Kak Virus
Author Message
 Kak Virus

Hi

I recently received an e-mail from a friend telling me that a virus had
previously been sent in another e-mail. Too late!!

I went to the Symantec website for help as I have no antivirus software
installed. It was a KAK virus. I found some instructions to remove the
virus, etc which I followed and it seems to have done the trick. The online
virus checker at Symantec did not find it the second time.

I was wondering exactly what the KAK virus is. What will it do to my or
others' systems if left undetected?
What is scripting and do I need it?

Thanks

Stu

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 05:50:56 GMT
 Kak Virus
All you have to do to protect yourself from KAK type viruses is to update your IE/OE, Microsoft issued a patch for this a long time ago and the protection is built into subsequent versions.  Keeping your software up-to-date is as important as running virus protection.

Hi

I recently received an e-mail from a friend telling me that a virus had
previously been sent in another e-mail. Too late!!

I went to the Symantec website for help as I have no antivirus software
installed. It was a KAK virus. I found some instructions to remove the
virus, etc which I followed and it seems to have done the trick. The online
virus checker at Symantec did not find it the second time.

I was wondering exactly what the KAK virus is. What will it do to my or
others' systems if left undetected?
What is scripting and do I need it?

Thanks

Stu

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:05:59 GMT
 Kak Virus

Quote:
> All you have to do to protect yourself from KAK type viruses is to
> update your IE/OE, Microsoft issued a patch for this a long time ago
> and the protection is built into subsequent versions.  Keeping your
> software up-to-date is as important as running virus protection.

That is true only if you do not already *have* an active infection.

Once infected, you have to disinfect **and** install the IE patch or an
IE update.  Patching or updating an infected system laves it infected.

--
Nick FitzGerald

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:26:13 GMT
 Kak Virus

Quote:

> I recently received an e-mail from a friend telling me that a virus had
> previously been sent in another e-mail. Too late!!

> I went to the Symantec website for help as I have no antivirus software
> installed. It was a KAK virus. I found some instructions to remove the
> virus, etc which I followed and it seems to have done the trick. The online
> virus checker at Symantec did not find it the second time.

Did these include installing the IE security patch from MS?  If so, did you
actually do that?

Quote:
> I was wondering exactly what the KAK virus is. What will it do to my or
> others' systems if left undetected?
> What is scripting and do I need it?

A good description of what Kak does is available at:

   http://www.cai.com/virusinfo/encyclopedia/descriptions/wscript.htm

--
Nick FitzGerald

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:27:25 GMT
 Kak Virus

> Hi

> I recently received an e-mail from a friend telling me that a virus had
> previously been sent in another e-mail. Too late!!

> I went to the Symantec website for help as I have no antivirus software

** You may use an AntiVirus SW and update / upgrade it all the time... Some
times, it is not able to recover the loss !

Quote:
> installed. It was a KAK virus. I found some instructions to remove the
> virus, etc which I followed and it seems to have done the trick. The
online
> virus checker at Symantec did not find it the second time.

** Cleaned ? If it is an anti-KAK exe which resets the needed settings
mentioned below ! But you may fallow the instructions below !!!

Quote:

> I was wondering exactly what the KAK virus is. What will it do to my or
> others' systems if left undetected?

** You can find the all details about KAK including how to remove and
prevent :

**** After cleaning your system you MUST fallow the steps mentioned as
"removal instructions" at the links above !! Then you can say you are in
safe for the moment.

Quote:
> What is scripting and do I need it?

** Due to the security issues, it is not a must to enable the sicripting;
you can choose disable or promt and it does not effect the functions on your
system.

Quote:

> Thanks

> Stu

** Using an AntiVirus SW and / or cleaning such this kind of viruses are nyt
the solution, you may also install the SPs and Patches of Microsoft for the
security of your system !

Recommended Updates:
* "scriptlet.typelib/Eyedog" vulnerability patch * "Malformed
E-mail MIME Header" vulnerability patch

* Outlook as an email attachment security update

* Exchange 5.5 post SP3 Information Store Patch 5.5.2652.42

* For a list of attachments blocked by the Outlook patch and a general FAQ,
visit this link.
Additionally, Network Administrators can configure this update using an
available tool - visit this link for more information.

Good Luck...

Orhan

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:23:15 GMT
 Kak Virus
Thanks for the help.

I did the disinfect stage and then installed the security hole patch as per
the link provided on the Symantec site. I also had a look at some other
updates on the MS site. I figured that it could not hurt to install as many
security and vulnerability patches as possible. Unless anyone would like to
tell me otherwise.

Thanks for the input. The links were helpful.

Stu

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:07:13 GMT

1. Kak virus

2. how to delete kak virus?

3. KAK @M virus

4. VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

5. Report on CLOS BB by Kersten and Kak

6. vbs/kak worm help

8. bugabear virus and sweetadeline1 w32KlezEremovaltools virus

9. Virus/Test Virus wanted!

10. Help me get rid of this virus post has a virus in the post

11. Are Virus Protection Firms the Virus Coders !!

12. Virus Boot - Boot virus - help