'Q' re: What is MS doing..
Author Message
 'Q' re: What is MS doing..

Curious... The original thread caught my attention..
Please note I am simply a home user with a small home network- (No
Administrator/ or any departments of that kind..)

I keep up as follows: I regularly visit Microsoft's website for Windows
Updates and download/install anything critical, etc.. I'm also notified by
MS when there are updates (both Win98 and WinMe)..

On a daily basis I check/update InoculateIT's DAT file...

I also check as best I can what's emailed- deleting the obvious unknown
spam, and downloading only when I expect a file from an associate.
.
The last time we got 'hit' was years ago...(Wazzu)- (Fast learner, and
lucky- although it's amazing- I still get the 'Dwarf's email every month or
so...)

Am I  taking the basic right steps??? Am I going to the right MS sites to
check for updates???

As always, thanks for your expert advice!

--
B'rgds,
Vinnie

Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:22:42 GMT
 'Q' re: What is MS doing..
Hi,

I guess you may visit http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=98873
for detailed "Dwarf" info and how to fight against it!

Your issue figures that:

1- Your AntiVirus scanner does not work properly
2- Sure some one else  ( the one sent you that e-mail ) has been infected
and sent them to all
3- You can use a filter for this e-mail

good luck...

Quote:
> Curious... The original thread caught my attention..
> Please note I am simply a home user with a small home network- (No
> Administrator/ or any departments of that kind..)

> I keep up as follows: I regularly visit Microsoft's website for Windows
> Updates and download/install anything critical, etc.. I'm also notified by
> MS when there are updates (both Win98 and WinMe)..

> On a daily basis I check/update InoculateIT's DAT file...

> I also check as best I can what's emailed- deleting the obvious unknown
> spam, and downloading only when I expect a file from an associate.
> .
> The last time we got 'hit' was years ago...(Wazzu)- (Fast learner, and
> lucky- although it's amazing- I still get the 'Dwarf's email every month
or
> so...)

> Am I  taking the basic right steps??? Am I going to the right MS sites to
> check for updates???

> As always, thanks for your expert advice!

> --
> B'rgds,
> Vinnie

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:02:43 GMT
 'Q' re: What is MS doing..

Quote:
> Am I  taking the basic right steps??? Am I going to the right MS sites to
> check for updates???

Your doing just fine.  If everyone followed this, life would be much better.

--

Phillip Windell (MCP)
Network Administrator

www.wandtv.com

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 05:02:06 GMT
 'Q' re: What is MS doing..
Whoa.. Orphan.. that link tells me I'm getting the emails from others - from
Newsgroups???!!  Plus- you think my AV program may not be working.. I need
to understand/digest this.... Orphan, am I in trouble here???

--
B'rgds,
Vinnie

Quote:
> Hi,

> I guess you may visit

http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=98873
Quote:
> for detailed "Dwarf" info and how to fight against it!

> Your issue figures that:

> 1- Your AntiVirus scanner does not work properly
> 2- Sure some one else  ( the one sent you that e-mail ) has been infected
> and sent them to all
> 3- You can use a filter for this e-mail

> good luck...

> > Curious... The original thread caught my attention..
> > Please note I am simply a home user with a small home network- (No
> > Administrator/ or any departments of that kind..)

> > I keep up as follows: I regularly visit Microsoft's website for Windows
> > Updates and download/install anything critical, etc.. I'm also notified
by
> > MS when there are updates (both Win98 and WinMe)..

> > On a daily basis I check/update InoculateIT's DAT file...

> > I also check as best I can what's emailed- deleting the obvious unknown
> > spam, and downloading only when I expect a file from an associate.
> > .
> > The last time we got 'hit' was years ago...(Wazzu)- (Fast learner, and
> > lucky- although it's amazing- I still get the 'Dwarf's email every month
> or
> > so...)

> > Am I  taking the basic right steps??? Am I going to the right MS sites
> > check for updates???

> > As always, thanks for your expert advice!

> > --
> > B'rgds,
> > Vinnie

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:03:49 GMT
 'Q' re: What is MS doing..
sorry but yes you are in trouble...

you may choose and use your AV SW properly and up-to date all the time...
viruses will always be near !

Quote:
> Whoa.. Orphan.. that link tells me I'm getting the emails from others -
from
> Newsgroups???!!  Plus- you think my AV program may not be working.. I need
> to understand/digest this.... Orphan, am I in trouble here???

> --
> B'rgds,
> Vinnie

> > Hi,

> > I guess you may visit
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=98873
> > for detailed "Dwarf" info and how to fight against it!

> > Your issue figures that:

> > 1- Your AntiVirus scanner does not work properly
> > 2- Sure some one else  ( the one sent you that e-mail ) has been
infected
> > and sent them to all
> > 3- You can use a filter for this e-mail

> > good luck...

> > > Curious... The original thread caught my attention..
> > > Please note I am simply a home user with a small home network- (No
> > > Administrator/ or any departments of that kind..)

> > > I keep up as follows: I regularly visit Microsoft's website for
Windows
> > > Updates and download/install anything critical, etc.. I'm also
notified
> by
> > > MS when there are updates (both Win98 and WinMe)..

> > > On a daily basis I check/update InoculateIT's DAT file...

> > > I also check as best I can what's emailed- deleting the obvious
unknown
> > > spam, and downloading only when I expect a file from an associate.
> > > .
> > > The last time we got 'hit' was years ago...(Wazzu)- (Fast learner, and
> > > lucky- although it's amazing- I still get the 'Dwarf's email every
month
> > or
> > > so...)

> > > Am I  taking the basic right steps??? Am I going to the right MS sites
> > > check for updates???

> > > As always, thanks for your expert advice!

> > > --
> > > B'rgds,
> > > Vinnie

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 01:04:44 GMT
 'Q' re: What is MS doing..
er...
His name is "Orhan" not "Orphan"

Quote:
> sorry but yes you are in trouble...

> you may choose and use your AV SW properly and up-to date all the time...
> viruses will always be near !

> > Whoa.. Orphan.. that link tells me I'm getting the emails from others -
> from
> > Newsgroups???!!  Plus- you think my AV program may not be working.. I
need
> > to understand/digest this.... Orphan, am I in trouble here???

> > --
> > B'rgds,
> > Vinnie

> > > Hi,

> > > I guess you may visit
> > http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=98873
> > > for detailed "Dwarf" info and how to fight against it!

> > > Your issue figures that:

> > > 1- Your AntiVirus scanner does not work properly
> > > 2- Sure some one else  ( the one sent you that e-mail ) has been
> infected
> > > and sent them to all
> > > 3- You can use a filter for this e-mail

> > > good luck...

> Windows
> notified
> > by

> unknown
> month
> > > or

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:57:21 GMT
 'Q' re: What is MS doing..
Sorry about that.. realized it after I hit 'post'... sorry Orhan...

--
B'rgds,
Vinnie

Quote:
> er...
> His name is "Orhan" not "Orphan"

> > sorry but yes you are in trouble...

> > you may choose and use your AV SW properly and up-to date all the
time...
> > viruses will always be near !

> > > Whoa.. Orphan.. that link tells me I'm getting the emails from
others -
> > from
> > > Newsgroups???!!  Plus- you think my AV program may not be working.. I
> need
> > > to understand/digest this.... Orphan, am I in trouble here???

> > > --
> > > B'rgds,
> > > Vinnie

> > > http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=98873

> > infected

> > Windows
> > notified
> > > by

> > unknown
> and
> > month

> sites

Sat, 01 May 2004 20:09:52 GMT

1. Qs re 'Write & 'Read

2. errors when doing 'make test'

3. Have you ever done 'namespace delete ::'?

4. Newbie Qs: startup time, Module.constants, chdir, Ruby distro's library

5. 'who am i' from unix

6. A2P, keep getting an error message 'EMX not found'. What am I doing wrong?

7. can't call MS Powerstation 4.0a DLL from MS VB 5 Pro

8. MS Excel 'Comment' Interface

9. stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

10. Wanted: Hints'n'Tips'n'Bits'n'Bobs

11. How's Your online business doing?