SULFNBK.EXE
Author Message
 SULFNBK.EXE

What is this exe file and what does it do?
It is in the Windows\command dir and I heard it is a virus.

Klaas

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:40:38 GMT
 SULFNBK.EXE

Quote:
> What is this exe file and what does it do?
> It is in the Windows\command dir and I heard it is a virus.

You heard incorrectly. What you heard was a hoax.

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:45:48 GMT
 SULFNBK.EXE

> On Fri, 25 May 2001 13:45:48 +0100, "Robert Moir"

> discussion:

> >> What is this exe file and what does it do?
> >> It is in the Windows\command dir and I heard it is a virus.

> >You heard incorrectly. What you heard was a hoax.

> Yes, but.....

> If you receive a copy of SULFNBK.EXE as an attachment in email, it is
> most likely infected with Magistr, a {*filter*} little virus that can do a
> lot of damage.  So, it's not really a hoax per se, but a
> misunderstanding on the part of clueless users.

** Magistr uses 8 character long file names and this is not a known file
name for Magister. Most of that names are randomly selected and does not
mean a known name.

But this file may be infexted by any virus targetting the.EXE files and if
you receive it as an attachment it cam be dangerous !

Quote:

> The file in the command directory is a DOS utility that can be used to
> restore long file names.  It is not necessary for Windows to function,
> and if you deleted it, nothing bad will happen to your PC.

** Not so true ! This file has jobs in Windows and windows installation;
MSDOS promt and some restores - recovaries referring Dos promt. You may not
forget that, windows is an interface running over the Dos base. Dos and
Windows need each other to work in this OS. So, it is wrong to say "nothing
bad will happen", they can loose file names in the Dos promt.

Quote:

> The original "hoax" pointed out the difference between the file that
> came with your OS (Win98 only, BTW) and the attachment, which could be
> infected, but no one seems to notice that.

** I wonder in which line of hoax is it pointed ?

Regards..

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:13:38 GMT

1. how do I restore sulfnbk.exe?

2. SULFNBK.exe - virus?

3. is SULFNBK.EXE a virus?

4. Virus: SULFNBK.exe ?

5. How do you restore the sulfnbk.exe file?

6. -- SULFNBK.EXE Mailing is a HOAX --

7. sulfnbk.exe ? Hoax ?

8. 32-Bit NMAKE.EXE, LINK.EXE, LIB.EXE, & RC.EXE

9. c5print.exe and c5printx.exe cannot run in the root directory of a network drive

10. cscn.exe and cvvt.exe

11. ABC Exe Called From Clarion Exe

12. Splitting a big .exe in a smale.exe and many ddl's in C4b