command line virus scanning
Author Message
 command line virus scanning

hello

we use net associates NetShield 4.5 on our servers
we have a need to check files for virus programmatically
without using scan32.exe as it puts a window on the desktop
how do we set scan.exe to use the latest dat files?

does anyone have a script that calls the latest scan engine with
the latest dat files using a command line?

i can write an exe to get the versions from the registry
is that necessary?

cheers
neil

ps feel free to reply direct if you are not confident that your method is a
hundred percent and dont want to be poked fun at in this forum

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:38:23 GMT
 command line virus scanning
Hi Neil,

the command prompt uses the same dat set incl. extra Dat if installed as the
gui version.
This means you can use the normal update process. (when starting scan it
will show DAT Version)
You can also use the GUI Version with following parameter /UINON, it's
decribed in the admin guide of NS 4.5.
This will start scan32 without UI (User Interface)
But I recommend using the command line scanner, it's quicker and it will not
utilize the CPU as much as the GUI Version. Also the GUI Version will not
scan a Zip within a ZIP or an ARJ. The command line will scan up to 8
instances of an archive in an archive.

Cheers
Jo

Quote:
> hello

> we use net associates NetShield 4.5 on our servers
> we have a need to check files for virus programmatically
> without using scan32.exe as it puts a window on the desktop
> how do we set scan.exe to use the latest dat files?

> does anyone have a script that calls the latest scan engine with
> the latest dat files using a command line?

> i can write an exe to get the versions from the registry
> is that necessary?

> cheers
> neil

> ps feel free to reply direct if you are not confident that your method is
> hundred percent and dont want to be poked fun at in this forum

Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:48:20 GMT
 command line virus scanning
paul asked

Quote:
> How do you know that scan.exe isn't using the latest dat files?

answer
i dont -- this was a prophylactic message

i was just a bit suspicious of network associates (experience)
and of non 32 bit exe's (more experience of 16 bit apps)
i am also new to the commandline version
and not familiar with the scanner architecture

thanks for replying
cheers
neil

Quote:

> felt it essential to add to the discussion:

> >hello

> >we use net associates NetShield 4.5 on our servers
> >we have a need to check files for virus programmatically
> >without using scan32.exe as it puts a window on the desktop
> >how do we set scan.exe to use the latest dat files?

> >does anyone have a script that calls the latest scan engine with
> >the latest dat files using a command line?

> All the scanners they provide should use the dat files that reside in
> the root of their directory (usually C:\Program Files\Network
> Associates\NetShield\).

Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:54:11 GMT
 command line virus scanning
excellent
we are using it for scanning files off a pda and it is uncharted territory
for us
thanks
neil

Quote:
> Hi Neil,

> the command prompt uses the same dat set incl. extra Dat if installed as
the
> gui version.
> This means you can use the normal update process. (when starting scan it
> will show DAT Version)
> You can also use the GUI Version with following parameter /UINON, it's
> decribed in the admin guide of NS 4.5.
> This will start scan32 without UI (User Interface)
> But I recommend using the command line scanner, it's quicker and it will
not
> utilize the CPU as much as the GUI Version. Also the GUI Version will not
> scan a Zip within a ZIP or an ARJ. The command line will scan up to 8
> instances of an archive in an archive.

> Cheers
> Jo

> > hello

> > we use net associates NetShield 4.5 on our servers
> > we have a need to check files for virus programmatically
> > without using scan32.exe as it puts a window on the desktop
> > how do we set scan.exe to use the latest dat files?

> > does anyone have a script that calls the latest scan engine with
> > the latest dat files using a command line?

> > i can write an exe to get the versions from the registry
> > is that necessary?

> > cheers
> > neil

> > ps feel free to reply direct if you are not confident that your method
is
> > hundred percent and dont want to be poked fun at in this forum

Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:56:50 GMT
 command line virus scanning
Hi,

it looks you have no idea or experience with NAI support and updates -
upgrades...

such as SDAT4126.EXE ( the latest one ) you can get Updates ( as DAT files )
and upgrades ( as ScanEngine - Version ) together from NAI regularly /
weekly. So, you may have the latest DAT and ScanEngine at the time you run
this EXE in your system !

At the consol of NetShield / Help / About or at the tray icon with left
click of mouse / about you can see the Version, Dat, ScanEngine information
on the system...

You can always get the latest versions as installable from www.NAI.com
Download Updates section.

There you can  get the CMD Scanner ( Command Line Scanner ) either. But if
you will use it as CMD, it is better to update it with the latest DAT file
( as a simple replace of the DAT files ) CMDs also have a support of AVERT
in NAI.

You may also use the SPs and Patches if available at the same area.

For PDAs, NAI offers VirusScan Wireless v.1.0.0. !! You can use it on the
PDAs.

Regards..

Orhan

Quote:
> hello

> we use net associates NetShield 4.5 on our servers
> we have a need to check files for virus programmatically
> without using scan32.exe as it puts a window on the desktop
> how do we set scan.exe to use the latest dat files?

> does anyone have a script that calls the latest scan engine with
> the latest dat files using a command line?

> i can write an exe to get the versions from the registry
> is that necessary?

> cheers
> neil

> ps feel free to reply direct if you are not confident that your method is
> hundred percent and dont want to be poked fun at in this forum

Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:56:20 GMT

1. Clipper 87 & Mcafee virus Scan

2. what virus scan software I have to use for windows 2000 advanced server

3. VIRUS SCANNING DATABASE

4. uninstalling of McAfee Virus Scan

5. Mcafee virus scan online and signature error

6. virus scan

7. Can't update Mcafee Virus Scan

8. e anthology virus scan

9. Saving MicroSoft Updates for Virus Scan Prior to Installation

10. keeping virus scan if need to re-boot

11. McAfee Virus Scan 6.0

12. some virus scan functions do not work