ms mESSAGE WITH ATTACHED FILE SAYS SECURITY FIX - IS THIS A HOAX/VIRUS OR WHAT?
Author Message
 ms mESSAGE WITH ATTACHED FILE SAYS SECURITY FIX - IS THIS A HOAX/VIRUS OR WHAT?

This is a known virus.  Do not run the attachment.  Also, you may want to
either update your Nortons or get a better AV.  The link below will give you
information on the virus.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Steve Sprague, MCP
eAegis: Security Through Information
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> I got the following message today that purports to be from
> Microsoft. It
> does not trigger as a virus, ON nORTON, but seems odd.
> Perhaps you would be so kind as
> to evaluate the attachment.  It seems odd because I am not
> aware of
> Microsoft E-mailing out fixes such as this. Also, The
> attached Q216309 does
> not seem to be in Microsoft's support file base, and while
> the MS02-005 does
> refer to an existing series of security updates, but they
> refer a user to
> search results that do not mention the Q216309
> file.......here are the
> search results. Search results:
>  MS02-005: Patch Is Available for the GetObject()
> Scripting Function
> Vulnerability (Q317726)
>  A vulnerability in Internet Explorer exists that could
> allow an attacker to
> view files on the computer of another user. The
> vulnerability could be
> exploited by using either of two scenarios. An attacker
> could send a
> specially formatted HTML

>  MS02-005: Patch Is Available for the Application
> Invocation via
> Content-Type Field Vulnerability (Q317727)
>  A vulnerability exists in Internet Explorer that could
> allow an attacker to
> use a Web page to start one of the programs that is
> installed on a user's
> computer, in conjunction with a file that the attacker
> supplied. In the
> worst case, this c

>  BUG: Latest Security Patch (Q316059) Crashes Internet
> Explorer When You
> Call execScript (Q318426)
>  When you call

>  MS02-005: Patch Is Available for a New Variant of
> the "Frame Domain
> Verification" Vulnerability (Q317729)
>  A new variant of the "Frame Domain Verification"
> vulnerability that was
> originally discussed in the following Microsoft Security
> Bulletin has been
> discovered:

> THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS:

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:14:50 GMT

1. virus in security message purporting to be from MS

2. alleged latest security updates. VIRUS attached

3. virus from ms-security website disabled Norton Antivirus

4. Virus in attached files

5. Virus in attached files

6. Sending SMTP message from Tcl with attached HTML file using MIME

7. Programmatically Attaching Files to MS Excha

8. Hoax AOL Virus

9. Virus hoaxes

10. EMAIL VIRUS HOAXES

11. Fw: Major Virus Warning -- Is a Hoax

12. Hoax virus - how do I recover?