New desktop shortcut and window display at windows startup
Author Message
 New desktop shortcut and window display at windows startup

I have encountered a condition where a desktop shortcut
with the name "Hottest shows on the net" is created each
time that Windows 98 is started.  In addition, a window is
opened which displays some {*filter*} material and offers to
link to the URL "www.sexmansion.com".  Upon further
investigation, I find that a new folder named "ecommerce"
has been created in the root directory of the C drive,
containing several files as follows: Dialer.exe and
dialer.ini.  Deleting the shortcut and deleting, or
renaming this folder will cause the folder and shortcut to
be recreated at the next Windows startup.  I have looked
in all the usual places, Startup, Run and Run services
areas of the registry, etc. and cannot identify what is
causing this folder and shortcut to be created.

Has anyone encountered this one, or does anyone have any
suggestions where else to look for the file being run at
Windows startup which is causing this to happen?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:50:45 GMT
 New desktop shortcut and window display at windows startup
A few things for your info, use msconfig
go to start run and type in msconfig you will see various
tabs, go to start up, and you will see all the programs
that start on boot, whatever is checked, if you don't want
something to run uncheck it.

also get adaware, and run it keep it up to date.
it will scan your system and (when you have it configured
properly) it will remove spyware from your pc, this is
what's taken over your internet browser and home page.

Quote:

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:49:57 GMT

1. Creating an Shortcut Icon on the Windows Desktop

2. Windows desktop shortcut using Installjammer doesnot work

3. how to avoid startup error windows on Windows?

4. Database results displayed in New Window

5. Telnet via Expect from Windows to Windows (Text is not displayed correctly)

6. Tk_Window (created with Tk_CreateWindow) doesn't display the new window

7. HELP:GL window displayed within TK window

8. Creating a desktop shortcut

9. Create ShortCut on Desktop

10. Shortcut on the desktop

11. Creating desktop shortcuts: the answer

12. Create Desktop Shortcut