Nimda and Mcafee
Author Message
 Nimda and Mcafee

Unfortunately I have found that the NIMDA virus keeps reinfecting all
machines on our network. McAfee will only detect it when you run a scan and
scna all files it will not stop it from being written to a share or from
running the infected .eml files. It lets users reinfect the machine wihtout
saying a word or doing anything to stop them. Just wondering if any other
Mcafee users have had this problem.

James Dornan MCSE

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 02:04:37 GMT
 Nimda and Mcafee

Hi,

I guess you may visit http://www.norman.com/virus_info/w32_nimda.shtml and
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99209 for a detailed
information of fighting against nimbda !!!

ms patches are MUST to solve this issue !!

Quote:
> Unfortunately I have found that the NIMDA virus keeps reinfecting all
> machines on our network. McAfee will only detect it when you run a scan
and
> scna all files it will not stop it from being written to a share or from
> running the infected .eml files. It lets users reinfect the machine
wihtout
> saying a word or doing anything to stop them. Just wondering if any other
> Mcafee users have had this problem.

> James Dornan MCSE

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:38:09 GMT
 Nimda and Mcafee
James,

Quote:
> Unfortunately I have found that the NIMDA virus keeps reinfecting all
> machines on our network. McAfee will only detect it when you run a scan
and
> scna all files it will not stop it from being written to a share or from
> running the infected .eml files. It lets users reinfect the machine
wihtout
> saying a word or doing anything to stop them. Just wondering if any other
> Mcafee users have had this problem.

I think you need to check the configuration of you VShield; on the two
systems I run McAfee (business laptop and home desktop) McAfee stops the EML
files when hitting infected websites just fine.
Also, the writing of a file to disk through a share should be stopped
without issues.  You also might want to consider your security setup if
anybody can just write to anybodies share ...

Regards,
    Marc

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:01:45 GMT
 Nimda and Mcafee
well Im not sure what to check I have 300 users running vshield with EPO
remote managemtn agent to push out the newest dats every day and make sure
that vshield is running.  As far as being able to write to public shares we
have group drives that everyone needs acess to I cant really remove write
access to them. I have contacted mcafee and they cannot solve the problem so
next week we are pulling vshield and switching to trend products. thanks for
the help?

Quote:
> James,

> > Unfortunately I have found that the NIMDA virus keeps reinfecting all
> > machines on our network. McAfee will only detect it when you run a scan
> and
> > scna all files it will not stop it from being written to a share or from
> > running the infected .eml files. It lets users reinfect the machine
> wihtout
> > saying a word or doing anything to stop them. Just wondering if any
other
> > Mcafee users have had this problem.

> I think you need to check the configuration of you VShield; on the two
> systems I run McAfee (business laptop and home desktop) McAfee stops the
EML
> files when hitting infected websites just fine.
> Also, the writing of a file to disk through a share should be stopped
> without issues.  You also might want to consider your security setup if
> anybody can just write to anybodies share ...

> Regards,
>     Marc

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:07:42 GMT

1. Win32 Nimda.A@mm (dr) and Win32 Nimda.E@mm (dr)