Computer hit with NYB virus (not this one)
Author Message
 Computer hit with NYB virus (not this one)

I have another computer (Sony PCV-220) that got corrupted by the NYB virus.
I can get the computer to run Windows, but only in the "safe mode." Being in
safe mode, I cannot run my CD ROM to to do a virus disinfect, or connect to the
Internet.
 I'm wondering if there is a floppy disk virus scanner that I could install at
the MS DOS prompt, and clean the virus out from there?
 Shoot, I'll take a brand name, store name, anything you can advise me on.
I have Norton on this computer, but the disk is a CD. Need a floppy I think, I
mean, can I fix this NYB virus from DOS?
Thanks for your time,
Dave

Sun, 02 May 2004 13:57:12 GMT
 Computer hit with NYB virus (not this one)

Quote:
> I have another computer (Sony PCV-220) that got corrupted by the NYB
virus.
> I can get the computer to run Windows, but only in the "safe mode." Being
in
> safe mode, I cannot run my CD ROM to to do a virus disinfect, or connect
to the
> Internet.
>  I'm wondering if there is a floppy disk virus scanner that I could
install at
> the MS DOS prompt, and clean the virus out from there?
>  Shoot, I'll take a brand name, store name, anything you can advise me on.
> I have Norton on this computer, but the disk is a CD. Need a floppy I
think, I
> mean, can I fix this NYB virus from DOS?

Try downloading nimdanuke.zip from ftp://www.lutonsfc.ac.uk - its a package
I put together using f-prot for dos that is designed to go onto two DOS
bootable floppy disks and deal with situations like this (well obviously I
was thinking of nimda at the time but it should work for this too).

You could also get an updated f-prot for dos from the company who makes it -
www.complex.is - which might be a good idea anyway if you like f-prot and
want to play with it some more.

Robert Moir, Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP
To search the MS Knowledge base use the link below:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp?PSL=1
My Homepage - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
** Emailed questions will not be answered **

Mon, 03 May 2004 04:17:28 GMT
 Computer hit with NYB virus (not this one)
If you have an old windows start up disk like for 95 or 98 that has your cd
rom drivers on it you could boot up on that and then use an antivirus
software like Norton which will allow you to scan the harddrive without
having windows loaded up.

Quote:
> I have another computer (Sony PCV-220) that got corrupted by the NYB
virus.
> I can get the computer to run Windows, but only in the "safe mode." Being
in
> safe mode, I cannot run my CD ROM to to do a virus disinfect, or connect
to the
> Internet.
>  I'm wondering if there is a floppy disk virus scanner that I could
install at
> the MS DOS prompt, and clean the virus out from there?
>  Shoot, I'll take a brand name, store name, anything you can advise me on.
> I have Norton on this computer, but the disk is a CD. Need a floppy I
think, I
> mean, can I fix this NYB virus from DOS?
> Thanks for your time,
> Dave

Mon, 03 May 2004 05:17:17 GMT
 Computer hit with NYB virus (not this one)
yes, you may need a fdd boot scanner and you may also try the steps below:

Windows 95/98:
Note for Windows 9x systems - during the boot process a Windows95 created
boot disk will access the hard drive for information. Because of this an
image of the virus may be in memory but not active.
To remove the virus, follow the following steps:
- If you use the McAfee emergency disk, hit F8 at the starting Windows 95
message, and select Step-by-step Configuration. Say yes to everything except
processing the autoexec.bat file.
- At the a:, type
BOOTSCAN C: /BOOT /CLEAN /NOMEM

Windows NT/2000:
Shut down the PC and turn the power off. Obtain or create a virus free boot
disk and scan disk. After booting, at the A:\ prompt, execute the following
command:
BOOTSCAN C: /boot /clean

Once the virus has been removed, remove all floppy diskettes from the
computer and reboot from the hard drive.

This will also clean an NTFS Master Boot Record and allow Windows NT to
successfully reboot from the hard disk drive. VirusScan for DOS will not be
able to read the rest of the NTFS partition. After starting Windows, execute
VirusScan or NetShield to detect and clean Windows NT file infections which
may exist.

Quote:
> I have another computer (Sony PCV-220) that got corrupted by the NYB
virus.
> I can get the computer to run Windows, but only in the "safe mode." Being
in
> safe mode, I cannot run my CD ROM to to do a virus disinfect, or connect
to the
> Internet.
>  I'm wondering if there is a floppy disk virus scanner that I could
install at
> the MS DOS prompt, and clean the virus out from there?
>  Shoot, I'll take a brand name, store name, anything you can advise me on.
> I have Norton on this computer, but the disk is a CD. Need a floppy I
think, I
> mean, can I fix this NYB virus from DOS?
> Thanks for your time,
> Dave

Tue, 04 May 2004 01:28:20 GMT

1. nyb virus how do i get it out HELP HELP

2. loop not working on one computer...

3. Got hit by a virus.....

4. One Character from Keyboard w/o hitting Enter?

5. ITS NOT A VIRUS, ITS A 404 ERROR, FILE NOT FOUND

6. ITS NOT A VIRUS, ITS A 404 ERROR, FILE NOT FOUND

7. One proc does not wait until one another finished

8. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

9. my computer has a virus

10. Is purchased version bound to one computer?

11. Dynamic Pool Limit on one computer

12. Two computer with one POS printer, Printer error at the same time printing