Outlook removing access to unsafe attachments
Author Message
 Outlook removing access to unsafe attachments

Quote:

> Since installing XP SP1, I am getting a number of messages
> indicating that "Outlook Express has removed access to
> unsafe attachments in your mail",

> I never got this before and they are from known sources.
> These atttachments are pictures with extensions EML and
> JPG so far.

> Is this a problem in XP SP1?

Further to lappy's reply, which I'd agree with, remember that a "known
trusted" source is one you would not expect to ***deliberately*** send you a
virus or trojan. No guarantees as to what could happen by accident. If you
open every single thing you get sent just because you recognise the name it
came from you will have problems sooner or later :-(

Regards
Rob Moir
Microsoft MVP.

Thu, 05 May 2005 19:44:16 GMT
 Outlook removing access to unsafe attachments
Personally .....Besides the "read only in Text" option That Option in OE6 is
also very usefull!! ..and I would leave it activated always...You can always
deactivate it temporaraily If you are absolutely certain the attachment you
have been sent is safe....and provided you scan it before opening
it.....then when done... reactivate the option again.

For me that option is a Gods Send.as I am not the only person who uses this
computer..and I am often away for a week at a time.....so while I am away I
know that other members of the family (some who ...depite my warnings will
click on anything that moves!!)...will not have access to possible
malware..at least until my return

Mind you.... it frustrates the Hell out of my daughters when they cant clik
on "ThisisSoFunny.EXE"..but hey who has to spend the best part of a weekend
trying to get things up and running again when the PC goes down with a
virus?..you guessed it !!...ME
Cheers
RVC

Quote:

> > Since installing XP SP1, I am getting a number of messages
> > indicating that "Outlook Express has removed access to
> > unsafe attachments in your mail",

> > I never got this before and they are from known sources.
> > These atttachments are pictures with extensions EML and
> > JPG so far.

> > Is this a problem in XP SP1?

> Further to lappy's reply, which I'd agree with, remember that a "known
> trusted" source is one you would not expect to ***deliberately*** send you
> virus or trojan. No guarantees as to what could happen by accident. If you
> open every single thing you get sent just because you recognise the name
it
> came from you will have problems sooner or later :-(

> Regards
> Rob Moir
> Microsoft MVP.

Fri, 06 May 2005 16:51:07 GMT
 Outlook removing access to unsafe attachments

Quote:

>> .If as indicated, eml is associated with virus is jpg
> also? That means all jpg files will be "removed" also?
> I know these attachments were coming and, after being give
> the OE message, I ran them against the latest update of
> Norton A/V which found nothing. Further comments would be
> appreciated>

I'm surprised it excludes .jpg files to be honest, but as you can probably
guessed I'd rather it erred on the side of overcaution. Originally i also
wondered if these could have been viruses using the "double extension" trick
(e.g. picture.jpg.vbs, for example, where the .vbs on the end is hidden to
trick people into thinking an executable is really a picture) but it doesn't
sound like its the case with your mail here if you've scanned it ok.

Sat, 07 May 2005 02:04:21 GMT
 Outlook removing access to unsafe attachments

Quote:

Sat, 07 May 2005 00:26:29 GMT
 Outlook removing access to unsafe attachments
the following link will tell you how to fix this
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm

Quote:

> >> .If as indicated, eml is associated with virus is jpg
> > also? That means all jpg files will be "removed" also?
> > I know these attachments were coming and, after being give
> > the OE message, I ran them against the latest update of
> > Norton A/V which found nothing. Further comments would be
> > appreciated>

> I'm surprised it excludes .jpg files to be honest, but as you can probably
> guessed I'd rather it erred on the side of overcaution. Originally i also
> wondered if these could have been viruses using the "double extension"
trick
> (e.g. picture.jpg.vbs, for example, where the .vbs on the end is hidden to
> trick people into thinking an executable is really a picture) but it
doesn't
> sound like its the case with your mail here if you've scanned it ok.

Sat, 07 May 2005 12:25:22 GMT
 Outlook removing access to unsafe attachments

Quote:

> the following link will tell you how to fix this
> http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm

Nearly. The link you offer talks about Outlook; the original poster about
Outlook Express. Despite the similar names they are totally different
products which don't share a common codebase; so hacks built for one won't
run correctly with the other.

Regards
Rob Moir
MS MVP

Mon, 09 May 2005 01:45:42 GMT

1. oe removing access to unsafe attachments

2. oe removing access to unsafe attachments

3. OE Removing Access to Attachments

4. OE Removing Access to Attachments

5. unsafe attachments

6. 'Unsafe attachment'

7. create unsafe slave from unsafe master

8. RASQLB - Access to Novell data server without attachment.

9. SourceForge ate my attachments! - 1 attachment

10. Accessing Outlook via COM

11. Accessing Outlook via COM on remote machine

12. How to access Outlook contacts