugbear fix without seeing their notes on this hoax actually.

You could try www.vmyths.com for more information.

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:27:40 GMT
 BugBear virus
This is an old hoax.  It's a perfectly legitimate system
file.  Do not remove it.  I recall reading about it some
time ago and forget exactly what it's for.  I do recall,
though, that it's one of those files that's never needed
by most of us, so if you have already removed it, don't
worry about.  If you're concerned, you can always retrieve
another copy of it from the CAB file.  CAB files are there
so you don't need to constantly access your original
Windows CD ROM.

Bill

Quote:

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:00:49 GMT

1. BugBear Virus: IP Cleariong House

2. For Jeremy Suiter: Received W32.Bugbear virus from you

3. bugbear virus hoax

4. BugBear Virus/ISDN Configuration Wizard

6. help to delete w32/bugbear and trjan virus

7. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

8. Worm/Bugbear

9. Bugbear & printer queues

10. Bugbear and Hooker

11. WORM BUGBEAR.1 IS GONE AND GOOD RIDDANCE

12. BUGBEAR.1 - How annoying this is