CIH Virus
Author Message
 CIH Virus

Spec: AMD Athlon 550Mhz, 512mb SDRAM, 20Gb HD (4Gb Free) , Win 98 ed2

2 Months ago, my computer was hit by the CIH virus, which after consulting
this group, i managed to clear before the Warhead triggered on 26 April.
However, the virus did spread itself across my system, and my virus-checking
was continually trying to erradicate it from .exe file after .exe file.  I
am now positive this virus has gone from my system, although the damage it
caused by infecting .exe files has caused the following noticeable
problems: -

1. General Performance has decreased
2. Particular programs (namely Outlook Express 5 + Netmeeting) now take
about 5 minutes !! to load.
3. Installing certain software, and Windows system update (on restart) seems
a lot slower.
4.  The rate of movement of the mouse is affected when even simple programs
are loaded
5. I have tried End Tasking all Applications and still the problem remains
6. I have also tried turning off all Virus Real-Time Checks.
7. Defragmenting my Hard drive took 13 hours this week. (previous defrag
dec. '00)
8. My internet connection screen takes a long time to retrieve the Saved
Username and Password

As i said, the main application victims i have noticed so far are Outlook
Express and Netmeeting, I have tried reinstalling them over the top but it
did not do anything. I do not particularly want to uninstall Outlook Express
as I have a lot of information saved in it, and it will also affect my
primary business contacts program MS Outlook 2000 (MS Outlook and all the
other MS Office2000 Pro applications do not seem to have been affected.)

Does anyone recognise this reaction to CIH and can anyone offer me some
advice.

Thank you

Keith

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:10:17 GMT
 CIH Virus

Hi,

I wonder if you have been visited
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=10300 for CIH issue ?

Since you have been facing these much troubles, it looks the best way is
backing up the data on your HDD and have a format on it.

Quote:
> Spec: AMD Athlon 550Mhz, 512mb SDRAM, 20Gb HD (4Gb Free) , Win 98 ed2

> 2 Months ago, my computer was hit by the CIH virus, which after consulting
> this group, i managed to clear before the Warhead triggered on 26 April.
> However, the virus did spread itself across my system, and my
virus-checking
> was continually trying to erradicate it from .exe file after .exe file.  I
> am now positive this virus has gone from my system, although the damage it
> caused by infecting .exe files has caused the following noticeable
> problems: -

> 1. General Performance has decreased
> 2. Particular programs (namely Outlook Express 5 + Netmeeting) now take
> about 5 minutes !! to load.
> 3. Installing certain software, and Windows system update (on restart)
seems
> a lot slower.
> 4.  The rate of movement of the mouse is affected when even simple
programs
> are loaded
> 5. I have tried End Tasking all Applications and still the problem remains
> 6. I have also tried turning off all Virus Real-Time Checks.
> 7. Defragmenting my Hard drive took 13 hours this week. (previous defrag
> dec. '00)
> 8. My internet connection screen takes a long time to retrieve the Saved
> Username and Password

> As i said, the main application victims i have noticed so far are Outlook
> Express and Netmeeting, I have tried reinstalling them over the top but it
> did not do anything. I do not particularly want to uninstall Outlook
Express
> as I have a lot of information saved in it, and it will also affect my
> primary business contacts program MS Outlook 2000 (MS Outlook and all the
> other MS Office2000 Pro applications do not seem to have been affected.)

> Does anyone recognise this reaction to CIH and can anyone offer me some
> advice.

> Thank you

> Keith

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:56:34 GMT
 CIH Virus
I seem to have sorted out the problems, so i thought id post my resolution
here just incase anyone wants it for future ref.

its quite simple really.. i used Win98 System File Checker and restored off
my Win98 CD about 10 exe and dll files that it found were corrupted.

Everythings racing again.

Thanks to all anyways

Quote:

> Hi,

> I wonder if you have been visited
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=10300 for CIH issue ?

> Since you have been facing these much troubles, it looks the best way is
> backing up the data on your HDD and have a format on it.

> > Spec: AMD Athlon 550Mhz, 512mb SDRAM, 20Gb HD (4Gb Free) , Win 98 ed2

> > 2 Months ago, my computer was hit by the CIH virus, which after
consulting
> > this group, i managed to clear before the Warhead triggered on 26 April.
> > However, the virus did spread itself across my system, and my
> virus-checking
> > was continually trying to erradicate it from .exe file after .exe file.
> > am now positive this virus has gone from my system, although the damage
it
> > caused by infecting .exe files has caused the following noticeable
> > problems: -

> > 1. General Performance has decreased
> > 2. Particular programs (namely Outlook Express 5 + Netmeeting) now take
> > about 5 minutes !! to load.
> > 3. Installing certain software, and Windows system update (on restart)
> seems
> > a lot slower.
> > 4.  The rate of movement of the mouse is affected when even simple
> programs
> > are loaded
> > 5. I have tried End Tasking all Applications and still the problem
remains
> > 6. I have also tried turning off all Virus Real-Time Checks.
> > 7. Defragmenting my Hard drive took 13 hours this week. (previous defrag
> > dec. '00)
> > 8. My internet connection screen takes a long time to retrieve the Saved
> > Username and Password

> > As i said, the main application victims i have noticed so far are
Outlook
> > Express and Netmeeting, I have tried reinstalling them over the top but
it
> > did not do anything. I do not particularly want to uninstall Outlook
> Express
> > as I have a lot of information saved in it, and it will also affect my
> > primary business contacts program MS Outlook 2000 (MS Outlook and all
the
> > other MS Office2000 Pro applications do not seem to have been affected.)

> > Does anyone recognise this reaction to CIH and can anyone offer me some
> > advice.

> > Thank you

> > Keith

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:27:57 GMT
 CIH Virus

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 CIH Virus

Quote:
> Spec: AMD Athlon 550Mhz, 512mb SDRAM, 20Gb HD (4Gb Free) , Win 98 ed2

> 2 Months ago, my computer was hit by the CIH virus, which after consulting
> this group, i managed to clear before the Warhead triggered on 26 April.
> However, the virus did spread itself across my system, and my
virus-checking
> was continually trying to erradicate it from .exe file after .exe file.  I
> am now positive this virus has gone from my system, although the damage it
> caused by infecting .exe files has caused the following noticeable
> problems: -

> 1. General Performance has decreased
> 2. Particular programs (namely Outlook Express 5 + Netmeeting) now take
> about 5 minutes !! to load.
> 3. Installing certain software, and Windows system update (on restart)
seems
> a lot slower.
> 4.  The rate of movement of the mouse is affected when even simple
programs
> are loaded
> 5. I have tried End Tasking all Applications and still the problem remains
> 6. I have also tried turning off all Virus Real-Time Checks.
> 7. Defragmenting my Hard drive took 13 hours this week. (previous defrag
> dec. '00)
> 8. My internet connection screen takes a long time to retrieve the Saved
> Username and Password

> As i said, the main application victims i have noticed so far are Outlook
> Express and Netmeeting, I have tried reinstalling them over the top but it
> did not do anything. I do not particularly want to uninstall Outlook
Express
> as I have a lot of information saved in it, and it will also affect my
> primary business contacts program MS Outlook 2000 (MS Outlook and all the
> other MS Office2000 Pro applications do not seem to have been affected.)

> Does anyone recognise this reaction to CIH and can anyone offer me some
> advice.

> Thank you

> Keith

>I think that CIH virus does not cause the symptoms that you described.
>I was never infected by CIH virus, but i think that probably it infects

only the >BIOS program in the motherboard's memory.

>I think that almost the totality of anti-virus programs can remove CIH from
>your computer.
>Alessandro

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:12:38 GMT
 CIH Virus

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 CIH Virus
I just got hit by this virus and spent some time cleaning my system.  I am
experiencing the same results you are.  Everything is slow.  It sometimes
takes 5-10 seconds just to tab on a web page.
However, I don't have an answer, but I am also looking.  If I find anything,
I will post it here.

michael

Quote:

> > Spec: AMD Athlon 550Mhz, 512mb SDRAM, 20Gb HD (4Gb Free) , Win 98 ed2

> > 2 Months ago, my computer was hit by the CIH virus, which after
consulting
> > this group, i managed to clear before the Warhead triggered on 26 April.
> > However, the virus did spread itself across my system, and my
> virus-checking
> > was continually trying to erradicate it from .exe file after .exe file.
> > am now positive this virus has gone from my system, although the damage
it
> > caused by infecting .exe files has caused the following noticeable
> > problems: -

> > 1. General Performance has decreased
> > 2. Particular programs (namely Outlook Express 5 + Netmeeting) now take
> > about 5 minutes !! to load.
> > 3. Installing certain software, and Windows system update (on restart)
> seems
> > a lot slower.
> > 4.  The rate of movement of the mouse is affected when even simple
> programs
> > are loaded
> > 5. I have tried End Tasking all Applications and still the problem
remains
> > 6. I have also tried turning off all Virus Real-Time Checks.
> > 7. Defragmenting my Hard drive took 13 hours this week. (previous defrag
> > dec. '00)
> > 8. My internet connection screen takes a long time to retrieve the Saved
> > Username and Password

> > As i said, the main application victims i have noticed so far are
Outlook
> > Express and Netmeeting, I have tried reinstalling them over the top but
it
> > did not do anything. I do not particularly want to uninstall Outlook
> Express
> > as I have a lot of information saved in it, and it will also affect my
> > primary business contacts program MS Outlook 2000 (MS Outlook and all
the
> > other MS Office2000 Pro applications do not seem to have been affected.)

> > Does anyone recognise this reaction to CIH and can anyone offer me some
> > advice.

> > Thank you

> > Keith

> >I think that CIH virus does not cause the symptoms that you described.
> >I was never infected by CIH virus, but i think that probably it infects
> only the >BIOS program in the motherboard's memory.
> >I think that almost the totality of anti-virus programs can remove CIH
from
> >your computer.
> >Alessandro

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 02:13:56 GMT
 CIH Virus
I'd accidentally sent this to Michale alone, instead of the group as a
whole. My apologies.

I believe I had the same thing a year ago, and had to reset the Flash BIOS
memory to get my system to finally come around. I'm providing a link that
pretty well explains the workings of the CIH virus.
Don't know if this helps, but worth a try.

Good Luck

http://www.virusbtn.com/VirusInformation/cih.html

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 00:14:17 GMT

1. Advice on CIH Virus.

2. w95.cih virus

3. Help CIH virus

4. PLease Help : CIH Virus

5. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

6. Off topic: CIH

7. CIH AND DATA RECOVERY

8. Off topic: CIH - Data recovery possible

9. CIH author's being prosecuted!

10. win95.cih on windows ME

11. W95.cih help !!