Nimda Removal
Author Message
 Nimda Removal

I tried removing the W32.Nimda.enc virus from my
computer, following the previous directions I received on
the 9th, but it didn't work.  I downloaded the removal
tool from the site, and after I ran it, it said that the
Nimda virus was not found on my computer.  But, I keep
receiving the Virus Alerts from Norton AntiVirus about
Nimda and its inability to repair or delete the file.  I
don't think this virus has not really done anything major
to my computer, but it is really annoying that the Virus
Alert message comes up every 2 seconds.  Am I totally
screwed or what should I do?  Thanks to anyone who knows
how to help.

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:38:45 GMT
 Nimda Removal
Where does NAV say the virus is?

: I tried removing the W32.Nimda.enc virus from my
: computer, following the previous directions I received on
: the 9th, but it didn't work.  I downloaded the removal
: tool from the site, and after I ran it, it said that the
: Nimda virus was not found on my computer.  But, I keep
: receiving the Virus Alerts from Norton AntiVirus about
: Nimda and its inability to repair or delete the file.  I
: don't think this virus has not really done anything major
: to my computer, but it is really annoying that the Virus
: Alert message comes up every 2 seconds.  Am I totally
: screwed or what should I do?  Thanks to anyone who knows
: how to help.

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:31:13 GMT
 Nimda Removal
It says that the virus is in these random files that I
have never even heard of before.  Its like someone just
put these files on my computer that were infected because
I don't even recognize them for the most part.  Most of
the files I think are either documents or mp3's.

Heres an example of a file that I have never seen:

~wrl3969.eml
~wrl0811.eml
om shanti om (exteme shanti mix).eml

You know what I mean?  That third one looks like it was
an Mp3 but all the files now have an eml labeling and the
tool can't find the files to remove them, even though NAV
keeps popping them up.

Thanks

Quote:

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:19:42 GMT
 Nimda Removal

Quote:

> It says that the virus is in these random files that I
> have never even heard of before.  Its like someone just
> put these files on my computer that were infected because
> I don't even recognize them for the most part.  Most of
> the files I think are either documents or mp3's.

> Heres an example of a file that I have never seen:

> ~wrl3969.eml
> ~wrl0811.eml
> om shanti om (exteme shanti mix).eml

What directory are those files found in? If you have open
shares, Nimda will drop .eml files on them. Here is some
information I put up for Nimda and Code Red:

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/iisbugs.shtml

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services